Use of public chargers by PHEVs vs. BEVs

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vike

I'll apologize if this overlaps an existing topic, but the forum wouldn't let me search for "public charging". This is an issue that seems to be of increasing importance, though, and I thought it worth a fresh discussion.

I got into an exchange over at plugincars.com last week surrounding an article they'd posted on the evolving etiquette of the public charging infrastructure. My comments were mainly about whether it's really true that PHEVs like the Volt have just as much right to use public charging stations as BEVs like the LEAF or i-MiEV. I did ramble on, but I think there are at least a few points in all that worth pondering, so here's that (I'm vike1108 there):

http://www.plugincars.com/eight-rules-electric-vehicle-etiquette-127513.html

My primary counterpart in this conversation uses the handle Joule Thief (I think he finally gave up on me), though there are a few interesting points made by other Volt owners.

My main point is that asserting "rights" is less productive than considering "shoulds". A PHEV driver focused on his "right" to use a public charger, and complaining about being unplugged by a BEV driver who "just shows up expecting a charge," is failing to consider that he's implicitly saying BEV drivers "should" limit their travels to their battery range, emergencies excepted, while PHEV drivers "should" be free to drive and charge wherever and whenever they like. If you claim to be interested in increasing electrification of the U.S. personal vehicle fleet, you should find that pretty toxic reasoning.

A couple of years back, before any of this was discussed, and at a time when I was myself considering leasing a Volt, it would have struck me as completely uncontroversial to assert that public chargers exist primarily to extend the effective range and utility of BEVs, and only secondarily to allow PHEVs to operate in EV mode as much as possible. I wasn't sure how to manage that really, but certainly the idea that PHEVs should only be using public chargers, even paid ones, when there are no BEVs waiting for them was just basic polite common sense. Surely, I would have thought, a PHEV can and should be unplugged if a BEV needs to charge; if that's physically not feasible, then the PHEV probably shouldn't be charging there at all. And seriously, this was how I would have expected things to go if I was driving a Volt.

Well, in our brave new world of actual EV sales and actual charging networks (and not just in California!), ideas that I once thought uncontroversial are now not only questioned but ridiculed and dismissed. At first, I thought that the real problem was free or complimentary charging (as opposed to paid by the hour or via subscription/membership), and the unfortunate incentives that created for abuse by PHEVs and BEVs alike (if I have an opportunity to drive for free, why not take it?). I figured that once chargers had to be paid for, nearly any system worth running would push up the cost of charging to near or over the cost of gassing up, making public chargers unattractive for PHEVs. Hey, problem solved - a scarce resource rationally allocated by the magic of the market.

But as you follow my exchange with Joule Thief (at above link), a whole new problem comes up - green-minded folks who see the Volt as an opportunity to drive electric without range anxiety or the need to rent a car for road trips, and want to drive electric as much as possible. Because of their more limited EV range, public chargers are in that sense even more "necessary" for them than BEVs. As EV enthusiasts, we are certainly sympathetic to this perspective. But if it were to be a common one among Volt buyers, so much of the public charging infrastructure may be so often occupied/unavailable that it will cease to be a reliable resource for charging BEVs, so greatly reducing the market for them.

Now bringing this discussion to an all-BEV (or BEV interested) forum, what are thoughts here? Is it wrong for BEVs to view the public charging infrastructure primarily as a resource for extending the effective range of our cars? If so, are we bound to limit our travels to internal battery range and current SOC, removing "opportunity charging" from consideration? And if you don't think so, what do you see happening if thousands of PHEVs, which we expect to be more numerous for some time to come, are allowed to tie up access to public chargers?

