Don
Site Moderator

Re: [POLL] On-Board Charger and DC/DC Converter

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:59 am

!.) Year and miles: Two cars, both 2012's one with 35K, the other with about 30K

2.) OBC Failure Experience: None on either car

3.) 12 Volt battery condition & age: Both replaced with Mazda Miata AGM batteries. The first one when the car was only about 3 years old because it had been in storage for about 10 months and the original battery was very weak when it was returned to service, the second car got a new battery proactively when it was 6 years old because of what I read here on the forum - Battery still seemed strong . . . . but it was 6 years old and no doubt on borrowed time

4.) 12 volt battery maintenance: - Zero. Never needed to add water, never trickle charged either one, though I probably should have on the car that was in storage . . . . but I didn't

5.) Charging history incidents: None that I can recall. For several years, we seldom charged either car to full - Maybe once every 6 weeks or so. Seldom need a full charge the way we use these cars. We can go several days, making 6 or 8 or 10 mile trips and then recharge to 80% or so when we get down to 20% or so. Lately we've been making more freeway trips and we have been letting them recharge to full most of the time

Because of all the recent failures reported here, we pretty much quit L2 charging completely a year or 15 months ago. One car recharges L1 at 12 amps using a modified OEM Panasonic EVSE and the other car uses a bone stock EVSE at just 8 amps. It's pretty hot here for 6 months or more and my 'theory' is that the added heat from L2 charging might be responsible for many of the failures. For the first 5 or 6 years when we were using L2 maybe 50% of the time, it was limited to 12 amps (2880 watts) max. Can't recall if either car has ever been recharged running 'full blast' at 3.2 Kw

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Lithim

Re: [POLL] On-Board Charger and DC/DC Converter

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:00 pm

This may be of interest to people on this string:

As the owner of a 2012 IMIEV I recently received a letter from Mitsubishi.

...... " due to potential low durability of the capacitors on the circuit boards in the On-Board-Charger (OBC), the capacitors may short and cause the high voltage fuse in the Motor Control Units MCU) to blow. As a result, the drive battery may not be charged by regular charging and the 12V battery may not be charged. When this occurs, the power unit and 12V battery warning lights will turn on."

Mitsubishi is extending the warranty for the OBC to 10 years / unlimited miles.

TSB-19-54-016

Letter dated September 2019.

Mitsubishi Customer Relations; 1-888-648-7820 M-F 7AM.-4PM. PT

Stay charged my friend
2012, model ES
Silver with QC
Leased, now owned.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”