Headlights

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennrod12

How are folks finding the headlights? Ours seem to be aimed a little low, not casting as far down the road as I like - has anyone else experienced this? There are no instructions in the manual for adjusting them, that I could find.

I like the fact that I can leave them switched in the "on" position and they automatically turn off when I exit the car, though. I call that DIY daytime running lights!

Jenn

Yes, though that sharp cutoff line is nice, I would also prefer the headlights be aimed up a bit- find myself flashing the high beams to make sure there's no surprises up ahead. I'm wondering if this is an unintended consequence of Mitsu refitting the car with smaller tires up front? I haven't found yet whether the headlights are adjustable...
btw Jenn, congrats on getting your car!

I would be careful about aiming them too high, those projector headlights may really annoy other drivers it it hits them in the eyes. I took a look into the headlight beams and wow all you see are big green spots after looking at them.

The Auto headlight ON setting is set way too sensitive on my car, a shadow from a underpass or bridge cause the lights to turn ON and then go OFF as soon as your out of the shadow. I know I have already made other drivers mad thinking I'm flashing my headlights at them wanting them to go faster.

I didn't notice mine being aimed too low. And, I'm familiar with headlights being aimed down. On my van, I purposely have the low-beams aimed low. This is because I use it for towing trailers and the added weight of the trailer pushes the rear of the vehicle down. To avoid blinding oncoming drivers when I'm towing, the lights are aimed low when I'm driving without a trailer - and I notice the difference.

As mentioned, the i-MiEV's lights do have the very sharp cutoff common on European cars. If you are not use to this style, that might be what's bothering you. That is, American lights often have more stray light above the cutoff line, so you do get more light further down the road.

However, I think there must be a way to adjust the lights. Even if they could manufacture the car so will that an adjustment wasn't necessary (I doubt this), not having an adjustment would prevent them from making suspension or tire changes (like for different markets, or just for product updates) without making new lights.

jennrod12 said:
There are no instructions in the manual for adjusting them, that I could find ... Jenn
HEADLAMP MANUAL LEVELING SYSTEM Just above (correction BELOW the mirror adjust which is below) the cup holder on the left side.

The beam direction of the headlamps changes according to the number of passengers and the amount of load. The headlamp manual leveling function is a system that allows the driver to change the direction of headlamp beam so that the drivers of oncoming cars are not dazzled by the headlamps. The headlamp leveling dial allows changing the direction in five steps: 0 to 4.

I don't have a car or an owner's manual, but the left most dial rolls up and down in five steps. The setting should be ZERO for one or two people and 1 for 3 or 4 people. The setting of 2 might be needed for a heavy load. My guess is that your dial is maxed out at FOUR.

[//Joking ON= "Very Stupid"] So instead rolling the dial back to zero, We could hull four very heavy people and a heavy load in the back. Nah, even that wouldn't be enough. Ou, ou, I know. Install 12" low profile tires on the back. That should do it! sweet. {// Joking OFF = "I hope you're satisfied"]

Fiddler John,

That sounds like a great feature, but it doesn't seem to be present on my ES model. I don't have a dial above the cup holder. :(

Jenn

jennrod12 said:
Fiddler John ... I don't have a dial above the cup holder.... Jenn
Sorry, BELOW the left cup holder is the mirror adjust and below the mirror adjust is the up/down Headlight adjust. I see it in photos. There are two controls (Headlamps and active stability control (ASC) system switch) just below the mirror adjust and above the charging lid opening handle. Do you have a mirror adjust and ASC switch?

jennrod12 said:
I have the mirror adjust and the ASC switch, but just a blank panel next to the ASC switch... Jenn
Sorry. That's explans why the "HEADLAMP MANUAL LEVELING SYSTEM" is not in the owner's manual. Since it is not in the owner's manual there is no chance of it being on the other USA models either.

This is a reality check, calibration, data point for me.
Quixotix said:
...there must be a way to adjust the lights.
UPDATE: The screwdriver adjustment is explained on the next page.