My own position is that in an ideal world, BEVs would have priority in accessing chargers, but idle chargers should be available for use by PHEVs. We really do want PHEVs running as EVs as much as possible, but not at the expense of discouraging the sale and use of BEVs. I do realize there are some practical problems in making that work - mainly, how does a BEV "bump" a PHEV that's already charging? But if PHEV owners like Joule Thief insist that they have a "first come, first serve" RIGHT to use public charging, if they don't choose to defer to BEV drivers who need to charge to finish their errands, just get home, or perhaps something even more urgent, I'm afraid we're just waiting for the wrong set of circumstances to lead to tragedy. At least one Volter in that plugincars.com forum thought a punch in the mouth was appropriate for anyone that unplugged his car :eek: , and in a heavily armed society that attitude could prove lethal.

fjpod said:
This is why I only believe in home charging....and at night.
I would agree that the best time and place for charging is overnight at home; I imagine it's what most of us do, and I think it's the approach best aligned with currently available technology (e.g., battery capacity and charging times). There are very few public chargers around me, so life is just less stressful if I limit my excursions to round trips within my battery range. In most of the country there are very few public chargers, and I don't think public charging scales well because of the charging times. Level 3 charging is another matter, but has its own challenges.

All that said, public chargers are being deployed, albeit very slowly in most areas, and if there are enough of them, it could change the way BEVs are used over time. I think the assumption behind conversations about "building out charging infrastructure" is that BEVs will be a viable option for more buyers if that infrastructure is dense enough to relieve concerns about getting stranded without a charge. But given what we see happening with reports of folks getting "Volted" or "Priused" (and soon enough C-Maxed I'm sure) out of slots they were counting on for their itinerary, I'm afraid this whole idea might be strangled in the crib, just another Tragedy of the Commons.

If it was necessary for us to charge anywhere other than at home, I really doubt we would have even considered buying this car - Not being able to charge when and where you need to would severely limit it's usefulness

This claimed 'ownership' and fight over the use of public charging stations seems very predictable to me and there will never be more stations than there are cars which need to use them. Until the costs of recharging becomes significantly higher than the cost of gassing up, I think you're going to see more and more of this . . . . and I'm certainly glad it's not a war we personally need to fight - Not thet there is any public charge point within 100 miles of here to fight over :lol:

Don

All I can say is, I'm glad I'm not in this situation. The way I see it, it's need vs. want.

Need:
*A BEV should be using a charging station when it's necessary to complete a trip (or leg of a trip) if a charging station is in demand, even if it means bumping a PHEV. A courtesy notification and explanation would be best.
"Can I unplug your car? I need an hour charge to make it to my destination."
*A PHEV should be using a charging station when charge is low and no BEV's are present, leaving space (or option of contact) for any BEV that shows up in need of a charge.
*Fair game for both for unused chargers where many chargers are located with low demand.
*If a plug-in is charging and another plug-in of the same type shows up in need of a charge, the two owners decide who gets a charge based on highest need.

Want:
Wanting a charge, not needing a charge, first come, first serve.

A method of contact should be mandatory for all plug-ins.

Sorry, but there's no way I can think of to peacefully sort things out without giving BEV's some form of priority. Would someone with a full tank intentionally block the only gas pump, preventing someone with an empty tank from buying gas?

> "A method of contact should be mandatory for all plug-ins."
Fortunately such a thing exists, if not in a mandatory form.
http://mobilesquared.com/chargesticker/

However I'm afraid the people who would use this are the same
ones who are unlikely to be involved in the argument in the first place... ;-)

Who said it had to be on the car side? Integrate that system into all EVSE's, requiring the driver to enter their cell phone number before charging can start. The station will then display a hotline to call or text to keep the phone number anonymous. The cell number gets deleted when the car is unplugged, after an acknowledgement call.

Plug-in -> enter number -> charging -> unplug -> acknowledgement call -> number is deleted -> next user.

The GE Durastation charge point here in Brisbane has a large led status light on top that shows when it is Ready, Charging or Finished. Mind you it is operated by the car park attendant which reduces potential oversubscription issues (especially in a state that has only 48 registered EV's).

Pretty sure no-one would mind if their car was unplugged once the Finished state was reached, especially if you took the time to pop a note on their windscreen though.

I've not had to give this a lot of though in my 6 weeks as an iMiev owner but I'm not sure I agree with the idea that BEVs trump PHEVs.

My thinking so far is this:

* I considered a Volt as an option with the express intention to drive it as a 'BEV' and only use the ICE as an alternative to hiring a second vehicle. Many other Volt owners may have the same approach, unplugging them denies them this option.

