Shade cover...

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mievsolar

I found a company that makes a white reflective cover for your car.

Perhaps Mitsubishi could include this with every car they sell.

It would keep your car very cool in the summer and warmer in the colder months.

Check out their web site:

http://www.capoptop.com/home.htm

Sure a inside shade works , but this is so much better!

Yup, I got one for my pickup and will attest to their SUPERIOR customer service. They don't have a model yet that'll fit the i, but the more of us he hears from, the more likely. It's made of very light tyvek that can balloon up in any wind, so even on just a pickup cab, the tie downs at the sideview mirrors and using the windshield wipers to hold it down don't quite keep it from getting pulled crooked.

mievsolar said:
Sure a inside shade works , but this is so much better!
Anything that beats the paint off the car when the wind whips it around can't be called a 'better idea'. Putting it away after it's been rained on wouldn't be fun . . . . unless you took the time to dry it completely you'd wind up with a moldy mess inside your car after a short time - Not a good idea

The windshield ones are so inexpensive and quick and easy to use, they're the 'better idea' in my book

Don

What about tint? That's the easy answer (more expensive perhaps) for the rear windows. Some tint is even kind of reflective, but that could look a little cheezy.

If you REALLY want to do it right, install windows that automatically tint and the hotter the outside temp the more tint. In the winter time the windows would be untainted and allow solar energy into the cabin. A PERFECT application. They make them already and they could easily be incorporated into ANY vehicle. I believe there run on DC is is perfect! I advocate a solar panel on the roof of the car and a larger auxiliary battery if that where done the added load by using those type of self tinting windows would not be an issue. I believe Corning makes that type of glass plus others. LEts use the technology available to make the electric car experience better than ever. In fact ALL cars should be required to have such glass on it and that would save millions of gallons of gasoline too. Nothing wrong with reducing the pollution right?

Oh you may say, that is to expensive? Well yes and no. I think that it is about time corporate officers stop getting Grotesque salaries and start servicing the customer. Just think if money went into a better vehicle instead of feeding human egos. They would get the edge on the market and sell more cars thus making more profit to pay for that cool feature. I know...I am a dreamer...

If every car company started using that type of glass the price would drop drastically., By SOMEONE has to take the lead and why have it be a Japanese car company?

Normally one would not use the pop cover in the rain. Why would you? You would use it generally when you use an inside window shade. WHEN THE SUN is HOT on a very hot day. Last I can a remember there is no rain when the sun shines and usually very little wind as well. But why not have BOTH? If it is windy use the inside shade?

But hey you can do whatever floats your EV!

mievsolar said:
If you REALLY want to do it right, install windows that automatically tint and the hotter the outside temp the more tint. In the winter time the windows would be untainted and allow solar energy into the cabin. A PERFECT application. They make them already and they could easily be incorporated into ANY vehicle. I believe there run on DC is is perfect! I advocate a solar panel on the roof of the car and a larger auxiliary battery if that where done the added load by using those type of self tinting windows would not be an issue. I believe Corning makes that type of glass plus others. LEts use the technology available to make the electric car experience better than ever. In fact ALL cars should be required to have such glass on it and that would save millions of gallons of gasoline too. Nothing wrong with reducing the pollution right?

Oh you may say, that is to expensive? Well yes and no. I think that it is about time corporate officers stop getting Grotesque salaries and start servicing the customer. Just think if money went into a better vehicle instead of feeding human egos. They would get the edge on the market and sell more cars thus making more profit to pay for that cool feature. I know...I am a dreamer...

If every car company started using that type of glass the price would drop drastically., By SOMEONE has to take the lead and why have it be a Japanese car company?

Glass that gets darker and lighter is called photochromic. It responds to UV light levels, not temperature. It takes up to 5 minutes or so to change maximally, so one issue is that if you drove from bright sunlight into a dark tunnel, you might not be able to see quickly enough. Also this glass has not been made in a laminate form with the safety breakage features required for today's windshields.

I suppose there is the possibility of using glass that responds to an electrical charge, like the glass in your electronically dimmed rearview mirror. But I would imagine this would add thousands to the cost of a single windshield.

Then of course, there is the issue of excessive tinting breaking state and local laws.

Good points. I am talking about SIDE windows and NOT the front windows, but could be done with the right glass. And perhaps the back window too.

ALso the ones I am talking about is made by CORNING glass that works on a electrical charge and from the videos I have seen form Corning Glass the charge takes places almost instantaneously.

And yes there are TINT laws in different states.

Cost? Who knows. Not up to me to explore costs. Up to the car companies to be INNOVATIVE, not me. But I can tell you that if many car companies all wna the same thing the price sometimes becomes not much of an issue at the end of the day.

Back