Weird interior trim issue

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkarl89203

Anyone else experience deterioration of the arm rest plastic on the interior passenger side? Bought the car in March, but it WAS a new 2012.....should be covered by the warranty...but cmon!

Anyone else experience this? It's the semi-hard rubber/plastic where the window controls are on the passenger side. Looks like old-age cratering I've seen on some other cars but YEARS older.....only one of the 4 is doing this.

If you have an SE with the brown interior, it's the thin layer of paint peeling off. They took the grey ES trim and painted it.

I've had the same problem. Mine was on the drivers door in the pocket behind the window switches. Very poor quality part---the rubber coating just comes off. The first time it was replaced under warranty after much fussing by the dealer. Over time, all of these cars will wear if anything sharp (like a fingernail) gets near the armrest.

Yes, the 'paint' has been peeling on both of our armrests since the car was about 3 months old. Thought about complaining to the dealer about it, but never did

Don

Just get some vinyl wrap in your favourite colour and be done with it. I don't have the fancy ES model, but I have wrapped my armrest in a nice silver color. Sure beats the greenish/grey colour they came in.

http://www.amazon.com/Brown-Leather-Film-Vinyl-Sheet/dp/B0057ZQ8P4

This is a leather like film, you can get just about any color, sheen and style in vinyl wraps. It's easy to work with, you just need a hairdryer, a sharp knife like an X-acto Blade and some experimenting with how the vinyl works. You can find a lot of videos on YouTube to help you install it. Most of the vinyl these days have advanced adhesives that allow for you to slide the vinyl around until you have it in the perfect place.

http://www.metrorestyling.com/

This place has a lot of vinyl and allow for you to buy as little as one square foot. You won't need much for the arm rest may 2-3 square feet. I plan to wrap my entire car next spring in flat metallic red. I've got so many scratches in my paint - just a lot of bad luck on this car.

By the way the local non-Imiev Mitsubishi dealer easily and quickly ordered the armrest and replaced it. They are Anderson Mitsubishi here in Rockford....I was highly impressed by their attitude and service.
I wish they were I-miev certified.

JaRule817 said:
... I am really happy with the results! I got all of my supplies from ...

Ya JaRule, pic would be nice and when something like this is your first post, it looks like a fake testimonial for marketing purposes...

Hello,
Yes I've just noticed this deterioration on the passenger side 2 weeks ago..was also disappointed by the poor quality..SE 2012..I'm interested eventually in repairing it, so pictures of work already done would be super appreciated..

Mine has this too, it's an SE model 2012

Can someone point me in the direction on how to TAKE IT ALL OFF??? I was hoping that it would peel off, but NO......

OP here. We had this happen TWICE in our 2012 SE....fixed it both times under warranty.
Seems this is a weak design flaw.

OK, so how do you take ALL of the covering off ?? picking at it doesn't work very well

Not that I need another project but it is a little irritating when you have to sit and wait for someone and have nothing to read ...

Back