The following is the remote adjustment for European et al models:
1.The headlamp levelling switch increases the resistance as it is turned from 0 to 4. Turning the headlamp levelling switch changes the voltage at point A. When the headlamp levelling switch is turned from 0 to 4, the voltage at point A decreases. Upon detection of this voltage change, the headlamp levelling unit turns the motor to lower the beam direction. At this time, the resistance of the variable resistor in the headlamp assembly changes, and the voltage at point B decreases gradually. When the voltages at points A and B become equal, the headlamp levelling unit stops the motor.
2.Turning the headlamp levelling switch from 4 to 0 increases the voltage at point A, and then the headlamp levelling unit turns the motor in the direction opposite to that mentioned in Item 1, increasing the voltage at point B. When the voltages at points A and B become equal, the headlamp levelling unit stops the motor.
3.The headlamp levelling unit detects voltage changes caused by headlamp levelling switch operation, and turns the motor to change the directions of the headlamp reflectors for the adjustment of the headlamp beam directio

5330736_orig.png

Here is the adjustment for the headlamp, it still has the drive cable attached coming out of the rear of the small bevel gear (arrow) even though we don't have automatic adjustment. I didn't have enough time to take out the light, maybe next weekend.

Cool, thanks Wee John,

I opened the hood and looked around a bit and saw that gear - thought it must have something to do with the adjustment, but couldn't figure out how to really get at it.

Jenn

When you say it still has the drive cable attached, does that mean it would be easy enough to set up the headlight leveling feature even though the US cars don't have the knob?

I wonder where the other end of the cable ends up? Is it just stuffed behind the panel where the adjustment dial is supposed to be?

That is what I am thinking. I started to take the light out to follow the cable and see if it has the motor connected or if it is a manual adjustment at the end of the cable.

jennrod12 said:
Yes, please keep us posted :) ...
Do not cover a headlamp for more than three minutes to prevent the plastic headlamp lens deformation.
33-do-not-cover-headlamp-more-than-three-minutes-prevent-plastic-headlamp-lens-deformation.png

1. The low-beam headlamp should project on the screen upper edge of the beam (cut-off).
Insert a Philips screwdriver into the horizontal and vertical headlamp adjusting holes. Then adjust the main beam aiming to the standard value by turning the adjusting screws with the screwdriver.
32-standard-value-vertical-direction%3B-36-mm-0-69%B0-below-horizontal-h-horizontal-direction%3B-elbow-point-intersects-vertical-line-v-limit-vertical-direction%3B-%B115-mm-%B10-29%B0-horizontal-cut-off-line-horizontal-direction%3B-%B1-26-mm-%B1-0-5%B0-vertical-line-v.png

Standard value:
Vertical direction; 36 mm (0.69°) below horizontal (H)
Horizontal direction; Elbow point intersects the vertical line (V)
Limit:
Vertical direction; ±15 mm (±0.29°) from the horizontal cut-off line
Horizontal direction; ± 26 mm (± 0.5°) from the vertical line (V)

36-headlamp-levelling-switch.png

37-headlamp-levelling-unit.png

34-if-electric-motor-switch-turned-position-m-u-t-iii-connected-vehicle-headlamp-automatic-levelling-warning-displayed-multi-information-display-combination-meter-symptom-occurs-because-headlamp-automatic-levelling-ecu-enters-diagnosis-mode-when-m-u-t-iii-connected-diagnosis-connector-does-not-indicate-malfunction-therefore-ignore-indicator-display-carry-out-diagnosis-using-m-u-t-iii-when-m-u-t-iii-starts-communication-ecu-indicator-display-disappears.jpg

Notice the dashboard control (next to the ASC) is a resistor divider to TWO comparator/drivers for the TWO Headlamp Leveling Motors.
35-headlamp-manual-levelling-system.png

I'm hoping this is more readable.
38-headlamp-manual-levelling-system-circuit.png

Details of connectors
39-headlamp-levelling-switch-connector-b-27.png
40-headlamp-levelling-switch-connectors-13-26.png

Fiddler John,

Thank you for posting these pictures! When I first viewed your post, there was only text and it wasn't quite making sense. I was going to post a reply, quoting your text, and when I used the quoting button I saw a link was there - a link that was invisible to me when I read your post. I followed the link and wound up at another forum, www.i-mievforum.com. When I registered on that forum, I came back here and I can now see the illustrations your posted!

