Suggestions for 2014 model

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithim

Where or who can we as I-miev aficionados contact at Mitsubishi to make our voices heard for changes/improvements to the 2014 model before it is released in the spring?
There is a wealth of real world experience that would hopefully be of great interest to the powers that be at Mitsubishi. Let's figure out how, as owners of these cars to get more sold next year!!
Mitsubishi, are you listening?

2012, ES, silver with QC
Leased

If Mitsubishi is interested in hearing from owners and fans of the i-MiEV, they should damn well know this is their best source of information, whether they communicate back or not (okay, so we know not). If they're not checking here already, we're just not going to get through to them.

I'd think the major features and systems are settled at this point. If they need encouragement or clarification on things they might still be pondering, I'd offer the following easy peasy items:

• You must include the 12A Level 1 EVSE included with Canadian 2013 models. This is huge, since the shorter L1 charging time (literally overnight) would allow more customers to get by with Level 1 charging.
  • You must heat the front passenger seat. Heating the rear seats would be impractical, I get that. But since Canada 2013 had a heated front passenger seat, all the parts and wiring have already been developed. We all know how nasty a drain the cabin heater is, but without a heated seat for the passenger, the heat needs to be running unless the driver's traveling alone. That was always a ridiculous limitation, and it would be silly to repeat the error.
  • If, as the current web site information suggests, there will no longer be an ES trim level, the CHAdeMO option must continue to be available standalone, outside of the Premium package. Otherwise, unless the price of the car and/or the Premium package is being greatly reduced, you run the risk of winding up not offering a CHAdeMO-equipped i-MiEV for less than the price of a CHAdeMO-equipped LEAF S. You might as well not bother launching.

Not everything's so easy, but there are some other things that do matter. I hope you've given them some thought, e.g.:

• Isn't there anything you can do to put together a more upscale interior, even as an option? You were getting killed in reviews by the deadly combination of a very cheap looking interior and a 2012 SE Premium price too close to the price of the 2012 LEAF SV. It was pretty dumb to give up your value story by only showing reviewers the SE Premium to start with, and it backfired big time - the electronics package failed to impress, while more than one reviewer wondered if this was the upgraded interior, how awful must the base interior appear? (This was frustrating for those of us who evaluated both models for ourselves, since we know the ES is just less colorful and fake-chrome-y, but not really any cheaper-feeling.) I wouldn't normally consider this an item that could be addressed in the time frame, but I've seen the "custom" Tamashii package that was once offered in the UK, so it should still be doable. For those who never saw it, it rocks - take a look: http://www.mitsubishi.panoscope.co.uk/iMiEV_tamashii_red/V1R0M4/
  • I do hope you realize how important pricing is going to be. Without a meaningful upgrade in features or amenities (which I think we all know isn't coming), you have got to come in well below the price of the LEAF S, which is now below $30k. If that won't cover your unit costs, I hate to say it, but strategically you'd be better off at least meeting your ZEV targets in CA by offering a lower price (you'll need to beat the Spark EV, at least until GM hits its ZEV quota and either cuts back production or raises prices), and giving up on the wider market. It's not like you'd really be leaving anything on the table - if you can't meet the price point, you're not going to be selling any EVs anyway.

If there is to be a new model introduced in the spring, the features on that model were likely set in stone a year or so ago . . . . no way anyone's opinion will make any changes in it now at this late date

Don

Don said:
If there is to be a new model introduced in the spring, the features on that model were likely set in stone a year or so ago . . . . no way anyone's opinion will make any changes in it now at this late date
Quite true. But since the notion was raised, can't hurt to note what they should be doing - if only to keep score on how far off the mark they go. As for my suggestions, they assume that we are not getting a new model, just bringing back the old one. Even so, the first three suggestions can certainly be done at short notice. If the 2014 doesn't get the 12A Level 1 and the heated passenger seat, they're being pretty silly. If they only offer CHAdeMO w/the Premium package, they're being pretty stupid.