* You don't know how much fuel is in another persons tank. It may not be an option for them to pop 'round the corner for more fuel and you could be stranding them just as much as you are.

* While I agree that the BEV "need" is greater there is the common courtesy of not interfering with other peoples belongings. In the case of public infrastructure there is the caveat that if the charge shows as complete, then yes, you should be able to begin your charge. But if not, the other vehicle should be left alone.

* Personally, if I were trumped in access to a charger I would just suck it up and wait my turn, but then I'm English and we have this known habit of queing...

Overall I like the idea of a common courtesy approach and the use of "contact if needed" stickers, but I think they are enhancements - first come, first serve and reservation will be the norm in future.

Fast chargers are the answer as a 30 minute wait is not that high an impost in the grand scheme of a day when you consider a long queue at the petrol station can see you in there for 10 minutes or more.

Perhaps all public chargers should have signage stating that other users have the right to unplug your car when the "Charge Complete" light is lit?

> "Perhaps all public chargers should have signage stating that other users have the right to unplug your car when the "Charge Complete" light is lit?"
That would be *great*, at least until government gets involved:

In California AB 475 came into effect last year which requires Electric Vehicles and PHEV to be plugged in for refueling when occupying an EV-designated parking space, otherwise they may be towed. In addition, the law prohibits a person from obstructing, blocking, or otherwise barring access to an EV-designated parking space.

Kinda makes plug sharing a bit more difficult.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/new-california-law-on-use-of-ev-charging-stations.101796/#ixzz2aaxn1NvT

Like most things, the charging stations are often empty for several hours per day, then fill up at busy times. An example of this happened to me in May, when I took my LEAF from Fresno, CA to the East Bay Area. I arrived at the Gilroy Outlet Mall to charge at about 3:30pm. There are two ChargePoint L2 EVSE's there, as well as four Tesla Superchargers. When I pulled up at 3:30, all the spots were available. When I left, a little after 6:00pm (on a Friday), all the spots were taken. The place was packed with two LEAFs (mine included), with one more waiting for me to leave, and four Tesla's, with two more waiting for a Supercharger to open up. From what I understand, this is a normal Friday pattern at the Outlet.

I spoke with one of the Tesla drivers. He explained that at this Supercharger, his Tesla Model S normally takes 45 minutes to charge completely. But each Tesla (transformer?) can be shared by two cars. There are two transformers at the Outlet, each sharing power with two cars. So when it's busy, his 45 minute charge becomes a 90 minute wait. Granted, that's for a 265 mile ride, but that's also for (in his case) a $90,000+ car.

In my case, I know how long I'll need at the EVSE and I'll be sure to return before the charge is complete. I also put a note in my windshield giving my cell number. I write on the note that I'm not far away and to please call me if they need me for anything.

If I know the traffic patterns of a EVSE setup, I'll be inclined to time my arrival so that I won't encounter a busy EVSE. And, I would like them to have some nominal fee in order to keep a few EVSE-sitters away.

That said, I don't care who uses it (PHEV or BEV) as long as they are actually using it (not just sitting).

WyVern said:
...I'm not sure I agree with the idea that BEVs trump PHEVs....

* I considered a Volt as an option with the express intention to drive it as a 'BEV' and only use the ICE as an alternative to hiring a second vehicle. Many other Volt owners may have the same approach, unplugging them denies them this option.

* You don't know how much fuel is in another persons tank. It may not be an option for them to pop 'round the corner for more fuel and you could be stranding them just as much as you are.
Your first point falls into a category I describe as "pretending to be a BEV." If the Volt really were a BEV, it would have a lot more than 35 miles range and wouldn't be spending so much time at charge points away from home; the fact is its owners chose to buy a more flexible vehicle capable of occasional long-range travel fueled by gasoline. The tradeoff is less battery range ALL the time, and sometimes that's going to mean burning some gas instead of running as much in EV mode as they would like. If having to yield to a BEV that's going to be stranded without a top-off "denies them this option", that's a pretty small injury compared to being kept from going home. I realize that a charger could just as easily be blocked by another BEV, and then the drivers would have to work something out (the whole first come first serve, need/want, who's going where, etc.), but Mr. Volt you are NOT a BEV, so stop PRETENDING that you are. This is a real situation with real consequences, not a game of "what if I didn't have a range extender?" - you DO. These days PHEVs are far more common, which is relevant in the sense that they're more likely to be using a charger at any given time. So stop arguing hypotheticals, fire up that range extender, move on, and let the poor man in the LEAF get home for dinner. The extra gas you'll have to buy and burn to cover these situations isn't going to amount to anything, so how about a little decency on the cheap, eh?

