120 V Charge cable storage

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandange

New to the Miev and realizing I would be dealing regularly with the 110 Charge cable,
I had the idea that a permanent storage space incorporated into the trunk area would be much better and handier than the soft bag they supply.
Comments?

I too wish there was a 'designed in' space inside the car for carrying it . . . . but I wouldn't want to give up any storage space behind the seats - Good suggestion

There is a removable panel on the right side that maybe could have been designed to hold it

Don

Added a lightweight protective rubber-backed carpet from Home Depot, and use three large Rubbermaid containers. The center one holds the headrests and EVSE whereas the two side ones are for groceries and are lower to make it easier to stick the groceries in. Rarely do we have more than two people in the car, so we normally keep the iMiEV in this station-wagon mode.
MitsiCarpet.jpg

MitsiCarpetCont.jpg

I also did something similar
I added a rubberize backed black carpet (Home Depot), but cut and fitted it a little shorter than what you have there.
Also bought a smaller storage bin some what narrower but tall to keep car accessories in - hoping to keep some cargo space free (we usually have the rear seats up)

Filled it with
The charge cable
a 12 volt air compressor
Windshield foil sun reflector
a couple of tie down straps

I did add one more thing which may or may not be recommended - that is a 25' heavy gauge # 12/2 Exterior extension cable to connect the 110v charger.
On a couple of times I was just short to access a 110 exterior plug to charge up while visiting people & had to drive up on their lawn.

For winter I'll have to add
traction aids, snow brush
Windshield washer fluid
I almost added Jumper cables I wonder, would we ever need those?

Sandy, I didn't realize a two-wire extension cord would work - I thought it had to be grounded. :?
12V jumper cables are good insurance in case we inadvertently run down our 12V battery.
Unfortunately, this stuff adds weight, and the name of the game is to keep the car light to maximize our energy use.
I would like to see Mitsubishi repackage the front-end to include a sealed storage compartment, which could be used for our L1 EVSE.

It's kind of funny that yes, we still need jumper cables. The owner's manual goes over quite extensively why and how to use them. Good idea to read that before you need it. The car won't even charge if the 12V battery is dead, because the charger (the onboard one) get's its power to run from that battery.

I'd like to see a storage box upfront, too for the L1.

In these parts, the hardware stores call them 12/2 - ground copper wire is a given as standard.
I guess I'll need to pack the jumpers for the winter as well.

Yes a storage up front could even hold the tire repair kit.
Maybe even make enough space to adapt the "Magic seats" rear seat configuration

Back