Vike

Re: 2013 Mitsubishi I Suggestions

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:56 pm

SteveB wrote:Another big improvement would be to put the button that cycles through the displays on the radio or center console. I don't know how many times I have bumped the wiper lever reaching to push the button on the instrument cluster. It's so awkward.

Steve

Absolutely - the current button location is just plain dangerous, forcing you to reach either through or around the steering wheel to access different bits of information that would be useful on the road. Since this is purely electronic, the current setup is hard to explain or justify.
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

Vike

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:23 pm

I'd suggest some changes to make the SE trim level a more attractive option for North American buyers - looking around, those seem to be a large share of the unsold i-MiEVs out there, so I'm guessing that's what Mitsu pushed into dealer inventories (or maybe that's what dealers wanted to stock, figuring they'd be more profitable - hard to say). The more SEs buyers opt for, the more profitable the line will be for Mitsu, which can only help.

Most important would be a significant upgrade to the interior trim for SE models, along the lines of what Mitsubishi UK does with their "Tamashii Pack". If you haven't seen that, you can take a 360 gander here (remember to select Tamashii):

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/imiev/ ... r-360.aspx

Amazing how different the car can look with a little sprucing up, isn't it? The "just like ES, but browner with some chrome accents" interior of the American SE doesn't feel like much of an upgrade; multiple reviewers have griped about their SE Premium review cars' plain-Jane interiors (and jumped to unwarranted conclusions as to how awful the ES must be, probably just as damaging a comment in terms of the effect on readers).

I'd also recommend offering CHAdeMO QuickCharge as a standalone option for the SE (as it is with the ES), instead of forcing buyers to upgrade to the SE Premium. With a nicer interior and QuickCharge, I'd have seriously considered the SE, but I really wanted CHAdeMO and didn't want to spend near-LEAF money on the SE Premium, so the ES was my only choice.
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

Don
Site Moderator

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:13 am

I agree 100% that CHAdeMO should always be a standalone option and not a part of ANY package - Putting it in as standard with any other options can only hurt sales. The $2700 SE Premium package would only be $2K without it and that might make it more palatable to many buyers

I have no idea why a quick charge port costs so much, but since it does getting stuck with one can be a deal breaker for some buyers. Having a $20 intermittant wiper option which you might never use added into the price is one thing, but being forced to spend $700 for something you don't want and would never use is quite another - That sort of marketing forces people to make buying decisions which cannot be good for Mitsubishi

Ideally, the quick charge port should be a last minute, dealer installed option and not come from the factory on any car, IMO - Lots of people would love to be able to add it to the 'otherwise perfect' car for them and I suspect an equal number would be thrilled they aren't getting stuck spending $700 they don't want to

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Ozimiev

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:31 am

1) CHAdeMO is of course part of the answer to faster charging of EVs that consumers always ask about.
Think about it from a salespersons position....
This vehicle (iMiEV) can charge in 14 hours (110V), 7 hours (230V 10A), 5 hours (230V 3.3kW) or 25 minutes to 80%.
Thus options covered. Most consumers only hear the 25 minutes. Leave out the CHAdeMO and they only hear 7 or 14 hours.
EVs are hard enough to sell without telling people they will take ages to charge (even if they wont be fast charging anytime soon)

2) Fast DC charging is not a simply installed connection if not already part of fusing/wiring harness and waterproof connector.
I'd prefer the factory to install the high powered DC bits rather than a dealer !

3) iMiEV comes from Japan where there are 1318 CHAdeMO stations already. Just 'cos the rest of the world is behind doesn't mean Mitsi should take bits out for other markets.
:)
50,075km on an August 2012 i

Don
Site Moderator

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Fast charging could (and should) be designed so as to be a 30 minute installation at the dealership - Much better than sticking it in every car and charging $700 for something many will never use. By the time fast EV charging shows up in most neighborhoods, CHAdeMO may not be the industry standard any longer . . . . think BetaMax. Found a replacement player to watch your old Beta movies anywhere lately? Glad you paid $1K to buy your original machine? Having any luck with your eBay sale of the dusty pile of Beta movies you found in the attic?