The second point (what if the Volt's out of gas?) doesn't pass the laugh test. If your Volt is low on everything and you drive past gas stations (which in the U.S. you most certainly would) to hook up to a charger, you're just being perverse.

I am a Pirate (one of the founders of the party) and I am very much aware of my data footprint. That is why I dont like cars who want to mate with my cellular in the first place. Karin and me have got rid of our cellulars because we dont want to pay the bill of somebody else watching and listening on us. As a radio amateur I can see when somebody else is using my phone. If more than 50% of the phones battery capacity is spent by somebody else then somebody else should pay the bills for charging and using the radio network.

Although we dont have a hello lot of electric cars in Germany we do have a hello lot of people who want to know where I did charge, how much I did and how far I got. Their card is expensive enough to pay the electricity bill of our car for the rest of its life. I am glad they actually only have cards but no powers sockets and I dont have an expensive Frankenplug in the first place.

Some places I can charge for free, other places I put in coins like a caravan does. At places where caravans have to pay for both parking and electricity I can always charge. At places where we have to pay for electricity I can charge most of the time.

At places where I can charge for free I need to be lucky to find a space not occupied by a gas guzzler but when I am lucky I might even meet another electric car.

Right now we dont make a difference between Tesla, i-MiEV, Volt or BMW with or without. Too few of them, too few to build charging spots for them in the first place. As soon as there are enough electric cars to count, public charging will break down and it cannot scale in the first place. Only Quick charging can.

Teslas already have their own places where they can charge. Volts and BMWs with range extender will go to the gas station again and i-MiEVs and BMWs without will ask for Quick Chargers.

In the meantime let us take care not to step on eachothers feet and give a free show for all those people who already new that electricity is not the future.

Maybe we can find a Ford Nuclear on a boneyard or a used RTG that would be a sight - a fake one of coarse. I would not touch a real one nor carry it in my trunc.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

Another point to consider...

In the near future we will have ever greater numbers of BEVs, PHEVs etc to accommodate. As sales of differing types and models (such as the i3) are made available how will you know if the car you are unplugging is not a BEV version?

Also, as owners of what is likely to be a minority vehicle in future, how will we feel if future BEV owners unplug our cars saying "I've never seen one before, I assumed it was a hybrid".

We can likely each identify the various makes and models of EV, is that likely to be true for the great unwashed into the future?

Perhaps the onus is on the facility provider to restrict access to nonBEVs at peak usage times?

In my very short time as a BEV owner, I have had conflicting opinions on this topic. On one hand, it is very easy and simple to state that BEVs should have "dibs" on public chargers over PHEVs that don't necessarily REQUIRE them to get to their final destination. On the other hand, I want to be as accommodating as possible to encourage more people to convert over to greener forms of transportation.

From my own personal experience, I have grown to loathe Volts, mainly due to one recurring issue. In my city (Elgin, IL) there is only one public charging station. It is owned/operated by the city but is sponsored by a local business. There is no charge to use this public charging station. It is located on the ground floor of a public parking garage in the downtown area of Elgin, where it is surrounded by municipal buildings (Police Station, Town Hall, city recreation center, cultural center, etc.). Unfortunately, every time (except one) that I have ever attempted to use this charger, the same Chevy Volt is ALWAYS plugged in there. My assumption is that the owner must work in downtown Elgin very near the parking garage. Otherwise, it would be highly unlikely that the Volt would be plugged in there all the time. The owner never leaves a courtesy card with contact information in case another EV needs to charge. If there were other public charging stations in my city, this wouldn't bother me as much. I would just go use a different one. But it is the ONLY public charger in town. The next nearest publicly-available charging station is 13 miles away. Within a 15 mile radius of this sole Elgin station, there are only 5 other publicly-available stations, and they all require highway and/or expressway driving in order to get there within 15 miles!

