How do you track your charging?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benswing

I have been measuring the electricity every time I charge my electric vehicles and use the CurrentCost EnviR system with an Enerati Web Bridge. That way I can view my charging online wherever I am.

There are definitely other people who do the same thing, what do you use? Kill-A-Watt? TED, The Energy Detective? CurrentCost?

Also how happy are you with that system. I really like the CurrentCost system because I can access it anywhere, I can run reports on different periods of time and can view the usage for the last 2 days. There are some upgrades I'd like to see, but overall it is great!

I use the Kill a Watt EZ model. My regular Kill a Watt would not give the EVSE a decent ground connection, so I couldn't use it. However, the EZ model has a much tighter plug on it, so it stays mated to the EVSE, even when unplugging.

I take the usage data and log it into an Excel spreadsheet, along with starting and finishing RR and bars, distance traveled, Whether I used pre-conditioning or HVAC, and if I got a full charge (indicated by the Charge light being off on the EVSE).

This will give me data on how efficiently I drove on each charge, efficiency overall, and how much it costs to drive. I also have the spreadsheet calculate CO2 savings. While this works good for overnight charging, I don't know how I will treat public charging yet, because the charging stations available in my area do not read out kWh usage data.

So far, I'm getting about 3.5 mi./kWh overall. My last journey was 40 miles, and I used 8 bars to travel it. After I recharge, I should be close, if not beating, my record of 81 miles RR.

I don't track my charging anywhere near as well as others. I have a regular Kill-A-Watt meter which seems to work fine. (I don't have the ground issues PV1 does.) Most of my driving is to and from work -- an 18 mile round trip -- so I don't watch the meter too much. Should be the same. For longer or unusual trips, I'll reset the meter and see how little the trip cost in electricity. :D

I don't track my electric usage at all...well I did for the first week. It is what it is. Stay light on the accelerator, coast as much as possible, don't accelerate going into hills.

I keep detailed records of my charging and other data. If you are interested in the data, send me a PM with your email address and name. Will send you the data, which is in a series of word documents. Bill.

I got a power meter for some 12 Euros. Shows amperes, volts, kilowatts and kilowatt hours and time. It automatically resets when unplugged.

I am using kilometers since charging and the fuel gauge for driving and guessing and the fuel gauge shows the kilowatts I need so I know how long to charge. As soon as I see the amperes or kilowatts go down I unplug. No need for tappering down - it is overcharging.

I am afraid of fires and even more of my neighbors falling over the cable. So it is good to unplug as soon as possible.

I became too lazy to note every charge and every kilometer but I still keep an eye.

peterdambier said:
As soon as I see the amperes or kilowatts go down I unplug. No need for tappering down - it is overcharging.

No, is not overcharging, is equalizing. When do you equilibrate your cells?

Barbagris said:
When do you equilibrate your cells?

About once per year discharging below 2 bars and then charging until full. I still believe in Bottom Balancing.

http://www.evtv.me/

The today show (Friday April 5, 2013) is about batteries and putting them on fire.

I guess it is more than once per year that it happens to me.

I'm getting my L2 charger today, so I'll be able to do the "recharge fully from 2 bars" thing. I tried that last time with the L1 charger, and wasn't finished charging by the time to go to work. :eek:

Back