My longest single-charge trip

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarond12

Actually, this should be titled, "My unexpectedly longest single-charge trip."

Early this week, I had a business trip. The first in a long time -- in fact, the first since I got my i-MiEV. The airport parking is 24 miles away. No sweat! Well, they're highway miles. In Texas. Where the 60 MPH speed limit is taken as a minimum speed.

Having a round trip of 48 miles on the freeway makes me nervous. That's 80% of the rated 61 mile range. Fortunately, the airport parking has EV chargers they just installed. I can easily make this round trip with charging while I'm gone.

Sunday afternoon, I left my house and "featherfooted" my i-MiEV onto the freeway. It's amazing how flat Dallas is until you get an EV, then all the little hills and undulations become apparent. I drove between 57 and 62 miles per hour on this 60 MPH freeway. I thought that was reasonable. I wasn't passing anyone, but I wasn't getting honked at or flipped off.

I made it to the airport parking with an indicated 2/3rds of my battery left. (I don't use the RR meter in normal conditions.) Great! I didn't think the i-MiEV could do so well at freeway speeds! (My day-to-day drive is on side streets. After a full charge, my normal city driving shows "89 miles" on the RR meter. I drive exclusively in "B" mode.)

The electric vehicle charging was clearly marked at the lot. Wonderful! I pulled up and saw two eVgo chargers. I'm not an eVgo member since I have no use for a subscription to charging. Fortunately it was marked "Aerovironment", of which I have a fob for that. Scanned the fob, started the car charging, saw the "charging" light illuminate. Great! Time for my flight.

Upon returning on Wednesday, there were two LEAFs next to me and my car was disconnected from the charger. Okay, hopefully someone left me charging long enough. I got into the car and... 2/3rds battery. Flippin' great. I hope this is enough to get home! There are few chargers on my way home.

Upon leaving the facility, the manager ran up to my vehicle and asked, "Is your car charged?" I replied, "No." He apologized and explained to me that the circuit breaker tripped on the charger and that they just had some electricians fix it up. He gave me a free day parking and another apology. I can accept that.

I featherfooted the i-MiEV again on the way back home. It's amazing how the battery gauge drops faster in the middle than at the beginning. It also didn't help to have a headwind and 95°F temperatures. I had to use the air conditioning not to sweat like a fiend, but I cycled it on and off as it got really warm in the car.

Staying between 57 and 62 MPH again, I did get home and had an indicated 1/4 battery left. I now have full confidence that, if I needed to, I could use the i-MiEV for a single-charge round trip to the airport (which is several miles farther than the airport parking I used). I've always had confidence in the i-MiEV on the side streets. Now my freeway confidence is higher too.

PS: After a full charge the next morning, my RR meter reported 61 miles.

Great experience

Slow highway speeds - (50-60 mph, This is where I appreciate traffic)
are often better than secondary roads especially if they have a a lot of stops and starts.
I find accelerating from stop signs/traffic lights uses a lot of power.

Now that you have pushed a little beyond your normal comfort zone you might just start to venture a little farther with out worry.

Since I am retired I've been a little more adventurous.
I always carry my charging kit , (50' ext cord with several adapters, 110/240V EVSE)

My rule of thumb is
If there is a plug (of any kind) there is a charging opportunity.
All you need is some planning & time.

Yes, your car can do that trip with ease. I do it every day, 90% freeway - 27 miles each way. I drive between 80 & 90 kmh (50-60 mph) on a posted 100 kmh road. I don't care if anyone gets mad at me, I'm not paying their gas bills and that is what steering wheels were meant for, drive around.

Back