My BIG adventure this past weekend.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkarl89203

Finally did it.

Drove to Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Saturday morning. Charged enroute in Elkhorn, WI.
Used the GMR quickcharger in Milwaukee twice, and the AAA Chargepoint L2 Charger in Milwaukee once to top up.
Then, drove to Johnson Creek, WI and used my Blink card for the first time on L2 at Kohls.
After that, drove to Madison and used the MGE Quickcharger and the Princeton Club L2 Chargepoint charger. Then, drove back home here to Rockford, IL.

246 miles! $1.10 at Blink Charger, and $1.86 here at home were my only fuel charges.
I went 246 miles on $2.96! Yowza!

I love my Imiev!

What route did you take between Madison and Rockford? I've wanted to go out of town with mine, and the farmers market in Madison is a nice destination. But I've been hesitant about taking I-90.

rkarl89203 said:
Finally did it.

Drove to Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Saturday morning. Charged enroute in Elkhorn, WI.
Used the GMR quickcharger in Milwaukee twice, and the AAA Chargepoint L2 Charger in Milwaukee once to top up.
Then, drove to Johnson Creek, WI and used my Blink card for the first time on L2 at Kohls.
After that, drove to Madison and used the MGE Quickcharger and the Princeton Club L2 Chargepoint charger. Then, drove back home here to Rockford, IL.

246 miles! $1.10 at Blink Charger, and $1.86 here at home were my only fuel charges.
I went 246 miles on $2.96! Yowza!

I love my Imiev!

Have you any idea what where the temperatures in the battery in the end? The i-MiEV wasn´t made to do such long trips. Yes we can do it, but we will pay a price, specially if we drive it fast, in long trips, without letting the battery temperatures going back down. When you drive they are getting hot, when you are charging they are getting hot, so if we are using it, day by day, without letting the temperatures going down, we will loss more then 10% in an year. But yes, some of us have some solutions to that, and we can even make temperatures going down when driving, with the cold air of the air conditioner going to the battery, losing something like 10% in range (that´s my choice in this summer days, don´t want to see more then 30º C in my battery no more - OK, they can be there, but not for several hours).

To Brian in Rockford...
I take the direct way using Mapquest from Madison to Rockford. I use the Quickcharger to get to 80%, then the Princeton Club charger to top up. There are a lot of back roads, so its no problem with careful regenerative ECO mode or traffic. Also, if you go the Stoughton route there is a free L2 opportunity there. I have been to Madison 3 times roundtrip now and the key is take the direct back road route and charge to full in Madison. If you need help with the route PM me and I can help you with it.

As for the battery temp, that is not a problem here in the upper Midwest.

also to Brian in Rockford, the QC in Madison is now Greenlots and costs about $4.00 a charge.

A further note: we have now traveled quite a bit out of town, to Milwaukee twice, to North Chicago twice, and once to Galena. Just takes a lot of planning, some patience, and Plugshare is essential.

I am planning a Route 66 trip...now There's a challenge!

Back