My opinions on public charging stations are:

1). First and foremost, we need more of them! Until the public charging network is large and ubiquitous enough that EV owners never have to worry about getting a charge, we will continue to have these problems.

2). Public charging stations should be available for use by anyone with a plug-in EV. No need to distinguish between BEV or PHEV provided that all my points are enacted or followed.

3). All public charging stations should be networked so that EV owners can use any app to see which are in use and which are available. That way, we have no excuse to rely on blind luck that there will be an available charging station at our destination. We would be able to easily plan our driving activities to accommodate our charging needs.

4). FREE charging stations should impose a strict time limit after which the charging automatically stops. If additional charging is needed, the EV driver will be required to physically return to their vehicle to unplug and restart the charging process. At this time, the EV driver can evaluate the situation and see if others are waiting to charge. If so, vacate the spot and return at a later time when the charging station is available again. Free charging stations are there as an incentive/benefit for your choosing to go electric. Don't abuse it. It is not intended for you to receive a full charge on the public dime and constantly drive for free. Along with this, free charging stations should be designed with either ample room surrounding the station to accommodate a second EV next to the main parking spot or have a charging cable long enough to reach another EV that has to pull up or park behind the occupying EV. This will allow another driver to unplug an occupying EV that has surpassed the time limit or is finished charging in order to charge their vehicle. In these, I hope, rare emergency situations, any driver who unplugs another EV should remain with their vehicle until either they receive an adequate charge to make it to another charging station (or their final destination) or the owner of the other EV returns.

5). All charging stations should have an indicator that shows how long the currently-charging EV has been plugged in. This will allow others who need a charge to determine how long they will have to wait until the time limit is reached or guesstimate how long before the EV owner returns. If I know it will only be another 15 minutes before time is up, I will hang around and wait. If it is obvious the car JUST plugged in, I will go elsewhere for a charge.

6). All EV owners should be in the habit of leaving contact information just in case there is a charging emergency. Not only should you leave your immediate contact info, but it would be common courtesy to also indicate the time you plugged in and how long you intend to remain plugged in. If YOU are the one with a charging emergency, call the contact information to ask if it is alright to temporarily unplug the current occupant. Plug your EV in ONLY for as long as is necessary to get enough charge to reach another available charging station. Remain with your vehicle for the duration of the charging period in case the other EV driver returns and wants to leave. Always plug the original EV back in after you have completed your emergency charge.

7). If you plug in to an L3 DCQC, you should remain with your vehicle for the duration of the charging period; or at least within line-of-sight and a VERY short walk back to your vehicle. Once your vehicle is done charging, immediately move it to free up the spot for other EVs regardless of whether there is another EV currently waiting for the QCDC. ICE drivers cannot pull into a gas station, place the fuel pump in their tank, and then wander off for an hour or more. The station owner would likely have their vehicle towed. Why should it be any different for EVs at QC stations?

With all that being said, I still try to keep my driving within a roundtrip range of my home EVSE. I make special considerations and use proper planning to ensure I will be able to easily get to my final destination and back. I research and map charging stations along my route and at my destination. I would never just blindly hit the road without knowing how far I can go and whether charging opportunities exist during my trip if needed.

C'mon folks - get real.

I don't know what all the hullabaloo is about. The use of "courteous" guidelines won't work in this country. Many folks, once they plug in, don't come back until they are good and ready.

Charges have to be like parking meters - overstay your allotted time and you will get a ticket or be towed. Cities would be happy to enforce this, as it generates revenue. In fact, they would be more likely to subsidize charging stations - being able to make money on the charging fees, then ticket people who overstay their welcome. Now that's the real world ! :eek:

psyflyjohn said:
The use of "courteous" guidelines won't work in this country.
Unfortunately, you are correct. And that is one of the biggest problems for EVs in this country. The general American attitude is what is preventing the EV market from really taking off and flourishing. Not just EVs, but ANY smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles. In the rest of the world, smaller vehicles are the norm. For whatever reason, we Americans spit on small cars and insist on driving 4000+ lb SUVs for our daily <30 mile round-trip work commute with only the driver, and occasionally a passenger, occupying the vehicle.

