My first ever rapid charge

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterbleepy

gh73Mnx.png

The charger is at Hayle in Cornwall, UK, and opens up the extreme west of the UK to me :)

Glad to see the DCQC networks expanding worldwide. Misterbleepy, thank you for the photo. At least for now, the rapid chargers will not be affected by the increase in plug-in hybrids and their hogging of conventional public charging stations.

We had a new Fast charger installed here in Montreal , Canada.
I couldn't resist - had to go and try it out - It has 2 connectors as well - the other was the combo.

sooooo convenient (23 minutes)
I'll be frequenting this charger until they get one located to the North of Montreal

Congrats to Mr Bleepy! MR BEAN took what I consider to be an ideal fast-charge trip last night. Three CHAdeMO sessions for a 165 mile round trip that was 75% highway, adding one hour to what would have been a three hour journey. One of the three stops would have happened anyway for bio-fueling, though if in a gasser I probably would have had a drive-through gut-bomb rather than a fine plate of fresh fish close to the charging station.

That's about my limit, certainly if passengers are involved. For longer distances, the charging/driving time ratio approaches 50%, so one must allow for as at least twice the normal time for a trip. Outside the metro areas, DCFC spacing isn't close enough for an iMiEV to skip a station, so if one's down, you'll have to camp for up to 3 hours on L2. Getting stuck in a fast-charge lineup behind two LEAFS is bad, but that's the worst I've seen thus far. On this trip I encountered LEAFs at two of 3 stops, but only had to wait once for under 10 minutes (part of the strategy of driving Sunday during a Seahawks game). Fast charging makes the i-MiEV a good 'metropolitan region' car, but not a highway cruiser. That's where the Outlander PHEV with CHAdeMO would be a hoot. I'd map bio-breaks according to CHAdeMO access, but not incur a significant time penalty compared to gas-only travel.

Since Mitsu has fumbled so badly on the US Outlander PHEV release, I'm talking with a Volt-owning friend about trading cars during my 3000 mile Christmas road trip, and progress on the pusher trailer continues slowly...

It may be the only one I ever use - there are none further west, and as the westernmost point of England is only 20 miles from that charger, that doesn't really matter. The nearest one to the east is for Nissan cars only, which is unfortunate, as if I could use that one I would be able to make it to the motorway network, and I believe most service stations have rapid chargers now. The country is only around 20 miles wide north to south where I live, so I don't need one to reach either of those coasts.

Sorry to hear that "brand-ism" is an issue in the UK as well. Nissan USA left EVSE access policy up to their dealers, so some have CHAdeMO open 24/7 on the ChargePoint network (at varied fees), while others only allow access during business hours, manually activate the charging session, and only if you have a LEAF purchased from that dealer! More are somewhere in the middle..... The PlugShare app is essential for finding out individual dealer practices (unless you want to actually place a call on your phone! :eek: ).

Please find here some graphs about my first Chademo rapid Charge last summer.
I went back yesterday to try to get some missing data, last time I didn't check the DC kill A watt values at the Chademo charger,
But this recent Chademo charger was out of order, .... and also the system get aware now that my card was not a KiWhi Pass... :? http://www.kiwhipass.fr/ ,
so this was my first and may be last ever fast charge.

Anyway, this first graph below is showing how the amperage have to adapt quickly to the maximum voltage allowed.
For my Blue Lightning 88 battery cells, the soft landing is for a maximum value of 361 Volts.
In other words, the internal battery resistance and the Ohm's law, Voltage = Resistance x Amperage, can only allow a 80% charge at high amperage, otherwise, it would blow off the battery.
A longer soft landing at lower amperage could be done, but it would be time consuming.
This is also probably the reason of a Renault Zoe owner's comment, complaining this fast charger was looking for him as 22 kW-h "powerfull" instead of 44 kW-h, http://chargemap.com/points/details/auchan-le-havre .

1-Chademo Voltage Amperage versus SoC

Below, in my opinion, the battery temperature, during a rapid charge, increases at a faster rate than at home with my "16A" Charge, but at the end of charge, temperatures are identical.
On right, the balance of the battery cells is good at the end of the fast charge

2-Chademo Temperature, Cells Balance versus SoC

On left below, energy input, following Canion SecLog data.
These values, as said before, are not true values, the line slope versus SoC give 14.68 kW-h per 100% SoC, it should be, for this 88 cells Battery, 16.28 kW-h, (Blue Lightning battery capacity) or above.
The magic correction coefficient, from other data, for me, could be the ratio 60/50, so the real DC charge would be of 0.1468 x 60/50 x 100 giving a DC input of 17.62 kW-h per 100% SoC.
With this number the fast DC charge efficiency from the plug on the car would be of 16.28 / 17.62 = 92 % which would be far better than an AC charge if the Chademo charger efficiency is forgotten.
This number might be true, as the DC Chademo charger probably by pass all this AC DC => DC AC => AC DC on board charger, http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/online/Service_Manual_2011_2012/img/54/AK900546AC00ENG.pdf

A curiosity below on the right graph, during the fast charge, RR was giving a range of 255 km... Battery cell voltage stays close to 4.110 volts and does not go above this value.

3-Chademo Charge, Umax, Umin, RR, versus SoC by Blue I.ightning

When the high amperage stops, thank to the Ohm's law, the voltage goes down, see first graph on top, so we can get a cell average internal resistance at charge.
(361Volt -358.6 Volts) / 25.08 Amperes / 88 cells x 1000 = 1.09 mOhm per Cell.
Below on the graph, this value, red point, seems to match some values given at high acceleration or deceleration, see former post.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17242#p17242
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17252#p17252
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17602#p17602

4-Chademo Average Cell Resistance versus Temperature

BlueLightning said:
This is also probably the reason of a Renault Zoe owner's comment, complaining this fast charger was looking for him only 22 kW-h "powerfull" instead of 44 kW-h, http://chargemap.com/points/details/auchan-le-havre

No, Renault Zoe has no DC quick charge option. No CHAdeMO, no combo. Only AC, the on board "chameleon" charger supports 22 kW
three-phase. About one hour from empty to full.

Barbagris said:
BlueLightning said:
This is also probably the reason of a Renault Zoe owner's comment, complaining this fast charger was looking for him as only 22 kW-h "powerfull" instead of 44 kW-h
No, Renault Zoe has no DC quick charge option. No CHAdeMO, no combo. Only AC, the on board "chameleon" charger supports 22 kW three-phase. About one hour from empty to full.
So on, this is an other reason for me to be delighted with my i-miev clone. "baluzzo" was writing about the other Plug, an AC "43 kW" as writen by "Charge Map". "Plug type 2, Fast charging, Cable is attached to the charge point, 43kW" (southern side plug) , see this Zoe driver comment and the charger desciption at http://chargemap.com/points/details/auchan-le-havre "baluzzo on 13/08/14 at 18:26, J'ai chargé ma Zoé ce jour. La borne est sur le parking opposé à la station service (coté sud). Le personnel n'est pas au courant du fonctionnement de la prise. Moi je penche plutôt pour une 22kw car elle demande 20 minutes pour charger 30%."
I think I read that Zoe EV were one of the cause for those chargers to fail, may be do we get here the explanation...

BlueLightning, thank you for posting the graphs and your cell impedance equation (presumably from a regression analysis?). With roughly 90 milliohms in series with our entire pack, I won't feel too nervous about having a slight voltage mismatch if I decide to parallel an external pack with ours.

Back