Ozimiev

Re: 2013 Mitsubishi I Suggestions

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:57 am

So a newer, lighter and more efficient emotor ????

Given the present emotor is 95%+ efficient already that last part has me wondering.
Newer ? OK, this year's model
Lighter ? I guess that a kilogram matters but...

Hey, if they really want to move the technology on then leave those bits alone and work on the battery.
Make it lighter and more capacity (efficiency itself is already very high).

I'm happy with most other things on the i.
Doesn't the iMiEV evo get 80kW out of the same emotor ?

Oh, and why not use reverse cycle airconditioning ? Rather than the kettle in the present i.
It would be so easy with the mitsubisbi inverter aircond system used presently.
A reverse cycle aircond (heat pump) would use 300% less energy for heating. Now that would be worth crowing about.
Well maybe an issue in very cold climates. It never gets below zero where I am.

LED headlights and high beam.... yes, that would help with long slow drives at night.
50,075km on an August 2012 i

alohart

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:10 am

Ozimiev wrote:So a newer, lighter and more efficient emotor ????

Given the present emotor is 95%+ efficient already that last part has me wondering.
Newer ? OK, this year's model
Lighter ? I guess that a kilogram matters but...

That greater efficiency apparently results in more power (196 Nm vs. 180 Nm) with less electricity used (E.U. range increased by 10 km). I would probably have preferred making the new motor even smaller such that the power was unchanged but the range was increased even more. Relatively small improvements, but even more important to me is that this suggests that Mitsubishi might not be abandoning the i-MiEV immediately (well, at least the slim-boy non-North American versions). With terrible U.S. sales, I wouldn't be surprised if Mitsubishi pulls the plug on the fat-boy North American version while still updated the non-North American versions.

Ozimiev wrote:Hey, if they really want to move the technology on then leave those bits alone and work on the battery.
Make it lighter and more capacity (efficiency itself is already very high).

There is obviously lots of ongoing work to improved battery efficiency, but this apparently takes time. I understand that Japanese i-MiEV versions can be purchased with a Toshiba battery pack that could be quick charged frequently without as much degradation, but it might be heavier. That battery pack might not be an improvement for those who don't quick charge frequently.

Ozimiev wrote:Oh, and why not use reverse cycle airconditioning ? Rather than the kettle in the present i.
It would be so easy with the mitsubisbi inverter aircond system used presently.
A reverse cycle aircond (heat pump) would use 300% less energy for heating. Now that would be worth crowing about.
Well maybe an issue in very cold climates. It never gets below zero where I am.

I think a few other EV's use a heat pump for heating as well as cooling, but as you point out, they aren't so efficient at low temperatures. But they must be more efficient than the current resistance heater. Maybe their heat output at low temperatures isn't high enough. I would think a small resistance heating element could be used to augment the heat output at low temperatures. This would be a nice improvement. Buying heated clothing as some are doing just isn't a big selling point to those who aren't EV fanatics.

Ozimiev wrote:LED headlights and high beam.... yes, that would help with long slow drives at night.

Seems like a small improvement at what might be a large cost. Nissan is apparently removing LED headlamps from its new base model Leaf to reduce its cost considerably. The 2013 i-MiEV needs to cost less, not more, so let's hope that the price isn't increased.
Aloha,
Art
Honolulu: 2014 BMW i3 BEV (formerly 2012 i-MiEV SE)
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Honda Insight

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:22 pm

A reverse cycle heat pump might be fine in theory, but I suspect it's not too practical in the real world . . . . especially not to heat something as poorly insulated as a car - They don't even work all that well in very well insulated houses when it gets cold out

The current resistance heater draws 5Kw and does a fair job of keeping you comfortable with a 40 or 50 degree temp differential - it's 20 or 30 outside and you'd like it to be 70 or so inside. The current A/C system uses about the same power (4.5Kw) and it does a fair job of keeping you comfy with a 20 or 25 degree temp differential - It's 95 or 100 outside and you'd like it to be 75 or so inside

Heat pump efficiency at low temps is much worse than A/C efficiencies, so I sure don't see any '300% energy savings' by trying to use a heat pump for warming a car when it's 20 or 30 degrees outside - I suspect if the heat pump drew the same power as the A/C does (which is also about the same energy the resistance heater draws) the car would never get even lukewarm inside

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

TXCharlie

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:31 am

These overlap other suggestions already listed because they are critical to the success of the car.

1) Cruise control - that's the first thing i missed!!!

2) put standard 110V 15a and 220v 30a male plugs (or roll-out extension cords) on the car so you can pull up to a standard light outlet, dryer outlet, 220v A/C or stove outlet, plug in without any special $800 adapter box, cord, and start charging. The $550 110V box and $800 220V boxes are unnecessary equipment since the car contains all the charge regulation circuitry. The expensive boxes are obviously very dumb, unnecessary peice of hardware to inflate the price.

3) the remote only has 3 change bars on the battery. It should display the full 0-65 milage range and the same number of charge bars as on the "fuel" display m

4) hookups for range-increasing portable generator which can supplement battery power as you drive. Should also include an exhaust hose and mounting hardware for common brands of generators.

6) Hookups to charge batteries from low-voltage solar cells, with adaptable charge regulators to accept solar panels with wide wattage ranges, from 20w onboard trickle chargers to home mounted 1000 watt pv and windmill systems.

7) an air horn - the Road Runner cartoon - like beep-beep is cute but couldn't get the attention of anyone listening to loud music.

8) optional normal width tires. The narrow tires look unsafe.

9) optional front-mounted charger port, so I won't have to back into my garage.