Why?

"Because we can! And God says it's our constitutional right!"

'MURICA!!!!

(sometimes I really loathe "We the people")

The ultimate solution will be 'smart' charge points . . . . and smarter cars

We used to have parking meters in many cities. You got an hour or two of use of the space for a certain number of coins put in the meter and if you overstayed your welcome past the amount of time you paid for, the meter maid gave you a ticket. We need something similar here, but in the digital electronics age, we can do it without coins and meter maids

The charge point would have to be Internet connected . . . . like most of our television sets are these days. When someone plugs in any car, the charge point receives a digital 'signature' (VIN Number, license plate number or some other unique account number) from the car and it checks that car's account to see if it's eligible to be recharged on their network. The network bills the car owner's credit card once per month via a prearranged usage agreement. Charge sessions are limited to a certain number of hours, just like parking meters used to be. You plug in and select 1 or 2 or 3 hours and the charge point shuts off at the agreed to time and it lights a light on the box showing charging has terminated - Maybe it even sends a text or e-mail to your cel phone? . . . . maybe it even sends you an advance warning 15 or 20 minutes before the session ends? If the car isn't disconnected and moved within 5 or 10 minutes of the session ending, the owner is billed a fine (maybe $25?) on his credit card account. More than one fine per month and the company terminates his right to use their charge points . . . . the car won't charge when he tries to use any public charge point

It's coming . . . . and the sooner it gets here, the better if we really want to grow either BEV or PHEV usage. The 'honor system' will never work for something like this

Don

Vike said:
So stop arguing hypotheticals, fire up that range extender, move on, and let the poor man in the LEAF get home for dinner. The extra gas you'll have to buy and burn to cover these situations isn't going to amount to anything, so how about a little decency on the cheap, eh?

The second point (what if the Volt's out of gas?) doesn't pass the laugh test. If your Volt is low on everything and you drive past gas stations (which in the U.S. you most certainly would) to hook up to a charger, you're just being perverse.
Especially since the Volt forces you through at least a tank of gas a year, you'll put off a maintenance run and actually get something for the money going out the pipe.

I've driven 30 miles on E in a Cavalier (actually the day I went to the Mitsubishi dealer for a test drive) and managed to get to a gas station without any issues. Even if the Volt runs out (to the point of the engine dying), I'm sure it still has enough of a charge to keep going for another mile or two.

BEV to BEV, I'd happily give up a charging station to someone with a completely dead battery if I had enough charge, or time. If I travel far enough to need a charging station, I have my Level 1 EVSE with me, so I can fall back to 110 VAC and continue charging (every charging station I've used has a 110 plug either on the side of it or below it). All plug-ins should carry their EVSE with them if they have a distant chance of needing a charging station.

The other day, I was at a charging station, and I knew I would be there long enough for Level 1 to suffice, so I used it and left the Level 2 open for the two Volts that showed up. The one had about half, the other was about out of charge, so the lower charged Volt got the station first (even though he showed up second). After he left, the other Volt plugged in. After the second Volt left, and a third Volt showed up and used level 2, all the while my i was sipping level 1 off the side of the station.

I think it all comes down to severity of the need. I didn't need the full level 2, so I left it open. You could argue that Volts didn't need the charge, either, but they had a lower SOC than I did, so giving them level 2 wasn't stranding me, and it saved gas. Giving up a charge for someone else is a 2-way street. Why can't some Volt owners be a little sympathetic when a LEAF unplugs them to make it home? Either the Volt owner eats a few cents or dolllars for gas, or the LEAF eats the cost of a tow truck. I gave up level 2 for 3 other Volts without any hassle.

Don, doesn't the ChargePoint network already do this?