I bet these illustrations are in many of your posts, I am going to have to go back and look at your old ones.

Am I the only one that was in the dark about the other forum?

Jenn

jennrod12 said:
Fiddler John,

Thank you for posting these pictures! When I first viewed your post, there was only text and it wasn't quite making sense. I was going to post a reply, quoting your text, and when I used the quoting button I saw a link was there - a link that was invisible to me when I read your post. I followed the link and wound up at another forum, http://www.i-mievforum.com. When I registered on that forum, I came back here and I can now see the illustrations your posted!

I bet these illustrations are in many of your posts, I am going to have to go back and look at your old ones.

Am I the only one that was in the dark about the other forum?

Jenn

I just experienced the same thing. I could see links to the pictures only if I started a quoted reply. The pictures weren't showing up in the posts. Then, after visitint the other imiev forum and registering, I came back here and could see all the pictures.

I'd say that there is a bug in the software of the forum. I'm hoping that a moderator notices this and maybe can look into the issue. Those pictures that were posted are SO useful, and very few people get to see them!

N

I cannot see it either. Let me try:

36-headlamp-levelling-switch.png

http://www.i-mievforum.com/forum/members/jannen/albums/headlamp-adjust/36-headlamp-levelling-switch.png

37-headlamp-levelling-unit.png

http://www.i-mievforum.com/forum/members/jannen/albums/headlamp-adjust/37-headlamp-levelling-unit.png

34-if-electric-motor-switch-turned-position-m-u-t-iii-connected-vehicle-headlamp-automatic-levelling-warning-displayed-multi-information-display-combination-meter-symptom-occurs-because-headlamp-automatic-levelling-ecu-enters-diagnosis-mode-when-m-u-t-iii-connected-diagnosis-connector-does-not-indicate-malfunction-therefore-ignore-indicator-display-carry-out-diagnosis-using-m-u-t-iii-when-m-u-t-iii-starts-communication-ecu-indicator-display-disappears.jpg

http://www.i-mievforum.com/forum/members/jannen/albums/headlamp-adjust/34-if-electric-motor-switch-turned-position-m-u-t-iii-connected-vehicle-headlamp-automatic-levelling-warning-displayed-multi-information-display-combination-meter-symptom-occurs-because-headlamp-automatic-levelling-ecu-enters-diagnosis-mode-when-m-u-t-iii-connected-diagnosis-connector-does-not-indicate-malfunction-therefore-ignore-indicator-display-carry-out-diagnosis-using-m-u-t-iii-when-m-u-t-iii-starts-communication-ecu-indicator-display-disappears.jpg

((Notice the dashboard control (next to the ASC) is a resistor divider to TWO comparator/drivers for the TWO Headlamp Leveling Motors.))

35-headlamp-manual-levelling-system.png

http://www.i-mievforum.com/forum/members/jannen/albums/headlamp-adjust/35-headlamp-manual-levelling-system.png

((I'm hoping this is more readable.))

38-headlamp-manual-levelling-system-circuit.png

http://www.i-mievforum.com/forum/members/jannen/albums/headlamp-adjust/38-headlamp-manual-levelling-system-circuit.png

((Details of connectors))

39-headlamp-levelling-switch-connector-b-27.png

http://www.i-mievforum.com/forum/members/jannen/albums/headlamp-adjust/39-headlamp-levelling-switch-connector-b-27.png

40-headlamp-levelling-switch-connectors-13-26.png

http://www.i-mievforum.com/forum/members/jannen/albums/headlamp-adjust/40-headlamp-levelling-switch-connectors-13-26.png

====

Looks like trouble in the forum software. Either path to images is a bit long or rights management is missing bits.

Trying to download the images gets me only the first 43 bytes but no error message.

Converting the png to jpg (or renaming?) might trick the software to do the right thing.

Back