danpatgal

Re: WHAT CAN I DO TO INCREASE SALES OF THE CAR?

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Vike wrote:The most credible story I've heard so far is that Nissan set the U.S. price for the Leaf lower than Mitsubishi had expected, and they were stuck at the end of an expensive development program with a less appealing car that cost so much to build that they couldn't sell it profitably at a competitive price. In other words, they had to sell 'em at a loss to sell 'em, and they sure weren't going to spend advertising dollars trying to boost those transactions. While I sort of understand that story, it doesn't jive with later statements that they were "disappointed" by sales and had to "re-think" their electrification plans; at the end of the day, I think the "losing money" story is close to the truth and their more recent statements are part of some scripted performance justifying actions planned long ago. That's the real self-fulfilling prophecy. We should probably count ourselves lucky that we wound up getting our neat little 'lectro-buggies at a price subsidized at so many levels.

Vike, I think Mitsubishi got caught with their pants down. So, instead of saying, whoops, we messed up, they simply say they're "disappointed" and have to "re-think" their strategy. It's about not looking bad and not admitting they failed. In the end, that's all subjective anyway - I think they did a great job getting a quality EV to me before (or roughly the same time as the Leaf) any others, and with the best value. Let's hope the EVs keep rolling out after a very brief PHEV honeymoon.

fjpod

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I was at my dealer today in NJ...Bell Mitsubishi, the technician says they keep selling them. They order four or five at a time and they usually sell out within a month or so.

alohart

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Aloha,
Art
Honolulu: 2014 BMW i3 BEV (formerly 2012 i-MiEV SE)
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Honda Insight

MLucas

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:24 pm

I found an interesting picture on the Facebook Mitsubishi Canada - Jan 4 posting today. Two I MieVs are front and center in the photo under a banner that says, 'Come Check Out Our 2013 LineUp'. The fat lady must not have sung yet. Canadians pay a lot more for gas than the neighbors south of our borders, cars like this are more popular here. However, we do have our share of boneheads driving massive trucks with hard tonneau covers and no hitch in the receiver.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

blownb310

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Has anyone seen or confirmed that a 2013 model is coming?
Mike

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CapitalDistrictEVDrivers/

tonymil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:31 am

blownb310 wrote:Has anyone seen or confirmed that a 2013 model is coming?

There's going to be an "i" at the NY car show in a couple of weeks. I hope they wouldn't stick a 2012 model in that show.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/company/autoshow.do

blownb310

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:01 am

Oh, that's good. I'm planning to go next Saturday, and I look forward to seeing one there. I see no mention of the new Mirage though. I was hoping to see one of those too.
Mike

BillSF

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 pm

I heard from a Mitsubishi engineer that there won't be a 2013 model. they want to sell off the remaining 2012's and then will issue the 2014's

Bill

nsps

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:12 pm

BillSF wrote:I heard from a Mitsubishi engineer that there won't be a 2013 model. they want to sell off the remaining 2012's and then will issue the 2014's

Bill

If that's the case, I guess the good news is that they aren't just abandoning the model completely just yet…

blownb310

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:30 am

tonymil wrote:There's going to be an "i" at the NY car show in a couple of weeks. I hope they wouldn't stick a 2012 model in that show.

They had four of them there, in every color available.

I was actually glad they had them at the show. They also had a Diamond White Pearl/Ocean Blue one that was part of the EV Pavillion demonstration ride along loop outside.
Mike

Return to “Suggestions for Mitsubishi”