Do you feel ICE drivers bully the iMiev ?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llecentaur

My wife mentioned the other day that and I did not agree with her until in the last few days, I noticed it indeed. ICE drivers absolutely want to overtake you even way above the speed limit, even if they have to rev up their engine well beyond average.

Example, near our home we have a stretch of absolutely strait & flat road for about one mile (rare in Switzerland :) ), packed with kids (really big adult size now even if in their teens), I turned right into that road and immediately after us a BMW 3 coming from opposite side also took that road. We were in a hurry and did not mind range issues, I floored it only to realise a few seconds later that the BMW was screaming his engine to overtake and he ended up going maybe 130km/h instead of 80 to overtake !

Same day, same road, on the way back, small Toyota, czero at 89 or so, the driver nearly killed her engine to overtake !

Is it me wearing my hat that while driving that creates these reactions :) or have you also noticed it ?

You can find such agressive people everywhere... When they overtake you they feel better for moment or two. In you EV you feel better constantly. They show the power of their cars, you in your EV show the power inside your head! Which is nicely and elegantly covered with your hat :)

I have driven small cars for most of my driving life. Small cars do get bullied because people are azzholes when they get behind the wheel. My theory is that drivers feel they are their car. Passing becomes a personal afrontery to their ego. When our little dynamos outperform their darlings they seem to go into full azzhole mode. I tend to ignore them and feel satiated that I am not paying what it costs to perform that maneuver.

I'm very proud EV driver. I'd never buy any of big SUVs. They are crap apparently. Almost none I see daily on our roads has working direction ligths :shock: (little orange blinking light - I don't know the correct english word). SUV drivers from the day they buy their SUV lose sight. They park anywhere but on regular parking spots. They can't walk more then 10 meters, so they park in front of the shopping mall entry door... and surely, they are like spanish bulls, when a small EV overtakes them on the road.

I just don't want to become like one of them so I never liked idea to own a SUV.

Zelenec said:
Almost none I see daily on our roads has working direction ligths :shock:
Didn't you know turn signals are optional equipment on SUVs, BMWs, and Acuras? :lol:

Most of my driving is in the city at ≤45MPH. At those speeds, I have no problem with aggressive drivers. On the rare occasion I have to drive on the freeway (ironically it's typically to the Mitsubishi dealership!), I usually draft one of those big SUVs or a large truck. Not because I don't have enough battery range, but more to see how little amount of battery I can use.

Occasionally I have to pass someone on the freeway. I've had my i up to 75MPH with no problems. That's plenty fast enough to stay with the flow of traffic and not get bullied.

I noticed this, too. People pass me just to pass me. Then they cut in front of me (without signals, mostly) just to make a turn onto another road. People also turn onto the road right in front of me, some waiting until I'm right there before they pull out. The other night, I was driving down the road doing close to 5 mph over the speed limit, and this guy was right on my bumper, so I'd speed up a little, he'd stay right there. Then I slowed down below the limit, and he stayed there, so he wasn't in a hurry. I pulled over and let him by, and he was going 45 mph once we got back up to speed, which was the speed limit on the road, but yet would do over 50 behind me. I always though magnets were built into cars, now I believe it.

It is funny to watch Volt drivers turn completely around in their seat to look at the i.

Out here, it's pick-up trucks which are jacked-up and have huge tires. They love to intimidate smaller cars. Usually kids with no future, and baseball caps on backwards. I stay in the right-hand lanes, not exceeding 60. Beginning to like the slow lanes as they are much less stressful to drive in.

Reading the different replies, one aspect that stands out would be the more "relax" mindset of the EV driver. Now that the range anxiety is gone, I must admit that I look forward to driving the i, it's silence is just another advantage.

Totally agree with the remark of the personification between driver and car. I also have some pretty fast cars and enjoy sometimes having fun, but never stick to someone's bumper, not only it is dangerous, I feel it is a meaningless aggressive behavior.

As to cars pulling in front at the last moment, I also noticed this. Made two changes in my lightings. Upgraded the small security lights with bright LEDs which are 8000k, therefore more blue than the original bulbs. Seems that people perceive the car as more high tech, rather than a toy, I will post some pictures to illustrate. Also in some circumstances, I simp,y leave the main lights on (also upgraded to xenon) that also seems to "balance" the pettiteness of the car and have not had so many people jumping in since then.

I notice it more when I drive my gas guzzler...the Prius. When I drive the iMiev, they just stare at me.

It's a wonder I haven't been involved in a wreck yet. I don't know why, but everyone in the last month or so seems to have completely forgotten the rules of the road. Almost nobody stops for stop signs, they're driving well above the speed limit, tailgate to no end, and are just general idiots.

Yesterday, on my way home from Pittsburgh, I was very nearly rear-ended by a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I actually had to move forward to prevent a collision (we were stopped at a red light), then she proceeded to drive so close to me I couldn't see her hood until we got to the highway, where she flew past me doing at least 20 MPH over the speed limit. My friend was driving his van, I was following him but he got ahead on the highway, and got stuck behind yet another coal-roller (jacked up pickup with the big stacks blowing black smoke everywhere...plate actually said "eat coal"). After stopping at my friends place to help him unload the van while I grabbed a charge, I was on my way home. About a mile from home, I see a pickup flying down the side road towards the main road in front of me. I slow down, thinking there's no way he'll be able to stop, but he does. I go past, he pulls out behind me, highbeams and all, and is on me in no time. I stop at the stop sign and make my right turn, he stays right on my bumper, never even taking his foot off the throttle for the stop sign. I get up to speed, giving him a little more than the speed limit, but he decided that wasn't fast enough. He floors it, still on my bumper with his highbeams on, goes to pass me, I swerve so he doesn't hit me, just barely gets around me and is gone, probably going well over 90 MPH.