As for interiors, I'm under no illusions - I'm sure we'll be getting same old, same old, though I'd note that they did remove the interior 360 view from the web site, so I'll pretend I find that encouraging. And I am quite sure that they have not decided pricing yet - they obviously have to charge as little as they possibly can, but unless things have changed radically in the past six months, they are going to have to take a deep breath (and possibly some short term losses) if they actually want to move any product and/or hold on to some EV mind share. I still haven't figured out if they care about that - have you?

aarond12 said:
My suggestion for the 2014 model:

Make the CA-MiEV. Replace the i-MiEV. ;)

Well, as noted, no, we're getting the same old i-MiEV again, no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

As to the future, the CA-MiEV is far less likely than an EV version of something a lot like the current Nissan-Mitsu kei car (just launched this year). Alas, we'll probably lose the rear wheel drive. Just for reference, the eK is shown here in our favorite color :lol: :

nissan-mitsubishi-reveal-jointly-developed-minicar_1.jpg

From http://www.autoevolution.com/news/nissan-mitsubishi-reveal-jointly-developed-minicar-56109.html

I honestly could care less about the interior. I don't want to give up any of the good interior space and ease of egress.

If our batteries seem to hold out well enough, I might like to see a little more aggressive use of the battery in lower SOC (since we don't really know how low MM is going right now...). Maybe a software update can give us a bit more range.

I would like to see a passenger seat heater and maybe more of a heat pump heating system.

Here are my two suggestions to Mitsubishi:

1. Replace the key and ignition switch with a Fob and Power push button.

2. Add circuitry turn on the brake lights when slowing down due to regeneration but not using the brakes. (I have a fear the car behind might not realize I have slowed from 45 to 25 without using the brake pedal when approaching a stop light.)

Dave
2012 Black SE

I would rearrange the various Drive positions so that the least regen position comes first, then the next notch down is higher regen and the bottom is most regen. IE the D position allows easier coasting with little drive or engine braking-like regen. Then the lower positions are like selecting to hold lower gears with more engine braking. For all, extra regen on the top of the brake pedal is good.
I would also suggest an optional, factory supplied, neat and simple, no extra cost '100% electric' banner across the rear-just so people know.
The head rest is a pain angled too far forward. See another post where I found a replacement.
I would find a way to make the plastic bits look posher. It doesn't bother me but it seems to bother a lot of others.

DaveMiller said:
Add circuitry turn on the brake lights when slowing down due to regeneration but not using the brakes. (I have a fear the car behind might not realize I have slowed from 45 to 25 without using the brake pedal when approaching a stop light.)
California has changed it's laws making what you suggest legal at least, but in many other states, doing so would still be illegal.

"Stoplamps shall be activated upon application of the service (foot) brake and the hand control head for air, vacuum, or electric brakes. In addition, all stoplamps may be activated by a mechanical device designed to function only upon sudden release of the accelerator while the vehicle is in motion. Stoplamps on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission may be manually activated by a mechanical device when the vehicle is downshifted if the device is automatically rendered inoperative while the vehicle is accelerating"

Car makers make '50 sate legal cars' so we never see anything where the brake lights are illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed - I'm not aware of any manual transmission car which has a device like the one described above. I agree with you that both would be a good idea

I'd like to see the federal laws for the CHMSL changed so it's permissible for it to do what you suggest, maybe by flashing it at a rate equal to the speed of the car's deceleration but I fear that may be a long time coming

Other than the Mitsu, all the cars I've owned over the past 45 years have had manual transmissions and I slow from 45 to 25 pretty quickly by downshifting and there's no brakelights to let anyone know . . . . but I never do it immediately in front of anyone without a quick touch of my brakelights to warn them of what's to come. I drive the iMiEV in a similar manner. Tailgaters get a flash of the brakelights but otherwise, my regen is the same as downshifting in my other cars

Don

I like it Peter! The "shifter" should be P R N E D B - and the E should be free-wheel no regen, and the D could have it's medium amount of regen, and then the B has maximum regen. This puts the most efficient eco mode first.

They should heat all four seats, and they should use a direct heating defroster on the windshield (without visible lines).

They should put a flat and smooth belly pan on the car, and the stock steel wheels should have flat and smooth wheel covers with (virtually) no air holes. Then should add a crisp Kamm back, and small wheel strakes. They have total access to the SIM Drive prototypes, which have very low aero drag - a Cd as low as 0.19 - so they know how to get much more range. Heck, they could put four SIM Drive hub motors in the new i MiEV, and we would all be begging them to take our money! :)

Back