What is this thing?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

Hello all,

I just bought a used 2012 i-MiEV today. :) So far, so good. But one thing has me puzzled... On the keychain the dealer gave me, besides the key and the charging remote, there was this thing:

A2s3bvU.jpg

Is this something to do with the i-MiEV, or just something that a dealer uses (for what?) that he gave me by mistake, or... what? Does anyone know? It appears to have a button battery protruding from the end, but it doesn't do anything apparent by itself.

The dealer was suppose to cut that piece off of the key chain as it is used by the dealer. The item has nothing to do with the i-MiEV at all. We use these at the dealer I work at too so that is why I recognized it immediately. The item is a digital key tag of sort that is used at our dealer for inventory compliance. It is programmed into an inventory system with the vehicle's year, make, model, trim, color, parking location, etc. for tracking where and who has the keys to said vehicle.

For example, say I want to go test drive a vehicle. I first log into the inventory tracking system, either with a PIN or a fingerprint scanner, then input a inventory stock number to find said vehicle, confirm the reason for taking out the key (i.e. test drive) and then shortly after the key is released to me. This way they know who took the vehicle keys out of the safe (me), for what reason (test drive) and when I return the key where I may have parked the car (the back lot, front lot, showroom, etc.)

These key tags have to be assigned to each and every vehicle in inventory with a corresponding stock number. Its tedious work but its suppose to provide accountability and prevents keys and cars from going missing. I hope that clears things up a bit. Otherwise, you can toss it in the garbage or return it back to the dealer. I'm sure they won't care as they order new ones and replace old ones after a while. Seems a little wasteful in my opinion but this piece must be pretty inexpensive I guess.

Back