I think I broke my car

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Driving home through a wonderful snow fall, after charging up at my friend's place after getting PHEV'ed twice (my first time being denied charging) at the convention center, my dash lit up trying to go up the driveway.

I gave two attempts, both times stopping halfway, so I shut off ASC and stepped on it. I was doing about 35 mph spinning, but making progress. I get almost to the top, and the RBS, ABS, ASC, and ASC Off lights come on. I think the EV warning light even came on, but shut off at the top. I did two restarts, and the lights are still there.

So, did I break my car, or is this more of the bullish behavior and will clear once I start driving normally?

Have you driven it since the lights came on? You might have to drive a little bit without excessive wheel spin to reset those warnings. I had a similar thing happen when I jacked the back end of the car up and spun the rear tires to look for some tire runout. The ABS didn't like that and a slew of warning lights came on. They didn't go out until I had driven several hundred feet and then everything was back to normal.

One small trick to getting into driveway that is slight up hill .... turn around and go backwards.
It really was the only way I was able to do that with a Rear Wheeled drive car back in the day
;)

Let us know what happens. I have to laugh when these things happen and you all tell about it.
It's like a little 2 y/o throwing a tantrum about not liking what you are doing
:lol:

Tigger, that's the purpose of an owner's forum. We all share the behavior traits of our cars and collectively reverse engineer it, so that if other i-MiEV owners encounter one of our car's unique behaviors, a quick search on Google brings them here and they can read through and learn about what caused that behavior.

Oh, you meant the car throwing a tantrum, right? If so, :lol: so true.

The lights were still on when I started up this morning, and and ABS did not work when I started down the driveway. Of course, once I realized that my front tires were locked up, I took my foot off the brake, rolled for about half a second, then the lights went out and ABS started working. The car was fine all the way to work. So, it seems to be more of the unique nature of the i-MiEV in that it doesn't like the back wheels going 30 mph faster than the front for a perceived half mile.

My brother's driving my silver car, and since he couldn't make the driveway, he parked down by the road. I went and rescued it this morning. Had to do the same thing to make the driveway, pointed straight uphill, ASC off, spinning at 35 mph. I must not have hit the distance threshold as the silver car didn't light up.

All is good.

:) Yes I meant the car, not the operator ;)

I LOVE these forums !
It is so nice to know that others are having/not having issues and ways of fixing it

I've had this happen twice in snow drift "incidents" after a few shut downs and re starts the car behaved normally once I removed it from the snow drift and drove for a few hundred feet :roll:

Back