JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: Driving in Snow

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Anyone have a number/percentage for additional consumption resulting from switching in DEFROST (bottom knob turned fully clockwise which kicks in A/C)? If I recall, that added another 5% on top of the heater's 20%

Sorta back on topic, can anyone contrast the range hit due to driving on snow vs. driving in the rain?
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

justoneman

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm a new owner, so I have not driven the car in snow yet, but the nature of the car reminds me of my old 72 VW Beatle. it was great in the snow with its skinny tires and engine over the rear drive wheels. Seems to me the I-miev will have some similar qualities being rear wheel drive and all.

Aerowhatt
Gold Member

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:12 am

I drove an old VW on snow quite a bit too. The iMiev is even better on snow and ice IMO. The traction control give you a quasi positraction for the drive wheels. So no more spinning one rear wheel while the other has a better grip.

My wife complained about the system when she drove to work on glair ice once this past winter. She said she had almost no acceleration a couple of times no matter what she did with the accelerator pedal. I told her it was keeping her from spinning out. Basically the car gave her as much acceleration as the tires had grip for :) I asked her how the other cars were doing - - "well there were a number of them that couldn't seem to get going at all and several had slid off the road and were stuck". I didn't add anything but, sounds like she was in good hands. She made it to work with nary a slip or slide!

Aerowhatt
(July) 2014 cool silver ES, acquired new 4/2015 (40.9ah at ~34K miles)
(Aug) 2014 Labrador Black Pearl ES, acquired new 3/2016 (39.7ah at ~20k miles)

Aerowhatt
Gold Member

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:32 am

JoeS wrote:Sorta back on topic, can anyone contrast the range hit due to driving on snow vs. driving in the rain?

That would be a hard one to quantify! I think that if you are driving correctly for snow and ice conditions (really, really slowly). Then definitely driving in rain would yield less range. One exception perhaps would be deep new snow with no tire tracks to follow. Due to the slow nature of snow driving and not yet being the first one to blaze the trail. I definitely have had higher RR after a full recharge following driving in snow than driving in rain (both cold and running heat). Far from definitive but but something I did take note of.

Aerowhatt
(July) 2014 cool silver ES, acquired new 4/2015 (40.9ah at ~34K miles)
(Aug) 2014 Labrador Black Pearl ES, acquired new 3/2016 (39.7ah at ~20k miles)

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:33 am

Even a damp road takes a hit (one would think that the slight drop in traction would help. I guess the tires suction to the road with a layer of water).

The only trouble I have with winter weather (at least regarding traction and road-going) remains my uphill, concrete driveway. Driving on snow and snow-covered ice just doesn't have much effect on the i-MiEV. You'll get the occasional reminder from the ASC that the roads are crap, but even if there's just a thread of grip, the i-MiEV behaves like you're on dry road, at least when driven sensibly. I heard the Tesla Roadster is the same way.

Black ice, on the other hand, there's not much you can do about that. I've been sideways on that without the car noticing :? .
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”