PV1
Site Moderator

Re: Mitsubishi stupidity

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:15 am

Really? I knew it was based on a slightly older bodystyle (I don't care about the new style anyway, the EV version looks better), but what kind of issues does it have? I thought being Tesla inside, it wouldn't have much any problems.

There's one in my area. I'll have to see how they got it.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

Vike

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:20 am

PV1 wrote:I knew [the RAV4 EV] was based on a slightly older bodystyle . . . but what kind of issues does it have? I thought being Tesla inside, it wouldn't have much any problems.

There's one in my area. I'll have to see how they got it.
Don't let Tesla's involvement fool you - they supplied the drivetrain and control electronics, but higher level functions and integration were up to Toyota, and corporate obviously didn't give a damn (they think electrics are stupid, and their H2 FCEV program suggests they think we are too). For a general sense, you can search over at plugincars.com for comments by Tony Williams, who owns one. The RAV4 EV's general flakiness is referred to repeatedly - it's not exactly a catastrophe, but by modern automotive standards it's unreliable. A favorite example: There's a charge scheduling feature that doesn't work on the 31st of the month.

It's easy to "get" a RAV4 EV anywhere in the country - just buy it in CA and have it shipped. But as bad as a RAV4 EV is in California, it's absolutely nuts to own one in PA. Tesla is not on the hook to provide warranty work, and outside of California no Toyota dealers have the equipment or training to work on the RAV4 EV's drivetrain, so it would have to go to Tesla if there was a hardware problem, and I'm pretty sure they're not going to do it gratis. You might be able to get Toyota to reimburse a Tesla dealer in Nevada for a problem you had with your CA-registered RAV4 EV on a road trip, but good luck getting them to do that on a regular basis on your PA-registered gray market special. By the time you go to all that bother, may as well get a dolled-up LEAF (it'll work about as well aside from trunk space) or spring for the Tesla.
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

PV1
Site Moderator

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:35 am

Someone at Mitsubishi better proofread their site and how it shows on the iPad. The charge levels and ports are backwards, showing the CHAdeMO port as Level 1/Level 2, and the J1772 port as Level 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffjrvpufwzu12 ... M.png?dl=0

That, and the 8-year warranty is still claimed. Aren't all the new ones covered for 10 years?
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

jray3

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:14 am

Re: RAV4 EV I've done 120 miles in one of these Toyeslas, and it's a great driving machine, but my friend the far-from-CA owner has had to return it to CA at least twice and wound up getting a new transaxle under warranty (after some wrangling). It's going to be difficult for him to maintain in the future.

Re: Outlander PHEV? Yes, Mitsu totally missed the boat and my enthusiasm for it has been completely replaced by the Pacifica Hybrid. Yes, Chrysler marketing is so clueless as to call a PHEV only a hybrid and they're doing nothing to build demand (press tours, reservations, etc..), but I've read up on the engineering and think it's sound. The gas version drives very nicely, and minivans are far more practical than midsize SUVs in practically every consideration. The main thing I wouldn't want to do in a FWD minivan is try to pull a 3500 lb boat up a launching ramp... Otherwise, for hauling people, pets, or plywood- the minivan is a better family hauler.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 91,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

phb10186

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:20 am

My suspicions are that where in Europe the I-MIEV seems to now be discontinued, you still have them in the US. It's that initial inertia to test the market that led to the Outlander PHEV selling in Europe first after Japan.

It would be foolish of Mitsubishi to roll out to the US if uptake of the I-miev was actually higher in Europe, as they can sell every one made in Europe today.

The Outlander PHEV came to the UK really early, as it's a right hand drive market, so easier to supply. It is probably the case that they are exhausting I-MIEV parts contracts to supply the NA market, once that's done they could then discontinue and convert that line to the PHEV??? I'm not sure, but it could make sense to me. However, it takes a long time to tool up a new production line, and I wouldn't be that surprised if they are planning to expand production in Japan, and then look to foreign market production in the same way Nissan did with the Leaf. The other thing to bear in mind is that we pay more for cars in Europe (we pay in £ or Euros what you pay in $ - so that means more profit for the manufacturer).

