Wingnut for motor cover

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boffingham

Good morning all,

I was poking around this morning and discovered that one of the wingnuts that should hold the motor cover down is broken at the base but still files the tapped hole. Now I need to drill this out if possible. What is the size of the wing nut so I can find a replacement. Thanks!

It's not a wingnut. It's a strange M6x1.0 wingscrew, about 13mm long with a smooth narrowed tip on it. Strange, because at first glance it looks as though a phillips-head screw was merely screwed into a wingnut, with a flat washer permanently attached on the side that goes onto the lid. But it really is one piece (the three parts held together with an adhesive?). This thing got past the bean-counters as it seems to me that an ordinary screw with washer would have done the job. If the body of the screw is broken, you might be able to very carefully drill a small hole into the screwed-in part and use a very small screw-extractor. On second thought, you might try using a tiny magnet to attach to the screw and unscrew it - it's a fairly loose fit. On third thought, I didn't pull the cover off to see what access you have to that screw - you might try that first. Good luck!

Thanks Joes, I will just try to drill it out, the other is one at the back is very corroded and does not even hold the cover down well.
I will just replace with something from HD or Fastenal.

Cheers!

Boffingham said:
Thanks Joes, I will just try to drill it out, the other is one at the back is very corroded and does not even hold the cover down well. I will just replace with something from HD or Fastenal.
Corrosion, what's that? ;) Now I understand the heavy coating on the wingscrew. I'd be inclined to use stainless screws and washers for this application, with a dab of oil or grease on the threads.

Back