Kiwi in Slovakia

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another video trip about an iMiev, also making its rounds on Facebook:

http://kiwiev.com/time-for-a-road-trip/

https://www.facebook.com/gavin.shoebridge/videos/981292218580627/

IMO, this is a sad example of an iMiEV driver not using tools at his disposal.

He starts off by being unable to get CaniOn to connect because he is not using the proper high-speed OBDII Bluetooth adapter. Did he even read any documentation about this before trying to plug it in nilly-willy? DUH!

He DID use some smartphone app which told him how far he has to the charging stations.

In all the screen shots I saw he did not have the right-hand display set to Range Remaining (RR). DUH! The car would tell him if he had anything to worry about, or not, and he could have pro-actively compensated for this (primarily by slowing down) since he knew how far it was to the next charging station.

He appears not to have the experience to judge his remaining range from the fuel gauge itself.

He also appears to like driving fast - I have no problem with that, but not when you're trying to reach a distant destination. He eventually figured that out, but was not happy about it. It takes self-discipline to allow traffic to pass you while driving less-fast in the right lane (spoken by a life-long leadfoot).

Some of his trip was in the rain, which further diminishes range, so he needed to additionally compensate for this. I saw no altitude excursion nor any evidence of wind which could also have affected him.

I appreciated his producing the video and enjoyed the scenery and an insight into the country. He seems like a nice guy, and they make a nice couple.

Absolutely no need for the "range anxiety" exhibited in this video. Gives EVs a bad name.

Yes, but this is the reality for many users of the i-MiEV, in the beginning. I had to change some things in the way I drive, study the roads that I will have to choose. And in 2012, when I did some of my longest trips, there was no CaniOn, at least for me.

Malm said:
... in 2012, when I did some of my longest trips, there was no CaniOn, at least for me.
The CaniOn trip average Wh/km number is certainly useful (my personal goal is <100 on long trips) and I'm always amazed, on short trips, how quickly the number can drop with regeneration; nevertheless, without CaniOn, simply comparing RR with DTG (Distance To Go) off any GPS-enabled device and keeping RR>DTG is sufficient. I like to keep at least a ten-mile cushion to deal with contingencies, which means I rarely drop below two bars on the fuel gauge.

I agree with the 10 mile cushion...seems to be a great idea.
Had an unexpected roundtrip of 120 miles today, no problem....
One L2 at the far end. Had a truck tailgate me for 20 miles and then nearly hit me when he attempted to pass. I am sure he was surprised when I hit the accelerator as he all of a sudden was WAY back in my rearview mirror.

My decisions can't be to bad, after more then 80.000 km, driving to so many places here in Portugal, even went one time to Spain, never run out of energy without a charger point at my side. One time, 4 years ago, I was surprised with turtle at 7 km from home. I began the trip with 14 bars and I thought that they would be sufficient to do the 90 km of the trip. They were, but by few. It was the first time I saw the turtle. I have seen it much more times, but since that first time always by purpose, knowing that the 2,75 V in one cell is far or just bringing it to life near my house. One or twice times an year, I do go to very low SoC (even 0,0% SoC, if possible), because I like to know who are my weakest cells, how much distance can I do with my turtle and how much energy it can take from 0 to 100% SoC.

One more point on the video: what he did also experience is charger anxiety; i.e., having arrived at a charging station, the darn thing refused to work! In his two cases, he got the DCFC to work and charge his car, with a big sigh of relief! At least he didn't have a line of cars queued up waiting to charge.

It's the Nissan-sponsored DBT chargers that have been installed thoughout Europe. They're crap. Especially with Mitsu made vehicle. Some newer software versions will not charge our vehicles at all. I have experienced this with my C-Zero. Other DBTs will cut charging with the infamous 0x504 CAN error now and then. Some have already been replaced with other brand chargers.

That red paint really sets the car off. Too bad more colors weren't offered in the US.

I finally did drift a bit in a covered parking lot. Couldn't get too carried away, though.

Here's another video from Gavin's Google+ page. It shows a 0-100 KPH (0-60 MPH) comparison between the i-MiEV/iOn/C-Zero and the i turbo, plus some other stories.

https://youtu.be/2T8P1McZCoE

Very enjoyable video, thanks Phximiev for the link.

I did notice a significant difference: the peak current shown on his CaniOn was a little over 170Amps and a 0-100km/h (62mph) time of 12.09 seconds with unknown ramp-up delay (have to watch that video again to see if it's measurable). This compares to our NA version having about 155A max, a two-second ramp-up delay, and 0-60mph time of around 14 seconds. Perhaps due to Mitsubishi having to warrant the battery for 10 years and 100,000 miles?

Another great video.

Worried about 21% charge left, try climbing a mountain with three miles to go and being at 12%. Not pleasant, but I made it with 8% left.

I was referring to the video before he went back to New Zealand for his Christmas summer holiday.

In the video that starts with him on the beach in NZ and then progresses to a winter vs. summer range "test" back in Slovakia, I thought it was rather silly, as he was obviously concerned about running out at the end and aborted the test short of his home. Problem with showing this off is that people don't understand that he is playing and might take the trip as a demonstration of serious range limitation. He could easily have filled up in Austria while he was playing in the lake and turned around an driven home unconcernedly. I do note that his hypermiling skills are developing...

Another Google post by Gavin:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+GavinShoebridge/posts/4CrJbknMm7e?cfem=1&pid=6272337023567887714&oid=101196514717753615194

Slovakia update per Symsite: http://www.symsite.sk/#!Just-49-electric-cars-in-Slovakia/gpu7a/56de78700cf20b1aa9cf8f6f

“Just 49 electric cars were registered in Slovakia at the end of last year. Almost 80,000 new cars were sold here last year. The low sales of electric cars stem from their high price, limited network of charging stations, and the absence of any tax stimuli or subsidies. Car makers offer 13 electric car models in Slovakia.“

Gavin suggests however that he: “saw some statistics from the car makers' union earlier this year and apparently Slovakia has just edged past 200 electric cars on the nation's roads - although that probably includes electric scooters. The problem with EVs here (like much of the world) is that they're just too expensive for the average person, but the good news is they're falling in price rapidly. Also, the naysayers are starting to vanish too.” He also says he remembers: "how much negativity there was 10 years ago... wow. The difference to today is remarkable.”

Back