acensor

More storage compartments

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Just unloaded the ICE we are replacing with the MiEV (selling it.)
Unloaded about 40 pounds and 80 items we carried around in the old ICE car.

True that half of it was unecessary, but half of it is either close to necessary or very nice to have in the car.
Hardly any place to put it in the MiEV.
Side pockets small. No consol between front seats. Trunk of course non existant.
No sunglass holder. Etc.

I understand Mitsu is limited by space and weight constraints but could've done better IMO at no/low cost.

Alex
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV (~65%)
2015 Subaru Forester CVT
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

Don
Site Moderator

Re: More storage compartments

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Well . . . . the less junk you carry round in an EV, the farther you can go! :lol:

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

misterbleepy

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:17 am

I was doing a similar thing a few weeks back - I was about to put our road atlas into the car, then I realised there was no point - I'd only be using the first 2 pages ;-)
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

aarond12

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 am

acensor wrote:Side pockets small. No console between front seats. Trunk of course non existent.
No sunglass holder. Etc.

The side pockets are small, but that's why they call them "map pockets". They aren't designed to hold much.

There is a tiny console between the front seats. It's perfect for my garage door opener.

The trunk on our vehicle is larger than the LEAF's. Did you mean to buy an SUV instead? :lol:

Sunglass holders for your visors cost $1 at Dollar Tree. C'mon.

http://www.dollartree.com/catalog/searc ... ass+holder
2015 Nissan LEAF S

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 am

acensor,

In my previous workhorse ('88 Isuzu Trooper) I carry two different-sized ball hitches, a towchain, a towrope, a come-along, a full toolkit, jumper cables, whole bunch of bungies and rope and straps for securing stuff, first-aid-kit, spare anti-freeze (which I've only used for others), spare oil, spare water, spare brake fluid, spare steering fluid, spare fan belts, flashlights, folding chair, blanket, ... and that's just off the top of my head. That Trooper put on less than 500 miles last year, primarily towing trailers.

In my iMiEV, my solution was to put the flashlight in the glove compartment and stick some Rubbermaid containers in the back, but they're empty most of the time and perfect for carrying groceries. Plenty of room to stow your 'stuff' if you really feel you have to.

Truth be told, when I took one of my extended day trips in the iMiEV last week (>150 miles) I did take along a spare tire off my Insight and a jack and lugwrench in addition to a boxfull collection of 240vac adapters and extension cords and my SPX L1/L2 EVSE.

Think about it - the iMiEV is primarily used for local driving and all that other 'stuff' is simply not needed. I keep my glasses in the small tray forward of the shift lever, and I agree Mitsubishi could have used some creativity in creating small cubbyholes but a trip to your local dollar/auto store should fill your doodad storage needs.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

acensor

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:32 am

All comments acknowledged as valid.

I was pretty much posting in the spirit of serious suggestions to Mitsubishi or some other EV maker in the slim chance than anyone there ever reads here. ;) It's the kind of small value-added thing that likely could be done relatively painlessly by Mitsu IF they were already doing design revisions.

One other storage solution I came up with I will cross post to accessories or another subforum:

We had a back-of-the-trunk cargo net that came with the Toyota Corolla we just gave away to our grandson. It's about 4 feet wide and 12 inches deep.
Hung it on the backside of the front seat, simply by pulling out the headrests and putting them back in as four anchor points for the upper edge of the net.
Quite a bit of room in it and the middle section, which is just behind the space between the front seats is easily reachable while driving. Can put an ipad in there, paper towels, whatever.

Alex
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV (~65%)
2015 Subaru Forester CVT
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

Llecentaur

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:38 pm

When/if making seat covers, It is possible to have a zip behind the front seats. Also, it would be nice to have a small compartiment in front of the horizontal part of the seats (below knees). My Volvo has this and it is practical for coins and other small items like garage remotes...

jray3

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 am

The inside right rear quarter panel snaps our fairly easily, hiding a sizeable void (and the CHAdeMO release cable). A clever crafter could cut and glue a plastic bin behind there for storage, with or without an access hole through the panel. After hand-prototyping, it would be a job ready-made for 3D printing in thermoplastic.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 105,400 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

aarond12

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:49 am

...or the ideal place for a subwoofer...
2015 Nissan LEAF S

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:27 pm

aarond12 wrote:...or the ideal place for a subwoofer...
That's what every EV really needs - A 2Kw stereo! :lol:

Well, dear - It looks like we might not make it back home. Turn off the stereo!

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Return to “Suggestions for Mitsubishi”