Any I Witnesses?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatedad11

Recently returned from 5 day trip to Southern California(Basically from San Diego to L.A.) Being that this is the land of the EV, I was expecting to see at least a few I-MiEV's on the roads. Alas, saw not one. Did see quite a few Nissan Leafs, a few Volts, some Smart Car for Two EV;s and even an Active E. Where were the I's? I actually saw an I in a hospital parking lot here in Philly, but not ever again have I seen one on the road. Theses are great little cars, where are they?

Lou

My wife says that the invoicing on Mazda and Hyundai have advertising dollars on them while the Mitsubishi ones do not meaning the Manufacturer is not putting money into getting the word out on their product.

Before purchasing my i-MiEV, I never saw a single one on the roads here in Dallas. About a week ago, I saw a white SE and gave him two friendly beeps. I'm sure he was as surprised as me to see another i-MiEV on the road.

In Slovenia only 20 rebranded Is drive arround. I saw one only twice in 6 months at charging stations. Not for sale anymore here.

Fuinny that after posting the original topic I saw an "I" on its way into the same Mitsubishi delaership that I was pulling out of. That's the first "live" sighting for me...

Lou

Dealer said I'm one of very few, if not the only, i owner around Pittsburgh. The only one I've seen on the road is my own.

Oh have faith, there are more everyday!!

Remember, there are a lot less Mitsubishi dealers than Nissan/Chevrolet/BMW. i-MiEVs are in pockets around great dealers -- in Bloomington/Normal, IL you see them everywhere!!

My first live sighting was in Seattle Washington -- it was the President of the Seattle EV Association!!

And Stuey and I are rolling around Orange County everyday -- almost 18k to date -- mostly on the 405 in the HOV lane!

At a meeting of our county council I was told they have seen an "i" in the parking. It turned out it was ours :D

During one of our long distance rides we met our first "i" in the wild at the charger. It was waiting for us to reserve a parking lot in front of the charger because of those ICE bastards who cannot read. It was owned by the company after all.

We have seen 3 others but all were exhibts.

Since 4 months, I have seen one blue Peugeot ion in Geneva, seemed privately owned. Otherwise one of the two renters from Federal Polytechnic university, then the one from my garage !

Swiss French speaking area is way behind the Swiss German area. There is no effort made for EVs which is strange for such environment friendly culture with high respect for nature. If you ask the parking staff, they do not even know they have an EV charging spot and most of time these spots are not in working conditions.

Within 4 months, I have only charged twice outside the house using a maintenance plug in the parking lot of a privately owned hotel.

I would be more than happy to drive to Geneva (60km) if I could count on a charging facility.

It's really simple to find a place to plug your car. Just plan a stop for lunch in any "EV friendly" restaurant in Geneva. When I need to charge in no-charge-stations-area, I just ask nicely to plug my car for few hours where I order something to eat or drink. I was never refused. It happened twice even that my meal was "on the house", being so interesting guest willing to go deep into EV related debates. :D

I will try that. But in Geneva, like many EU cities, it is very rare to have a restaurant with its own parking places. Therefore the choice is reduced to very few...

I am also thinking of asking Citroen dealers. Maybe they will accept for a small fee, as a gesture towards a potential client. The notion of rendering service in Switzerland is very odd, not to say strict, you might be surprised at some comments and feedbacks when you ask for something's out of the "norm" even of you are willing to pay... I would not be surprised if some would be worried for their electrical system or some other reason I am not capable of imagining :shock:

Could be, Llecentaur, swiss people are hard to move sometimes. In my area it's normal to help if any driver needs help. It's probably the heritage of our old communist system. Still, I'm sure you can google for some nice restaurants at lake with their own park place and some outlet. You can promise them you'd recommend their place to all EV drivers as one of best EV friendly restaurants.

Another i-witness report: Saw a silver SE in Garland, Texas on Saturday, March 16th, 2013. Gave him a wave but didn't receive one back. I guess SE owners don't wave to ES owners. :lol:

aarond12 said:
Another i-witness report: Saw a silver SE in Garland, Texas on Saturday, March 16th, 2013. Gave him a wave but didn't receive one back. I guess SE owners don't wave to ES owners. :lol:

Still haven't seen one in the Buffalo, Niagara area yet - I've had a few Smart Cars wave at me mistaking me for one of them.

Saw one that wasn't mine, but was the exact same color (raspberry) near the University of Utah in Salt Lake City the other day. My girlfriend and I were crossing the street, and then I excitedly started pointing after a moment of confusion. ("What's my car doing there?") The woman driving it probably just assumed we were pointing and saying, "Hey, look at that funny car."

This past Saturday, I saw a Blue Nissan Leaf, a Silver I(my first official sighting in the wild of another I), and 2 Chevy Volts, all on the same jaunt to the grocery store. The week prior I had seen a Tesla Model S, and that is the first Tesla I have seen anywhere. Just on my way into work I passed another Chevy Volt in an LA Fitness parking lot, and a black Leaf passed by me. Slowly but surely, EV's are making their presence known.

Lou

Two of my friends, including 1 colleague, own an iMIEV. So I have seen them either at their house or at work, but no sightings that are truly "in the wild" yet.

I've seen at least three (not counting two fellow EAA members) "in the wild", and all were raspberry. Guess they're just more conspicuous. The last time was while I was EVangelizing to my minivan mechanic, showing him NEDRA videos, and an i drove by as if on cue! :lol:
WA DOL data says that 33 i-MiEV have been registered in the Evergreen State, mostly around Seattle, of course.

Back