Insurance hassles

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

I'd been with Progressive since 2002, covering three different cars. When I went to replace the Prius with the i-MiEV on their web site, at first it seemed painless -- but then, instead of the expected new premium, I saw "Requires special processing". Huh? Was this the first i-MiEV they'd been asked to insure, or what? Finally, a few days later, they gave me a price: four times what I'd been paying! For the same level of coverage. And I was carrying basically the state minimum, with no collision or comprehensive.

So, I shopped around, and Allstate was able to give me a quote about the same as I'd been paying, and didn't act like they'd never heard of the i-MiEV. I was even able to increase my coverage and stay under my old premium (so now I have comprehensive, with a high deductible -- still no collision). So, I guess it worked out for the best? But it bugs me.

My White i-MiEV (Bear) was under Progressive for at least a year, before we switched to Allstate. Now, both cars are under Allstate.

Given the massive depreciation on these cars, you have to wonder what the problem is. It wouldn't take much to total it for cheap, and I can't believe they're particularly accident-prone. Perhaps Progressive has had some personal injury claims experience that's skewed their underwriting - we need to remember it's a very tiny population.

Insured my new 14 model via Farmers without any problem. Not sure what's the problem with Progressive. I was thinking about getting a Fiat e at the time and my insurance agent quoted me $100 cheaper for full coverage for the Fiat e. Go figure!

I just wanted to chime in with my Ins numbers.

I had one month left before my policy renews( Eastern Insurance through Hanover). I have 2 other vehicles on this policy.
$300 something for "last" year- they will prorate and bill me later.
For June 2015 to 2016 just the 'i' is $277 for basic plus Comprehensive (just so I am covered for Glass and vandalism).

Back