I Plugged into the Sun Today

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. Can you tell us more about the solar installation? Bought? Leased? Costs? Vendors? Amount of electricity?

I leased my solar panels through Solar City. Very nice people to do business with!!! They keep you informed all of the way. They have a new sleek design now. My electric bill now is fixed for 20 years at $48 per month.
You can get a free quote from them:

http://share.solarcity.com/gmarcucio

Thought I would share a link to a presentation that I did (featuring my iMiEV and PV system) discussing the topic of PV+EV=0 (oil). A lot of this is known by folks here, but might be of use to some, and has pictures and details of my installation here...

I made this presentation as part of the State University of New York (SUNY) Canton's Sustainability Lecture Series, as well as at the Adirondack North Country Association (ANCA) North Country Green Energy Conference this year.

http://www.canton.edu/green/lecture/PVEV_2013.pdf

Cheers
Rich

nt2w said:
Thought I would share a link to a presentation that I did (featuring my iMiEV and PV system) discussing the topic of PV+EV=0 (oil).
Your system and presentation show how solar and electric vehicles can work together to save energy and reduce pollution.

And as solar and EV prices continue to drop it's only going to get better.

nt2w, thank you for letting us view your presentation. If enough of us keep beating the drums, maybe someone will listen…

My own 6.6kW solar array has been dollar positive despite being energy negative over each twelve-month period since I installed it 7 years ago; I don't have aircon, and my biggest consumers are plain old resistive heating in winter (I have no gas) and pool pumps in summer. All my electric vehicles put together consume less than 10kWh/day (my iMiEV averages 4.2miles/kWh wall-to-wheels).

gmarcucio said:
I leased.... My electric bill now is fixed for 20 years at $48 per month.
gmarcucio, that's nice clean installation, but I'm confused: what if you change your electrical loads (e.g., add another EV)?

My brother's system is a 6.37kW (26 panels at 245W each) and so far it has produced about 27kWh /day. That is over 800kWh / month, though obviously this is during the summer. The supplier and installer is Astrum Solar, and they originally were going to lease, but ended up buying it; for about $27K, I think?

The roof is very close to due south, and none of the trees shade the panels. The chimney does shadow a couple of the panels briefly, but only just. The roof is a bit lower angle than would be ideal for production year round, but the summer production is improved.

They also installed a new heat pump hot water heater, that uses only about 1/3rd as much electricity as a resistance heater. They had been using an oil fired heater that was part of the furnace - and the oil for the heater cost them about $1,000 / year! They have been heating with a pellet stove for over 5 years, already.

JoeS said:
nt2w, thank you for letting us view your presentation. If enough of us keep beating the drums, maybe someone will listen…

My own 6.6kW solar array has been dollar positive despite being energy negative over each twelve-month period since I installed it 7 years ago; I don't have aircon, and my biggest consumers are plain old resistive heating in winter (I have no gas) and pool pumps in summer. All my electric vehicles put together consume less than 10kWh/day (my iMiEV averages 4.2miles/kWh wall-to-wheels).

gmarcucio said:
I leased.... My electric bill now is fixed for 20 years at $48 per month.
gmarcucio, that's nice clean installation, but I'm confused: what if you change your electrical loads (e.g., add another EV)?

If my loads increased more than what my system was designed for based on my normal usage then I would have to pay the difference unless my solar production also increased more sunny days etc.

Back