Robb, I had a Mustang fly around me the other day on my way to work. I soon (really soon) caught up to him at a redlight. He mashed on it when the light turned green, and wouldn't you know that my "tiny, cramped, slow EV" stayed right on his bumper? I even had to keep letting up each time his car shifted. I can almost outrun my Dad's Camaro, and that's with the least powerful production EV in the US.

PV1 said:
Robb, I had a Mustang fly around me the other day on my way to work. I soon (really soon) caught up to him at a redlight. He mashed on it when the light turned green, and wouldn't you know that my "tiny, cramped, slow EV" stayed right on his bumper? I even had to keep letting up each time his car shifted. I can almost outrun my Dad's Camaro, and that's with the least powerful production EV in the US.
I learned the hard way that I need to be more selective to whom I demonstrate the i's unexpected prowess. I was driving home from work one day last week when I came up to my favorite intersection for showing off the i. It's one of those intersections where a single lane opens up to two lanes as you approach the stoplight and then merges back down to one lane shortly after the stoplight. (I really don't understand the point in these types of intersections. All they do is breed animosity!) It's only a rare occasion that I actually get the opportunity to show off. So many different circumstances have to align perfectly (e.g. The stoplight actually has to turn red and stay red as I approach it, I have to be first in line in one of the lanes, and the driver next to me has to be someone who exudes the attitude of "I'm gonna show this puny EV who's BOSS!"). If all those conditions do not exist, I will just keep my i in ECO mode and casually make my way through the intersection being courteous and allowing others to merge ahead of me.

On this particular day, I was not the first in line as I stopped for the red light. I was a couple cars back. Right next to me in the lane that ends at the merge was a big honkin' pickup with a pair of those steel testes swinging from his trailer hitch. You know, one of those accessories that instantly proclaims, "I'm a jag!" Anyway, since all my conditions were not met this time at the intersection, when the light turned green, I just casually accelerated and motored along my way. The pickup next to me stayed right next to me neither accelerating to get ahead of me or slowing to get behind me. As we got closer to the merge up ahead, I decided to bump the go stick into D for an extra spurt of energy to calmly move ahead and avoid the usual awkward confrontation at the actual merge.

Apparently, Mr. Swingin' Testes didn't take too kindly to this. Right when the lanes were starting to merge, I heard his pickup roar to life and he came charging up next to me just as his lane ended. He forced his way in, and I was shoved on to the shoulder and had to slam on my brakes to avoid flying off the road completely. I could see him smiling and looking back at me in his rear view mirror. The two cars behind me had to stop suddenly, too, in order to avoid an incident. I saw them shaking their heads in disbelief at this jerk's actions.

So, to prevent any more confrontations, I specifically avoid opening the i up next to any driver who overtly displays an alarming over-abundance of testosterone!

Anytime I've planned to make a trip beyond the range of the iMiev, I wished there was a way I could reserve time at an EVSE. If I could do that if any other car tried to take the spot they'd be denied charging (though I suppose it doesn't prevent someone parking in the space or not moving their car after it has finished charging). I would rest easy that I could get the charge I need. If I couldn't make my reserved time, then I would have to reschedule or take my chances.

I've tired to make a reservation with ChargePoint charges in Pennsylvania, and they have all had that feature disabled. So, I press my luck, figuring I could wait or find a 120v donor plug in a bind (so far - only a couple times now, I've basically been lucky, and once had to go with a backup). With all the electricity around us, it won't take too much to have more public charging at places we routinely park. For those without home charging (maybe people who park on the street or at apartment complexes, etc.) we will need some reliable public charging that is as convenient and economical as filling up a tank of gas (which also means if gas becomes much more expensive, the EV becomes relatively more economical). Until we get that level of infrastructure, BEVs will struggle with at most 5% of vehicles on the road, (PHEVs might do a little better, but not a lot) whereas with an equal or better infrastructure, this could be more like 70-80% of vehicles. That's how important I think charging infrastructure is.

Vike - I think you have now written a small book on the subject, I'm impressed. I'd like to hear your future dissertations on subjects like corporate control of government, American consumer excess, and the energy politics of climate change ;).

Back