the infamous turtle

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkarl89203

Tonite we came back from dinner with 1 mile to spare...according to the rr meter. Finally the the rr went to
--- ....and the cute turtle light came on....went one whole extra mile with no mile left....the turtle on and there was no discernible drop in performance. Is there some kind of reserve built in?
Just curious......

Yes, there is some reserve, but it varies based on your battery's health. I managed 3 miles with the turtle when I first got the car, but I haven't had it that low since. The lowest I've been since is losing the last bar while pulling into the driveway. Both times were quite an experience, but the car functioned normally. There are others that have gone further than I have, but dipping this low in the charge isn't good for the battery.

Specifically, I believe the last 10% SoC is the turtle reserve.

I-MiEV turtle. We simply can´t trust in it. Well, maybe when the car is new we can expect to do 5 to 6 miles with it. Only when it's new, because some of the degradation will be hiding in it, and then it will not do so many miles. Each journey, each charge, your turtle will be different, that´s what I think, built with my own experience. I promise you a video soon, with me leaving home with turtle, going to the local supermarket, and arriving home, 4 or 5 miles, and cells still above 3,5V, what means I'm not deeply discharging my car. But that will be my best malmonastic magic, and I suppose no one more in this world knows and can do it like me.

The last 10% of SoC are turtle. But that 10% will be, soon, only 9 in the reality (but the car will always think that there are still 10%), and then 8, 7, 6,...

Malmonastic magic, many of you already know some of my tricks. In the reality, they are only possible because I have an I-MiEV with 15% degradation (maybe a little more).

Driving 6 miles with turtle and getting to 0,0% SoC. Don't try it, I advised you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkWW5w2e4XU

rkarl89203 said:
Is there some kind of reserve built in?
Just curious......
The turtle (lower) part of SOC is to avoid. Nothing wrong if you really need to go so low few times a year. I understand the turtle as a message from the car: "David, if possible, stop and recharge me a.s.a.p."

When new I made almost 20km with turtle. Now, after 40k km, turtle range droped to just above 10km of really eco style driving.

Back