My question is, where are the police at? I hardly ever see any cops, and when I do, they are just driving down the road. Nobody gets pulled over. The roads are out of control. I'm tired of having to get out of everybody's way just because they want to get there 3 minutes faster.

The sad part is, it's nearly everyday I'm either tailgated or someone pulls out right in front of me. I don't want to have to get another car because some impatient idiot totals mine.

There are idiot drivers every .
Now I don't recommend you do this....
Sometimes when I have one on my tail I start to slow down and eventually they floor it and pass me.
If I meet up with them at the next traffic light & end up beside them, I stomp on it and out accelerate them up to about 50 km ph ( 30 mph) and then slow down and allow them to go racing past me again.
They usually are quite surprised and just take off ahead of me.
I hope that with the visible EV badges I installed that this gets them to have a little more respect if they see another EV on the road.
Sadly some never will.

If my back tires were balanced, I would've run him up faster than 60, or at least followed him long enough to get his plate and call the cops. I'm still trying to get my back tires replaced and haven't balanced them since taking the rear Continentals off. At 57 MPH, the car starts shaking.

It's because from behind the Imiev's look sure doesn't ooze performance. So they see the little econo looking car and feel they will be held up behind it and have a mission to overtake. Without first taking note if the car is driving slow or not. Just a Neanderthal reaction...( eco car = slow me overtake) :roll:

In the past I drove a early 80's honda civic hatch. Brown color with 13" steel rims (totally stock looked like a elderly persons shopping trolly car ) Though I had build a engine package that had over 200hp at the wheels :evil:. It was very entertaining when people tried to bully it on the street :lol: The look on there face at the next light was priceless.

It's the old saying don't judge a book by its cover ;)

In the imiev I just drive at the speed limit. If anyone wants to overtake that's fine (it's there cash/ drivers license they are risking) If they want to sit up my ass and I'm doing the posted speed limit. Then I just give them a demonstration of sudden (B mode!) suddenly slowing down without brake lights. The look on there face is something like this :shock: then they back off or overtake.

Kurt

I find other drivers are more aggressive towards me when I drive my Prius than when I drive the iMiev. The iMiev is like an oddity. The Prius is a hated symbol of "liberalism".

I am not sure of all of the factors that cause this, but in my mind it's a natural "threat" perception the drives a lot of it. When people drive they are looking around at other vehicles (unless they are texting :lol: ) and making decisions as to where they would be the most safe. Large vehicles are a threat, small vehicles are not. Therefore when acting like an idiot you tend to go after the I-MiEV's of the world, not the Peterbilts. It's like a childhood bully on the playground. If you mess with the weak you are less likely to be injured and still get the satisfaction of showing your "power" to others. The guys in the jacked up, decked out off-road 4X4 pickups blowing smoke everywhere are looking for attention just like the kid on the playground----and you are the "safe" target. So when you see an aggressive driver, just give him (or her) some space so they can act out their fantasies.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have felt bullied while driving the I-Miev. Part of it was just that some people are simply incredibly rude and stupid; it probably had nothing to do with the small car I was driving. But other times, no, it WAS because of the size of the Mitsu. Some yahoo tailgating me at 55 MPH on a backroad, while driving his huge gas guzzling p/up truck. Yes, it happens a lot. Believe me, I know that there are idiots out there who don't care what you are driving, but I felt almost immediately upon driving the I-MiEv that there were people that looked at it as a joke, a car(if that) to simply brush past and push out of their way.

Lou

I wouldn't worry too much about the people who drive silly, and too close, they generally take off past me if I pull over.

But the size of the car you are in and how it is percieved sure does change some of the other drivers attitudes.

My work has an Adventra V8 which is very similar to the V6 Holdens the police use, and for some reason :shock: I don't get tailgated or have any probelms changing lanes as long as I signal my intentions. Of the few times I do have a tailgater, I pull over and make like I am writing down the numberplate.

When I drive one of the small work cars, I seem to have a bit of bother people letting me in sometimes, but if in the bigger 4wd Hiluxes, they all seem to let me in more, maybe they think I am a farmer and farmers are respected greatly here ! :)

With the new Prius C, S Techs we now have, it looks racy enough that people allow us in easily and it is rare to be tailgated. The fact it looks like a security car, have had the ocassional person ask if it is, might be why they don't tailgate perhaps, but I like to think they are just being friendly.

In any event, I just smile and be friendly, and know I am saving the planet by driving gently, in the bigger cars or flat out in the Prius !.

benswing said:
Haven't had this problem. Will let you know when someone passes me. ;)

That's the spirit, Ben! My EV driving tends to be bipolar depending on how far I need to go. However, due to the MR BEAN license plate, it seems half the time that I pick up a tailgater, it's because they're laughing and trying to snap a better photo!

:roll:

I guess I po'd a punk in a ratted out Audi A4 yesterday crossing over the Peace Bridge in Buffalo, NY going into the inspection booths. This kid was on my azz from the bridge even though the speed limit is only like 50kmh and there was a truck in front of me. Heading into the Nexus lanes, he jetted around me without signals and not enough clearance. I honked and he just waved, I had enough. So, I gave him a piece of my mind and he mentioned something about my decal saying 'This Breath of Fresh Air is Brought to You By an Electric Vehicle'.

I guess he was upset about having to pay so much for gas. Heh. :lol:

Back