Leaning

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

I didn't notice this at first, but, looking at my parked car from the back, the left (driver's) side seems slightly lower than the right -- maybe by an inch or two. My first thought was the tires, but they're all original and they all read a nominal 36 PSI. Is this something I should be concerned about? It seems to drive fine.

Is it parked on absolutely level terrain? Swap ends (park it where it is now, but reversed front to back) and check to see if it's still leaning . . . . and leaning the same direction

Don

I see it wherever I park. I'm pretty sure my garage floor is level, but, I haven't actually tried backing it in there. I'll try that...

Meanwhile, I think I can quantify it now. I took a tape measure from the ground, through the center of the wheel, to the fender. Left rear: 25.5". Right rear: 26". (The front wheels were even, just under 25" on both sides IIRC.)

OK, I backed it in, and I measured it forwards and backwards in the garage and on the driveway. I'm not sure I can still confirm it visually (what with the sloping roof of the garage and the lack of room behind the car when it's backed in), but the measurements were consistent (25.5" left, 26" right).

Also, perhaps unrelated, but last night while driving, I heard this sound like an aluminum can doing... something. I'd have thought I hit road debris, but it was so loud. No effect on the ride, and nothing I could see once I stopped.

Well, I got another look through the open garage door, at the front, and -- it looked like it was leaning the other way (i.e. towards the passenger side, which was now the left, from my perspective). So, I'm going to put that down to optical illusion, due to the sloping roof. I'm guessing just the height/shape of the car is why I never saw this with my previous car.

I had thought that the roof illusion was probably an issue, but then, there are still the measurements. Is a half-inch just too small a difference to worry about? Is it normal, even? Sorry to be so OCD. ;)

tigger19687 said:
I think we needs pics :)

CDxiHYAW0AEu9vh.jpg:large

In my driveway. Doesn't show the "lean", though. :)

Do you have any tire wear on that corner?

i measured 25+5/8" for both rears and 25+1/8 at the Front Left and 25 FR. The FR is quite a bit worn down and the FL is a new tire.

i haven't found any sort of adjustable linkage at the rear for ride height.

Check your wheelbase left to right, tape measure on the ground wheel center-to-center, i eyeball measured 100", spec is 100.4, but any big variation side to side would indicate something bent, loose, twisted or misaligned.

Could be the LR shock is worn and sagged out, but wouldn't expect that with fairly new cars, although the shock is kinda tiny... kenny

Back