Engine warning light after crash

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hands

hello to all Forum users and maintenance team ;)

I have recently bought the ION brother to the Imiev.
It had a crash( front crash with airbags off). I have give it a charge and a start. But...there is a engine light on, and each time I put it on D or R and make it run...turtle light is ON and car only drives in flat roads, unable to climb any hill...

Is there a security protocol when a car crash occurs? that can prevent battery to have its full power?

Thanks for all the help you can give me.

hands

Depending on how long the car sat, the main pack may be way out of balance, but I don't think that would cause reduced power. The android app CaniOn would help to check battery health.

As for the EV Warning light, that may be caused by a flat 12 volt battery. But, with the power reduction, it may also be lit up for other reasons.

The best way to tell is to either buy or find someone that has the MUT-III diagnostic tool. That can communicate with the car, read, and reset codes.

Hello PV1 and thank you for your help.

Car sat for 4/5 weeks with 2 lines of charge in it. But the crash It blew air bags, seat belt tensioners, headlights, bumper, front radiators, AC withou gas etc...so maybe there are a few errors preventing it to drive in full power mode...(???)

I am thinking on buying the Diagbox ( Citroen / Peugeot tool) to erase the errors, as the car is a Peugeot ION.
Do you think it is suitable, or is the MUTIII much better being from the car's creator?

Thanks
Hands

hands said:
But the crash It blew . . . . front radiators. . . . so maybe there are a few errors preventing it to drive in full power mode...(???)
I'm 99% sure that's the case - Since the control electronics knows the motor cooling system is inoperative, I'm sure it's got the car operating in a minimalist 'safe mode' which is intended only for you to move the car a few km's to a safe location . . . . so it can be towed to the shop for repairs

Don

Thank you so much Don ;) and good morning,

But isn't the cooling system on the back of the car? Next to the motor?
I thought the front radiator's were just for the heating system, and the other one the AC...

hands

I am surprised that the car runs at all. After an airbag deployment the car should be disabled and not driven until the airbag system has been repaired. The airbag controller cannot be reset after a crash and should be replaced. I say should be replaced as there are dozens of companies out there that will repair the controller and provide "emulators" to make the airbag controller function even if the airbags are not there---very dangerous to someone buying a used car. I bought a wrecked I-MiEV that didn't have an airbag deployment but was hit hard enough (rear) to set off a "G" switch in the controller which disabled the car from starting. I think this is the case with your car.

Hello siai47, and thank you for your comment, it still runs...with the turtle, but it runs

By "G" Switch you mean something to do with the ECU that must be erased by a workshop tool?

Here is some info from the imiev411 site and link to sketch showing the yaw/G sensor connected to the CAN bus:

High Voltage Protection System
The Mitsubishi i comes equipped with a High Voltage Control System that instantaneously shuts down the lithium-ion battery pack’s high voltage circuitry if the system detects any battery pack failure or leakage.

High Voltage Drive Battery Safety in a Collision
When a collision occurs, the EV-ECU de-energizes the High Voltage Drive Battery’s main contactors that shut down the high voltage circuit. Automatic disengagement of the electric powertrain and lithium-ion battery pack protect the vehicle’s occupants and rescue personnel such as police, fire and paramedics from the system’s high voltage properties.

A supplemental G-force sensor will activate and shut down the battery pack’s high-voltage circuit should the force of a collision be so great that it damages the High Voltage Control System, adding an additional level of protection to both the vehicle occupants and rescue personnel.

ASCsystem.jpg

Thanks kiev ;)

Should this G sensor be inside the car's cockpit or under? Any idea?
Car is only 10 months old so I hope I can bring it back to life soon.
hands

That's perfect kiev ;)

Yes I must def. get a code reader.
I am buying today, the one used by Citroen and Peugeot ( Diagbox). I hope it will have the same features as the MUTIII from Mitsu. What do you think?

Hands

Yes,
It is charged in FULL ;) now.
But the turtle I cannot take it out...I can only do that that just by using the Software tool right?

Yes it looks like the turtle can come on for other reasons also, and we don't know enough about the car yet to
take over control of it. Keep us posted what you find and how this works out.

Will do kiev, will do ;)

First of all let me see if the CITROEN/ PEUGEOT software can do the same as the MUT III ...
I will give it a try.

Hands

The "G" force sensor is in the airbag controller as mentioned in my earlier post. Put the car on a M.U.T. III scan tool to find out what codes are there. As I said before, the controller cannot be reset by you or the dealer and the controller should be replaced after the airbags have been replaced. To bad it is not an I-MiEV in the US as I have the complete front end and all the airbags sitting a few feet from me.

That would be great to be there...:)
I am finding the parts bit by bit...cause I really need the wheel airbag to be from Peugeot has the car has the Peugeot badge.
I will used the Peugeot's MUTIII brother DIAGBOX , and see what will happen.

Thanks a lot ;)

Hello there, back to work with the ION.

Siai47, do you think I can use a good Airbag controller ( from a car that never deployed airbags) and put it in my car? Does it have to be VIN coded?

Thanks

From what i have read in the service manual, the DIABOX (or MUT) would be used to code the VIN into any control box that is changed out.

Great ;)

Do you think I should change the airbags prior to install the new airbag ECU controller?
Or even with the airbags deployed it doesn't make any difference?
I am afraid if i put the new airbag controller in, it would assume the errors of the airbags not being changed yet...

Still haven't found new ones to fit in...

Back