Pic of iMiev and news story from Norway

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
klindholm, thank you for this post. Maybe a blue iMiEV will be available in the US next year?

Getting people rapidly out of fossil-fuel cars shows what can be done on a national level if the government puts its weight to it as a national priority. Meanwhile, they're suffering from their own success. We see this already in California where, unfortunately, the incentives were also given to plug-in hybrids which now monopolize public EVSEs and are now being seen more frequently in HOV lanes.

On facebook recently CarCharging announced that it had installed an L2 public charger at a Standard Parking garage in Washington, D.C. I placed a comment on face book that what we really need is a simple 110v outlet. CarCharging promptly replied saying this would cause all kinds of problems, like the danger of electric cords strewn across the parking surface and how would the parking garage charge their customers. I responded back saying all of this was hokum and CarCharging really wanted to just be the middle man and collect money for nothing. No comment was placed after that because its the truth. At workplaces where vehicles are placed for eight hours or more, all an EV owner needs is a simple 110v outlet. Many of these can be installed in a garage and take care of this charging problem. The cost of the electricity would be covered by a premium parking charge. In my parking garage their is a reserved spot premium for those that want or need to park on the first floor in a reserved location. EVs could be handled the same way, for those that need a spot with an outlet they could be charged $20-$30 more a month. Problem solved. L2 and L3 chargers still have their place but I'm talking about the work day charging as described in this article.

MLucas said:
Problem solved. L2 and L3 chargers still have their place but I'm talking about the work day charging as described in this article.
OF course you're right- but as early adopters it falls to us to make it happen! Since I work in the public sector, I documented our state govt. precedent and got permission for employees to plug in L1, but also got Blink stations installed in our public parking lot under the EV Project, sort of a best of both worlds. ;)

I wish scandinavian mentality could somehow infect the consciousness of the average Slovenian, who still sees only weakenesses in each new arriving technology and therefore does not decide to change habits. Slovenia is perfect for massive EV penetration. It's small, has healthy electricity grid, people commute far less than 100 km in average. But still, we have more than 100 charging points and les then 200 EVs.

jray3 said:
MLucas said:
Problem solved. L2 and L3 chargers still have their place but I'm talking about the work day charging as described in this article.
OF course you're right- but as early adopters it falls to us to make it happen! Since I work in the public sector, I documented our state govt. precedent and got permission for employees to plug in L1, but also got Blink stations installed in our public parking lot under the EV Project, sort of a best of both worlds. ;)

Like to know how you did it. I work for the US Federal Government but our garage is owned by another company and operated by Standard Parking. I called and called the local manager for the garage and never got any response back at all. I sent them documentation, information and technical specs - still nothing. I even noted that Standard Parking is Green Certified (by who I wonder?) but none of that helped either. I even told them that there are outlets in the garage, all over and all that would be needed is to identify the spots near those outlets as EV parking spots and require those using the spots to have an EV hang tag to identify those that have paid for this privelage. Again nothing. At this point, I've given up and just plug in anyways. There is a camara right where I plug in and this is the second winter that I've plugged in - they must not care that much but don't want to sanctify it either.

Shucks M Lucas, I guess it helped being the school district's utilities and conservation manager, plus we own the parking lot and it's electric account. :roll: So, no greater words of wisdom to come from me on private Lot operators. good luck!!

Back