Survey: PayPal deposit of $299 for the car, refund.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the dealership failed to follow the policy on the website: http://i.mitsubishicars.com/reserve

Same result as freqflyer. I requested the refund for my $299 deposit on 01/29/12. Waiting for response from Mitsubishi.

02/03/2012 - I called Mitsubishi customer support phone number and ask what the procedure is for getting the $299 deposit back. She said go to the website and click on request refund button, and wait up to 30 days for it.

02/02/2012 - The dealership said we have to ask for a refund on the website. Well the only to do that is to cancel the order for the car you already bought, and check the "other" reason box. I put something like this in the other reason box "Purchased the car but did not receive the deposit refund which was promised".

01/30/12 - I got a call from Mitsubishi headquarters in Anaheim CA. They were taking a survey about the Bestbuy/Mr.Electric experience. After telling them that I gave up on Mr.Electric, I ask them about the $299 deposit refund and surprisingly she said yes you have to ask for it on the website like the dealership said. She also said it could take up to 30 days to get it. Hmm, it does not take 30 days to refund a PayPal transaction.

My dealer said that I had to apply for it myself. I went online to request the refund. It said that it could tie 30 days and that I could lose the mr electric fee?

freqflyer said:
My dealer said that I had to apply for it myself. I went online to request the refund. It said that it could tie 30 days and that I could lose the mr electric fee?

Purchased miev last month here in Hawaii, $299 was included as part of final payment to dealership so my final price was reduced by $299. Might want to double check your invoices to see if it appears on there.

No! Asked dealer about it at time of purchase, and also told I'd need to apply for the refund on line. On-line I can't find a place to apply for it. Tried calling the customer number but only active during biz. hours and I haven't gotten around to it during the day yet.

I called Mitsubishi's corporate office a week ago and they finally got back to me after dealing with the dealership and told me to use the refund on the i website to get my deposit back. Will let you know when it posts to my PayPal account.

I got a call from Mitsubishi asking me some follow up questions about my purchase (as well as many questions about the Geek Squad / Mr. Electric experience.) At the end, I asked about the refund, and the representative said yes, I should apply for it on the site.

Back at the site, there is a way to apply for a refund... but none of the reasons are "I bought one." I put that detail in the comments. I've got confirmation that they received my request. Will post when I see the $, too.

I went to the local Mitsu dealer and bought an iMiEV off the lot yesterday. When I asked about the deposit refund to be part of the purchase paperwork, they said that since I was not purchasing the car that I had ordered online that I would have to go back online and cancel the order to get the refund. We'll see…

As some of you may remember, I had placed the $299 refundable reservation for an iMiEV online in early December. This included the free $99.99 mandatory GeekSquad inspection since I was one of the first 2000 purchasers. I went through the time-wasting GeekSquad and MrElectric hassle without ever receiving a quote for an EVSE installation.

On February 7, with my online car status still showing that it was "being built", I went to the local Mitsubishi dealer (the one I had been dealing with), explained my situation, and ended up purchasing an iMiEV that they had in stock. Strangely, that night my online status changed from "Being Built" to "Arrived in Port" with no intermediate transit statusing.

During the purchase final paperwork preparation, I was told that since I had ordered online that my deposit would be refunded by corporate and would not be part of the purchase accounting. The dealership was to notify Mitsubishi corporate that I had purchased an iMiEV and was to cancel the online reservation.

Today (February 24) PayPal just notified me that I have received a refund of $199.01 from Mitsubishi.

I'm speechless. :eek: Anyone have any suggestions while I cool off?

Better pour a cold one for me also, I just checked my paypal. :oops: I thought we go to the Paypal Resolution Center and request the full refund (wrong - see below).

Original Transaction
Date Type Status Details Amount
Aug 1, 2011 Payment To Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. Partially RefundedThe seller refunded part of the payment.The seller refunded part of the payment. ... -$299.00 USD

Related Transactions
Date Type Status Details Amount
Aug 1, 2011 Add Funds from a Bank Account CompletedYour transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete.Your transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete. Details $299.00 USD
Feb 13, 2012 Refund Completed Details $199.01 USD
Total: -$99.99 USD

I just submitted this to the Paypal Resolution Center:

I purchased the car on January 19Th, 2012, You refunded me only $199.01 out of the $299 deposit. You still owe me a remaining refund of $99.99.
Your advertised terms state the following:
For the first 2,000 customers who pre-order, we'll pick up the cost of the electrical inspection by Best Buy's nationally-respected Geek Squad...$99.99
http://i.mitsubishicars.com/reserve

Paypal is a Joke:

We Have Registered Your Dispute
Thank you for registering your complaint about this transaction. Unfortunately, this type of transaction is not eligible for PayPal dispute resolution. We encourage you to continue to work directly with your seller, as we have found that many misunderstandings reach amicable solutions through communication.

I received my deposit back on Friday 24th at 1:30pm. $299. I opted out of the Best Buy runaround.

jjlink, JoeS, did you guys leave a message in the space when you applied for your refund to be returned explaining why you were cancelling?

Yes, I put something like this in the other reason box "Purchased the car but did not receive the deposit refund which was promised".

02/02/2012 - The dealership said we have to ask for a refund on the website. Well the only to do that is to cancel the order for the car you already bought, and check the "other" reason box. I put something like this in the other reason box "Purchased the car but did not receive the deposit refund which was promised".

02/27/2012:
Mitsubishi Motors called and left a voice mail this morning:
We are looking into this concern for you, but usually does take around 3 to 5 business days for us to research it.

I called Mitsubishi head office and got a case reference # back in January, we went through a week or so of talking to figure this out. I left a message in the box with the Mitsu. reps phone number and case # and reason for cancellation. The website says it can take up to 30 days to process the refund, mines took 29 days.

I sent an email to Mitsubishi yesterday explaining the situation. Today they called me seeking further details, assigned me a reference number, and promised to get back within 4-5 days. Very professional about it. I'm hopeful.

Back