MLucas

Re: Euro spec i-MiEV, 2013 mod, LED headlights

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 am

Can really see the difference between the International and the NA versions. The seats are right next to the doors in the International and the windshield is a bit smaller. Nice trick with the dash filler on the NA versions.

Where are your turn signals? Are they embedded in the headlight module? I know in Canada, that the turn signals have to be 6" away from the headlights. Some cars like Chryslers actually turn off the headlight on the turning side to meet this requirement. I guess MMC decided to just add turn signals to the NA versions to avoid issues with this.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

Zelenec

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:53 pm

MLucas wrote:Where are your turn signals? Are they embedded in the headlight module?

Yes, they are inside, the lowest bulb.
Tired of smelly garage - switched to EV in 2012!
Zelenec = Greeny, Treehugger, Ecofan
www.mojev.si

jaraczs

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:30 am

I thought this thread would be appropriate for my inquiry.

I would like to take my NA iMiEV and export it to Europe, specifically Czech Republic. The more I learn about the process, the more headache I get. There is a number of modifications that have to be performed to meet the EU standards and I am lucky the turn signals are already orange. In addition, many components on the vehicle have to have EU homologation emboss/engrave and technical specifications have to be supplied by local brand representative. List of non-compliant parts has to be submitted to the Ministry of transportation for approval of an exception.

Pertaining to this thread are EU headlights that HAVE to be height adjustable. The NA version does not have it although in some parts of this forum, people were exploring this. Apparently, portions of the mechanism in headlight assembly is still present there.
Did anyone convert the NA spec headlights to have height levelling feature?
Can anyone in EU zone get access to necessary parts to execute the conversion? Even if it means replacing the whole headlight assembly.
Is ECU reprogramming necessary?

Thanks!

PV1
Site Moderator

Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:52 pm

I've been wondering about adding the knob and enabling the level function as well. Mitsubishi's adjustment knob fits in the blank beside the ASC Off button, but I haven't explored the dash enough to see if the wiring is there.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

PV1
Site Moderator

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:00 pm

MLucas wrote:Where are your turn signals? Are they embedded in the headlight module? I know in Canada, that the turn signals have to be 6" away from the headlights. Some cars like Chryslers actually turn off the headlight on the turning side to meet this requirement. I guess MMC decided to just add turn signals to the NA versions to avoid issues with this.

I much prefer the turn signals to be way clear of the headlights, much easier to see when someone's coming towards you with their highbeams on during a rainy night.

Dare I say it, but I think the i-MiEV has the most ideal exterior lighting with excellent headlight aiming and distribution. The only improvement I can think of is to have the side marker double as a turn signal.

"World" i-MiEVs have the turn signal in the section below the front marker lights, beside the high beam lamp. You can visibly tell the difference as this section is amber on world cars, but clear-ish on NA cars.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

FiddlerJohn

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 pm

jaraczs wrote:Pertaining to this thread are EU headlights that HAVE to be height adjustable. The NA version does not have it although in some parts of this forum, people were exploring this. Apparently, portions of the mechanism in headlight assembly is still present there.

Here is a photo of my car:
From the manual:
1.The headlamp leveling switch increases the resistance as it is turned from 0 to 4. Turning the headlamp leveling switch changes the voltage at point A. When the headlamp leveling switch is turned from 0 to 4, the voltage at point A decreases. Upon detection of this voltage change, the headlamp leveling unit turns the motor to lower the beam direction. At this time, the resistance of the variable resistor in the headlamp assembly changes, and the voltage at point B decreases gradually. When the voltages at points A and B become equal, the headlamp leveling unit stops the motor.
2.Turning the headlamp leveling switch from 4 to 0 increases the voltage at point A, and then the headlamp leveling unit turns the motor in the direction opposite to that mentioned in Item 1, increasing the voltage at point B. When the voltages at points A and B become equal, the headlamp leveling unit stops the motor.
3.The headlamp leveling unit detects voltage changes caused by headlamp leveling switch operation, and turns the motor to change the directions of the headlamp reflectors for the adjustment of the headlamp beam direction.

The first step might be to trace the pinion gear cable. It might go to the dashboard near the switch location. The next step might be to make a parts list. Would any of these needed parts be in USA savage yards?

jaraczs

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:43 pm

John,
Thanks for the photo. I just checked my unit and it looks the same as your. The headlights have the same connectors as the EU iMiEV (A-13 and A-26) but there are no wires for the leveling system coming in (#3, 6, and 9). So, it is pretty bad. I will have to lay down the wires, get the leveling devices and leveling knob inside the car. I don't think EU dealers will be eager to help as they would rather prefer to sell the whole car to me.
Do we have anyone from EU to shoot a picture of the leveling system?
Thanks, Stan

jaraczs

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 pm

I managed to remove left headlight assembly for closer inspection. A project I ventured into earlier but was not able to complete it. The pinion cable that some of you noticed at the high beam lamp actually extends to the low beam so that when you adjust level of high beam, it will adjust the low beam as well without the need to remove the whole unit:

Detail of the suspected "slot" for the leveling motor:

Vehicle front with a hole after removing the headlight (you may notice the wires and fuse box from my diesel heater):

A rare look into the area under hood behind the top panel with power steering cylinder and windshield wiper motor and rods:

Now, if anyone can show me where to get the leveling motor/unit, this is a million dollar question. I suspect Mitsubishi does not sell it separately. Why should they?

jaraczs

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:27 pm

http://www.carwear.com.au/mitsubishi-cj-lancer-07-13-leveling-motors-leveling-switch-add-on-package/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-Canter-TB-RS-97-00-Electric-Leveling-Motor-Headlight-Valeo-RIGHT-RH-/160887320107

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67653

http://www.awdmotorsports.com/product_p/8614a038.htm

Thanks for the links. Although the control knob for Lancer looks like a good fit, the motor units have no place to go on US iMiEV headlamp assembly. It is just different headlight.

After more detailed inspection of my iMiEV, there is absolutely no wiring for the headlamp leveling system anywhere in the car. I searched net for EU spec iMiEV headlights, iMiEV leveling system, universal leveling systems, examples of someone doing it - no success.
However, I found Eric from this forum who is located in Netherlands and has iMiEV that was involved in an accident. He could provide the left headlight and the control knob :) but the right headlight was completely destroyed during the crash. Partial fulfillment just does not fit the bill for me. I asked him to inspect the headlight, take some photos and send it to me.
I may end up buying both headlight assemblies in EU and the knob and maybe even the labor of the official installer. What if the EU spec headlights don't fit the US frame? They are certainly different as they incorporate the amber turn signal. I am going to write letter to the ministry of transportation of Czech republic whether they can grant exception. There is still possibility that I will give up and sell the car here in the US before I move and that would be the most painful thing for me to do. :(

Return to “iMiev Pictures and Videos”