Dash Displays - suggestion for improvement

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennrod12

Just picked up our MiEV and here are two suggestions that came to me right after my first drive on my own, regarding the dash displays.

1. I miss having the speedometer as a dial - the MiEV only shows one speed number, you have to read it to know your speed. I like to look at a dial, so I can tell my approximate speed by where the needle is on the dial.

2. I can't read my trip meter and the "mileage left" at the same time. If I know I have a 40 mile trip I'd like to look at my trip meter to see how many miles are left to my destination at the same time as I'm looking at the "mileage left" to see if I have enough mileage left to go the distance I have left in my trip.

Note that I only have the ES model, so I'm not sure if #2 is available on the GPS system.

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

1) I quickly got used to the digital speedo on my Gen1 Honda Insight, and now actually prefer it over analog. Time will tell for you...

2) I installed an inexpensive Garmin Nuvi 255W GPS into our iMiEV which has an "Instrument Panel" screen which shows over a half-dozen trip parameters (including mileage and average moving speed) as well as distance remaining to a programmed destination. Use it all the time as I like to leave the iMiEV set to Range Remaining. I've been using this GPS in our other EVs for years, as I've simply learned to approximate SOC by how far I've driven. When I went looking for a new GPS recently, I could not find a GPS with this wonderful feature :(

Joe,

That's a great idea about the gps - thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking of trying to rig up a bicycle computer with a magnet on the right front wheel - not sure if I could get the wire into the cabin, though. Then I could use its trip meter. I wonder if a wireless one would work around all the other electronics?

Jenn

Yep, I'm using the SpeedBox app on my iPhone for many of the same reasons. It offers a pretty accurate analog speedo and trip odometer, along with a graph of speed vs altitude. I've been meaning to graph that against amps, but haven't installed a current transducer yet to measure amps on the fly..

SpeedBox? Is it free? I just searched the app store and didn't see that exact name. - Oh, just found it now. Speed Box.

How fast does it drain the iphone battery? Do you have a mount for your iphone? (I was thinking the cup holder looked mighty handy....)

Thanks!

Jenn

I have had my IMiev for 5 weeks. I find the 3 dials for the heat, fan, and, selection very hard to read when driving. They are way too low. I would like to see them higher in a horizontal line. I also find the steering too fast when you're doing hiway speeds. I just love passing gas stations!!

Larry

idanby, I agree with you on the HVAC control location. Dunno why they didn't stick with the original MiEV horizontal pattern.

Regarding the steering - I happen to like the steering turns ratio the way it is as I drive a lot of winding roads; however, I don't think the issue is that it is too fast (i.e., too sensitive) - I wonder if perhaps the iMiEV's toe-in is zero in order to reduce friction? That's what the Honda Insight does and it avoids the very slight tire scrubbing, but the adverse effect of this is sensitivity to road grooves and ruts. The iMiEV's seems very slight compared to the Insight. I still have not received my workshop manual so I can't look it up. Or maybe it's the LRR (low rolling resistance) tires? In any case, even though it's noticeable it's not bad at all, IMO.

I find you have to take your eyes off the road for too long to adjust the CCs. They should be up higher and/or OFF should be the last stop..Not auto

Oh well, I'm not going to use CC anyway.

Back