First REAL trip in my new Imiev

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkarl89203

FINALLY had the opportunity to take an actual out of town driving trip in our Imiev.
149 miles roundtrip from home -Rockford Illinois to Madison WI and back. Left with 71 miles range....ran around in Madison for awhile. Had a great lunch at Ellas deli near the State Capital building....then went to the MGE DC
Quickcharger.....stopped at another MGE Level 2 charger....got impatient....left for home.
Got home with 3 miles and one bar left....haha!
This is a darn fun car! Lots of questions from curious people on the way....in retrospect though I will Next time FULLY charge it before I head home!
The best part...all of the.MGE chargers are free.
149 miles total for an estimated fuel cost of $3.95...the charge at home before we left.
Way cool! I Love this car!

rkarl89203, congratulations on your first extended trip! Put a little excitement in your life! :) Must say I'm jealous of the DCQC!
rkarl89203 said:
...stopped at another MGE Level 2 charger....got impatient....left for home.
Got home with 3 miles and one bar left....haha!
This is a darn fun car! Lots of questions from curious people on the way....in retrospect though I will Next time FULLY charge it before I head home!...
Yes, when away from home you'll soon learn to sip fully at the electric spigot because unforeseen circumstances may force you to take an unexpected detour. I usually carry my iPad with me with lots of accumulated "to be read" material, so I actually welcome longer breaks on trips as that allows me to catch up on my reading backlog.

rkarl89203 said:
149 miles total for an estimated fuel cost of $3.95...the charge at home before we left.
Way cool! I Love this car!
We love ours too . . . . about twice as much!!

$3.95 for 16Kwh of electricity is about 25 cents per Kwh, which is a little more than twice what we pay here

Don

The $3.95 was just a rough estimate...may have been way high.
Still...when you consider a lot of cars get 25 mpg....this trip was about 6 gallons of gas....which would have been about $20 hereabouts....and we did it for under $4...
outstanding car!

When asked what it costs to operate the iMiEV, I tell people it's about 2.5 cents per mile . . . . which usually gets a blank stare from the person who asked the question, because most people have no idea what it costs per mile to operate their own car

So I elaborate that a car which gets 30 mpg city and burns $3 gasoline is 10 cents per mile, but very few cars can achieve 30 city and you can't buy $3 gas anywhere, so the iMiEV is at least 5 or 6 times cheaper to run than an average econo-box ICE powered car - Plus there's no oil and filter changes or timing belts to replace

If someone is running errands in a 15 mpg pick-up burning $3.75 gas, they would be at 25 cents per mile (10X the iMiEV cost) which is probably a more realistic comparison, at least around here

Don

rkarl:A lot of us are jealous of the QC'ing you did on your trip. Having that option really does change what this car can do. Yes, I wish it had another 20-30 miles range, and could Level II charge at 20 miles per hour instead of the 10 miles per hour it does now. But, that QC makes a longer trip at least possible. Presently, I am effectively limited to trips under 30 miles away. Frankly, more like 25 is best. I have to be able to return home and driving on the highway at 55-60MPH does eat into the range. If I want to be able to use the car the next morning, it's best if I am no more than 2/3 empty when I get home(I use 120V Level charging at home). There is a Nissan dealer within a mile of my home that offers free QC charging, and if I had the QC I'd be able to QC and be in fine shape for the next day... Oh well, the next EV I drive will have the QC.

Lou

Back