Concept MiEV 2.0?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mart

Is this the i-MiEV 2.0?
118.jpg

Image taken from this Inside EVs article announcing an LEJ/Bosch JV.
http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-gs-yuasa-and-bosch-form-jv-to-double-capacity-of-ev-lithium-ion-batteries/

The body seems to be showing some CA-MiEV influence, with a return to original i-MiEV nose inspiration. I don't know if the i-3 inspired side windows are supposed to be showing low glass, or more likely two-tone panels black over white, but I doubt they would survive in real world production. Previous concept drawings have always made the car look low and wide rather than reflect it's true tall and narrow shape. Sideview mirrors seem to be replaced with digital camera stalks. No windshield wipers visible.

Looks interesting, but…
1. Doesn't have enclosed rear wheels
2. Has a way-oversized windshield (a pain to keep clean)
3. Non-aero wheels
4. Air inlets(?) in the snout
Nevertheless, nice to see them working the aerodynamics.

Size of battery pack and what's the man-machine interface?

Having had carrots dangled in front of me for decades, I now pay little attention to concept cars. I've never been to an auto show where a concept car was displayed that had someone actually soliciting opinions - never understood why not.

What do you suppose drives Mitsu to use 3 spoked wheels? They (thankfully) went away with Mustangs in the 1980's. They never did look good in the first place

Don

I've always fancied Pontiac's 3-spoked wheels, but not aerodynamic at all. I'm surprised by how well the covers on the ES steel wheels keep the wheels clean. I went bogging in snow and slush today and the cleanest part of the car is the steel wheels behind the covers (even where they are visible in the openings). The brakes definitely don't need ventilation. After 9,200 miles, my rotors are barely worn.

JoeS said:
Don said:
What do you suppose drives Mitsu to use 3 spoked wheels? ...
Mitsu's logo? :roll: Give me a simple flat plate for clean aerodynamics as there's no need for ventilation.
I'll bet you're right, Joe - Never though of that. Still doesn't make them look any better though

Don

In general, it looks great! It is like a lot of conceptual renderings - a bit over the top on some bits, and less than practical in others. The shape is excellent - close to ideal for aero drag and practical space inside. The wheels are *okay* but a bit too concave and openings could be much smaller. The rear wheel fenders flare out too much; interrupting an otherwise well-formed Kamm back.

I like the "cab-forward" shape a lot, and the blunt nose will also help lower the aero drag. If the rear wheel track is narrower than the front, then they could lose the fender flares, and the drag Cd would be impressive. Hopefully, the tires are tall and narrow, like on the BMW i3. And it certainly looks like video mirrors, maybe combined with small optical mirrors (like we've seen on SIM-Drive cars?).

Built it, please!

NeilBlanchard said:
The rear wheel fenders flare out too much; interrupting an otherwise well-formed Kamm back....... If the rear wheel track is narrower than the front, then they could lose the fender flares, and the drag Cd would be impressive.

That was my thought about the rear wheels as well, move them inboard and skirt them. Rather like the old Diahatsu UFE-II and UFE-III concepts, but in a larger, more practical, and stylish design. Since Toyota is Diahatsu's parent company, I doubt Mitsubishi will be sharing too many design cues, though.
daihatsu-ufe-ii-photo-125587-s-1280x782.jpg

Aero-design and practicality can hardly go hand in hand. I prefer perfect space usability over better aerodynamics for our small city car. It's better to add one extra kWh then make I unpractical. I doubt you are willing to sacrifice all that space for a couple of extra miles of range.

Zelenec, you're quite right in your assessment. My 'problem' is that my present iMiEV works just fine for all my local driving. What I'm looking for is a is a zero-emissions long-distance vehicle to replace my 77mpg Honda Insight. I'm not a big car person, so the Tesla doesn't turn me on, and Tesla hasn't (as far as I know) provided an upgrade path for the Roadster to use Superchargers. Thus, the remaining configuration is a small, lightweight, super-aerodynamic EV with a decent battery pack and, for now, CHAdeMO. I'm actually sorry I sold off my Saab Sonetts as that would have been an excellent EV conversion platform with Lithiums.

Back