Need a 4th seat belt!!Me plus kids under the weight limit!!!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divorcedopec

I sold my 2006 odyssey for the 2012 miev SE. My kids are 12,10,8,6. I rarely have them at the sametime (2 schools different drop off pick up times). My 12 year old can stay home a bit is I have to pick up the others.
All 5 of us are under 500 pounds. The limit is 800. Why not put an optional 3rd seatbelt in the back? Let the owner keep track of weight. They can all fit even with a booster, yet there is no belt. Anyone know of aftermarket seatbelt installs? I LOVE my IMIEV. my soccer mom friends think I am crazy! Trying to start something here in a town with the worst air in the US(Fresno, CA). And with all the evtea rebates the new car was $6,100.
Best Rebecca

There is always ways to install a new belt, the main issue is a safety one as the person in the middle will not have a headrest, meaning in case of even a minor hit from the back there is a high chance of damage to cervicals.

Also keep in mind that in case of accident, insurances might drawback if there was a fith passenger.

Now in reality, in the 1960's as kids, there was no seat belt and no headrests and we are still alive. It is your choice, keeping in mind above legal and physical constraints in mind.

Thank you. Where would I start to find someone to do the belt? I and all surface streets within a 5 mile radius is I have all 4 kids. I would love to be legal.
Best,
Rebecca

divorcedopec said:
Thank you. Where would I start to find someone to do the belt?
I think this is something you'd have to do yourself. I don't see any dealer or reputable auto mechanic willing to risk the liability issues for a few dollars to make this unauthorized modification for you. Before you go searching, I would question your auto insurance provider about the subject and see what they say

Don

Thank you Don.
I realy am laughing out loud. I know how to use a drill, but install a seatbelt?!? Is there a manual or how to video. My husband is a Dr. He does not do this kind of thing. I think this is past my field of teaching.
Rebecca

Would there be a usable booster type seat with its own harness sytem that could be secured in the middle using the LATCH anchors from either side, but still leave enough room for the other kids?

That's all I can think of. And once the youngest is tall enough for his/her head to reach the top of the seat back, there are no safe options. This isn't about weight limits - it's about safely securing the passengers. Seat belts are pretty serious restraint hardware - there's no way to do it on the cheap or easy. Overall, a 3rd passenger belongs in the back seat of an i-MiEV about as much as they belong in the cargo area of a station wagon - kids do it, but it's dangerously stupid. Stop goofing around.

Back