Don
Site Moderator

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:05 pm

TXCharlie wrote:Put standard 110V 15a and 220v 30a male plugs (or roll-out extension cords) on the car so you can pull up to a standard light outlet, dryer outlet, 220v A/C or stove outlet, plug in without any special $800 adapter box, cord, and start charging. The $550 110V box and $800 220V boxes are unnecessary equipment since the car contains all the charge regulation circuitry. The expensive boxes are obviously very dumb, unnecessary peice of hardware to inflate the price.
All EVSE's no matter who made them come with computer circuitry to enable a 2 way communication with the car's onboard charger. The car cannot be safely charged without that, so they're not 'unnecessary'

Send your OEM EVSE off to http://www.evseupgrade.com - For about $325, they will modify it to supply 12 amps to the car using either 120 volts or 240 volts. With the correct pigtail twistlock adapter (about $25 each) you can plug it into just about any power outlet on the planet

Part of the problem with doing this is there are so many different sockets. The standard 120 volt household outlet is one, there are two different dryer sockets (one 3 prong and one 4 prong) and the range outlets are different still. RV parks use two different 120 volt sockets, one for 30 amps and one for 50 amps. No matter what EVSE you buy, it's only going to plug into one specific socket . . . . unless you buy adapters for all of the others

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier

Don
Site Moderator

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:29 pm

TXCharlie wrote:Hookups for range-increasing portable generator which can supplement battery power as you drive. Should also include an exhaust hose and mounting hardware for common brands of generators.
I'll go way out on a limb here and bet my next paycheck that you're not a lawyer ;)

The thought that any major car manufacturer would even suggest (let alone help you implement) that you should be able to drive an enclosed car with a gasoline engine running in the passenger compartment is just way beyond belief - The resultant lawsuits would put Mitsubishi completely out of business

When I see the GM commercials for the Volt where the owner is bragging that they haven't been to a gas station for so long they forget how to put gas in the car, I think "Those folks bought the wrong car"

When I hear that someone suggests using a running genset *inside the car* so they can go further, I think . . . . "That guy should have bought a Volt!" - Maybe a trade with the lady who can't figure out how to put gas in her Volt? :lol:

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier

TXCharlie

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:54 pm

That's why I included an exhaust hose in my proposed "redneck Volt" design, to satisfy the lawyers' possible objection to poisoning the passengers with CO from my range-boost generator :mrgreen:

OH - The charge plug could really use a built-in LED flashlight and charge indicator, too!

The first night I tried to charge the car, I was puzzled why the plug wouldn't mate to the socket. It was a pitch-black night, so I didn't notice that the rubber cover was still on the plug. I removed that, but I seemed to still have problems sticking it in, so I finally retrieved my flashlight from the glove box. I wasn't aware that it had an interior cover too.

Then after I got it all plugged in, I bumped my head on the open hatchback gate trying to see whether the little red charge indicator on the dashboard was lit or not (BTW, the steering wheel has to be turned at the precise angle, otherwise the concussion will be in vain) :shock:

To this day, I still also forget to flip the charge cover release under the dash when I get out of the car at night - every weeknight for the last three months. I may have to do some redneck engineering on the charge cover latch, so it can be opened from the outside, at which time 10w white LEDs blast the whole area with 1,000 lumens of light so I can see how to plug it in.

Then it needs some cool blue LEDs chasing around the charge port to indicate it's charging, so I won't get another concussion on the hatchback gate trying to see the little red charge indicator on the dashboard with the steering wheel turned at the wrong angle.

DonDakin

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi,

I don't know if this has been suggested before but one thing I would like to have is a beeper on the car so that when you unplug it in the morning you remember to close the charge port inner and outer doors. I constantly forget to do this and I wind up seeing it passenger rearview mirror and getting back out to close it. Since these doors are opened and closed at least twice a day I think it would be nice to have an audio chime near the rear of the car as a reminder that they are open This could be an option that you might turn off once your "trained" to shut it.

Don.....

Don
Site Moderator

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:46 pm

TXCharlie wrote:OH - The charge plug could really use a built-in LED flashlight . . . .
I built one into the center of the 5 pins in the charge handle on the Open EVSE I built from scratch. It's powered by the EVSE and only lights when you push down on the release button - There's a thread here somewhere showing pictures of that project

I agree such an LED should be standard equipment on the charge handle of every EVSE sold . . . . especially when you consider that it could probably be done for $1.50 or so if it was engineered into every charge handle. It sure is a blessing in a dark garage

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier

nt2w

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:17 pm

TXCharlie wrote: (edited for context here)

OH - The charge plug could really use a built-in LED flashlight and charge indicator, too!

I bumped my head on the open hatchback gate trying to see whether the little red charge indicator on the dashboard was lit or not (BTW, the steering wheel has to be turned at the precise angle, otherwise the concussion will be in vain) :shock:

Then it needs some cool blue LEDs chasing around the charge port to indicate it's charging, so I won't get another concussion on the hatchback gate trying to see the little red charge indicator on the dashboard with the steering wheel turned at the wrong angle.

This is evolving to a pet peeve for me- one cannot look at the charge gauge without opening the door! The Nissan LEAF has a nice blue LED charge indicator on the dash that is visible through the windshield- the MiEV could use this, or some other indication that's visible from outside the car.

Cheers-

Rich
2012 i-MiEV ES, Black (owned 6/2012-4/2014)
Aerovironment Level 2 EVSE
Powered in part by 1680W of Photovoltaics

Return to “Suggestions for Mitsubishi”