Rear bumper damage

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithim

Well, after over 17600 care free miles, the rear bumper of my car was hit by an inattentive driver yesterday evening on the way home from an electric car club meeting!!! Luckily it was low speed but popped most of the plastic rivets loose and now the bumper is misaligned. Has anyone had repairs done or seen what's behind the bumper and possibly also damaged or bent. Is there a good exploded diagram available.
Had an estimate done but am concerned about the "hidden items".
Thanks
2012. ES, silver with QC

Sorry about your collision. I've been waiting the day that happens to me.

Looking under the i-MiEV, it appears there is a big styrofoam block between the cosmetic bumper and the steel bumper. I'd check that and see if the steel bumper shows any signs of being torqued. There is a considerable gap between the bumper and the drivetrain.

I'll take a look under my i-MiEV and see if there is anything in the service manual.

This weekend I got under the car to look at the damage. The styrofoam block looks intact however the steel bumper appears to be bent toward the front of the car and the two brackets (right and left) that secure the bumper to the frame also appear to be torqued.
Have had one estimate from Mitsubishi and want to get another from a regular body shop.

Back