The savings in Europe are also much higher, as electricity is not hugely differently prices, but fuel is - vastly more expensive, so you have a more accepting population I would have thought, AND shorter distances between places.

There are literally thoudands of Outlander PHEVs in London. Anyone with half a brain would choose one over the awful Range Rover/ BMW/ Mercedes series. https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2 ... mit=Search.

Compared to a couple of thousand I-MIEVs: https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2 ... mit=Search

I am sure the PHEV will make it to the US at some point.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 16K
2010 Insight ES-T 43K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

phb10186

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:31 am

jray3 wrote:Re: RAV4 EV I've done 120 miles in one of these Toyeslas, and it's a great driving machine, but my friend the far-from-CA owner has had to return it to CA at least twice and wound up getting a new transaxle under warranty (after some wrangling). It's going to be difficult for him to maintain in the future.

Re: Outlander PHEV? Yes, Mitsu totally missed the boat and my enthusiasm for it has been completely replaced by the Pacifica Hybrid. Yes, Chrysler marketing is so clueless as to call a PHEV only a hybrid and they're doing nothing to build demand (press tours, reservations, etc..), but I've read up on the engineering and think it's sound. The gas version drives very nicely, and minivans are far more practical than midsize SUVs in practically every consideration. The main thing I wouldn't want to do in a FWD minivan is try to pull a 3500 lb boat up a launching ramp... Otherwise, for hauling people, pets, or plywood- the minivan is a better family hauler.

There's something very Mazda 5 about the Pacifica (though I note that you dont get the Mazda 5 in the US). The Pacifica looks nice actually, but would I trust it... not sure. I'm afraid I have faith in Japanese produced vehicles, and little faith in anyone elses these days.

Golly, Chrysler don't exactly have the range of cars they used to do... only 4 of them, which is more than the UK, as they have stopped importing the brand now.
2010 Insight ES-T 43K
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

Vike

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 pm

phb10186 wrote:There's something very Mazda 5 about the Pacifica (though I note that you dont get the Mazda 5 in the US).
We used to, but it did so badly in newer crash tests (i.e. offset collisions) that sales (never strong) utterly tanked. I'm guessing Mazda could have fixed it in the next gen, but it sold so badly I doubt it would be a good investment. This is a shame, as it was probably the most efficient and comfortable way to ferry around six adults (everybody gets a window!), not to mention a heckuva lot more fun to drive than a minivan.

I find the Pacifica intriguing, but given FCA's track record, I wouldn't be willing to part with that kind of money on one just yet. If I was really interested, maybe I'd lease it to minimize the risk of it being a disaster and sticking me with, e.g., a 75% drop in resale value. Of course, if the lease deals are lousy because of crappy projected residual value, that might tell me everything I needed to know right off the bat. ;)

But honestly, for me personally the Pacifica is just way too much vehicle. The Outlander PHEV would have been a better fit for our household, since it's not too enormous to drive & park and day-to-day use would have been entirely within its EV range. The big cabin and cargo hatch would have been a luxury for road trips, as well as an occasional convenience for transporting furniture and the like. Too late, though - we got tired of waiting and replaced our 2005 Prius with a new 2016. So yeah, to our thread topic, chalk up one more in the "cost of stupidity" ledger.

I really do expect the O-PHEV to show up here eventually - I just don't know if anyone will care by the time it does. Nobody at MMNA should be surprised if 2014's "Gee whiz!" turns out to be 2018's "So what?"
2012 Silver ES w/QuickCharge+DRL/foglights, Eaton Level 2 EVSE, since 9/9/2012

Phximiev

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:37 pm

I agree with the remarks about O-PHEV; hurry up or forget it.

BTW, have you run into member Aerowhatt, who also appears to live in Albuquerque?
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

phb10186

Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:41 pm

2010 Insight ES-T 43K
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

Phximiev