Part of what's wrong with the way this car is marketed by sales people (IMO) is that some are attempting to sell it as a replacement for an ordinary car to an uneducated populace. If your best sales tactic is to lie to them that it only takes 25 minutes to charge, you're setting yourself up to have a TON of unhappy customers in the very near future

It is a VERY practical car just as it is with no fast charging capability for the large majority of the population which A.) Can recharge it at home in the garage, and B.) Who usually make several trips totaling 50 or 60 miles or less each day or C.) Who live within 50 miles of their workplace and can recharge it at work. If you don't fit one or more of the above categories, this might not be the ideal car for you and the sales people should be preaching that, as opposed to fixating on '25 minutes'

I think most of the multitude of bad reviews the car regularly receives are written by people who incorrectly thought it might be a replacement for a 'normal car' (it could sit out on the curb at night and be refueled somewhere other than where they live) or people who had bad experiences driving it someplace and then having trouble getting back because they couldn't recharge it when/where they needed to - They quickly get the opinion that this isn't a very practical car. If any new buyer leaves the dealership thinking '25 minutes' they're in for a terrible shock

Rather than ever mentioning CHAdeMO stations at all (which many people may never EVER see available in their neighborhoods) dealers should be asking a few questions of the prospective buyers to try and determine if this car will actually 'work' for this buyer - Many times, it just won't and trying to sell them one is not going to do the EV industry ANY good. One terribly unhappy customer can easily outweigh tens of satisfied customers when you're pushing a new technology to uneducated customers who don't know what to expect

There may be thousands of CHAdeMO stations in Japan (and maybe you have them all over Australia too?) but the jury is still out as to whether we'll ever see many of them stateside - There WILL BE quick stations here for EV's one day, but I really doubt anyone has any certainty of what they'll look like and which cars will be able to use them. If you have to install a new $1K port in your old iMiEV to be able to use them, you're not going to be too happy yanking out your old $700 plug to fit the new one in it's place

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier

MLucas

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:04 pm

In Canada, the Quick Charge port is standard on both trim levels. I'm glad to have it no matter what the outcome of the quick charge connector. Its only a connector, which I'm sure can be changed out or adapted since the rest of the infrastructure is in the car.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

Don
Site Moderator

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Perhaps . . . . but the charger still has to 'talk' to the car and what eventually comes down the pike may be incompatible with what's offered now. We don't even know if our current battery technology will still be the norm in 3 or 4 years, so charging may wind up being a different process altogether - I think things are going to evolve really quickly once the EV idea really begins catching on and there is finally a prospect for tens or hundreds of thousands of cars in the market - J-1772 may not even wind up being standard

My point was simply that (for 2013 and beyond) it makes lots more sense to find some way to leave this decision up to the buyer, because it's not a $20 accessory - If it was designed as a 30 minute dealer install, you could go back 3 or 4 years later and get it if it turns out you'll need it

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier

Ozimiev

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:45 pm

OK, so spend hundreds of millions of dollars developing a 30 minute fit DC fast charger option and just add that development cost to the selling price of the vehicle. I think you get the point.

I'm always told never to say never. Let alone never ever. ;)

Looking at the J1772 signalling protocol and the CHAdeMO protocol, they are soooo simple yet functional. There will be no issue making/buying any form of converter/adapter for charging from/on any system. It is just a battery after all !
Ebay lists little boxes for both ends of J1772 at less than $50 already. Folk are fitting these to home conversions and making their own EVSE etc.

If any other charging connector takes of it will be political not technical, though we have seen that before.

Agreed that the 25 minute charge is perhaps just a feelgood but where it has been used it is impressive.
In Oz we are planning a few charging highways to allow EVs to be used on longer routes. I will use these and my EV is ready.
:)
50,075km on an August 2012 i

MLucas

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 pm

All valid points, Don. We are still in a shake down phase. What you are saying is we shouldn't forget that. I don't know why its standard here in Canada on both trims when there are very few Quick Chargers in the whole country, if any. Public 240v charging stations are rare enough around here.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

tonymil

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:11 pm

MLucas wrote:In Canada, the Quick Charge port is standard on both trim levels. I'm glad to have it no matter what the outcome of the quick charge connector. Its only a connector, which I'm sure can be changed out or adapted since the rest of the infrastructure is in the car.

I'm confused, my dealer told me the MiEV can be equipped either with the quick charge or the level II but not both. Do you have both?

Return to “Suggestions for Mitsubishi”