Rear Seats Design

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandange

Having owned a Honda Fit prior to this automobile

I had enjoyed the practicality and versatility of the Fits rear seat "Magic Seat" design

I don't now about the logistics or the design details, but suggest that the i-Miev would have a lot of space to gain if a variation similar to this design were possible for the rear seats.

I agree that the Honda Fit's configurable rear seats is a most favorable distinction between it and all other compact hatchbacks of the same ilk. Unfortunately, the Honda Fit EV does not possess this feature. :evil: Let's face it, they gotta put the batteries somewhere and that somewhere intrudes into the rear footwell; nevertheless, well worth the suggestion to Mitsubishi to trigger their creative juices. The Leaf has a nice compartment under the rear platform (especially with its optional divided insert), and have you seen how abominable the aft cargo space is in the Ford Focus Electric? - it's a cruel joke. Of the electric cars presently available, I think we have the best utilitarian setup with our flat floor, and Mitsubishi likes to tout that we presently have more cargo space back there than the Leaf. :roll:

Don't forget, there is a lot of stuff under our rear seats. It wouldn't be possible to do anything else with it. Our tire repair kits are under there and so are some controls for the air conditioner and other electrical doo-dads.

It could be worse. When I looked at the Nissan Leaf (before I bought the i-Miev) the rear seat was very high, to accomodate the batteries under the seat, so when folded down, the flat area was very high. In addition, there is a ridge behind the seat which goes all the way across (where there also are batteries) which effectively cuts the rear storage space in half. :( I fly RC planes (electric of course) so I need one big piece of open space, not a split storage space. My smaller i-Miev has more useful storage for me, so I'm happy. :D

Back