Skipping the home wiring inspection

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leec

I bought my i-MiEV from Younker Mitsubishi and didn't have a home wiring inspection. I currently rent and don't have a driveway, so the home inspection would have been totally moot in my case. After explaining this and signing a waiver, I finished the other paperwork and drove it home.

I sent my charger off to EVSEupgrade so I could charge at 12A on 110 or 220V. By the way, don't use a 110V 10A extension cord at 12A: Bad things happen. After a visit to Home Depot I had a 50' extension cord (L6-20 plugs) and another adapter for a welder socket (L6-50). Most of my regular charging occurs at work (for free!). I occasionally do L1 charging at home which is useful for cooling or warming the car but handling the extension cord is annoying. I usually just suck up some range.

Has anyone else had trouble skipping the home wiring inspection?

I didn't even have to sign a waiver - I bought the car and drove it home. There was no mention of anything having to do with how I would charge it at home, though I did mention that I was qualified to install a new outlet for the car and that's what I was going to do. The Mitsu dealership has no agreement with any local contractors to do inspections and the Best Buy here doesn't even know we have iMiEV's in town

Don

Same here. I was told by the dealer that a company would be calling me about arranging for the installation of the charger. What I did with that phone call was up to me. I simply told them no thank you when they called, and I would be handling the installation on my own. I said nothing else to them or signed anything to the effect.

I am a hamradio operator since 1974. They trusted me to know volts from amperes. I am lucky to have got the old 230V/16A EVSE. Today they are the 230V/10A only

But hey I am living in europe. We feed our toasters with 230V and we cook our ham and egs with 400V 3 phase :)

What looks like paradise for EV is desert actually. No public EVSE with builtin J1772 hose. Dont even dream of CHAdeMO.

I wasn't required to do anything either. But as it turned out, the underground pipe going to my detached garage, was not conducting a metallic ground, and my Mitsubishi EVSE would not work reliably. (why a metal pipe that goes into the ground isn't grounded, I don't quite fully understand), but I pulled in a separate conductor through the pipe just to be ground. Actually my pipe was big enough to pull in 4 #10s for a future 220 volt EVSE.

leec said:
I ... didn't have a home wiring inspection ... Has anyone else had trouble skipping the home wiring inspection?
I signed the "Customer Disclosure Form" twice but never had or wanted an inspection.

The "Customer Disclosure Form" says:
"... B. Site Survey Required: All Mitsubishi “i” buyers are required to order a site survey from AeroVironment or the Best Buy Geek Squad in order to verify the suitability of the electrical system in their residence for charging."
http://www.i-mievforum.com/forum/f7/disclosure-required-manual-not-included-142.html

Mitsubishi doesn't know or care about Site Survey wiring inspection, as long as the buyer signs the form.

We told them we already had a charger installed in our garage, from a previous electric car. (Basically true.) They didn't ask for any proof.

Jenn

Do you own an i but without a means of charging it where you live? The cost of installing the electrical service necessary to charge an i in my condo parking stall is about half the cost of an i after the Federal tax credit. So if I want to own an i, I will have to charge it in public charging stations while trying to get a charging station installed in our condo parking garage.

Fortunately, charging stations in Honolulu are numerous. There are 4 L2 charging stations in a shopping center within 3 blocks of our apartment. These cost nothing to use because they are supported by advertising. But they can be used for a maximum of 2 hours. There are a couple more L2 charging stations within walking distance, but their charging cost is based on how long one uses the charging station. Considering how little we typically drive, I think that these charging stations would suffice, but when we would drive to the North Short, we'll be pushing the range of an i, so extensive charging would be necessary afterward. That could be problematic if we wanted to drive a significant distance the following day.

Obviously, buying an i makes no economic sense for us, but I'd like to support the EV industry as I did the hybrid car industry when I bought a Honda Insight in 2002. Am I crazy to consider buying an i when I don't know whether I'll ever be able to charge it where I live?

Yes,,,but seriously, why not buy another hybrid? That supports electric transportation.

There have got to be some other options for you at your condo Art . . . . other than paying $10K+ for a permanent L2 outlet for your car - I would explore those before I made a decision one way or the other

Since you say you don't drive all that much, you really don't need an L2 outlet anyway - There are plenty of people here who use only L1 charging for their car, especially if they don't need the car for extended periods, such as overnight. You can put a 50% charge into the car in less than 12 hours using only the EVSE that comes with the car . . . . sometimes we use the car for 2 or 3 days just to get it down to the 50% mark so we can plug it in overnight

Check to see if there's a 120 volt outlet anywhere in the parking area you could use. The factory supplied level 1 EVSE draws only 8 amps from whatever outlet you plug it into, so it would be perfectly safe to use that in combination with a 100 foot, 12 gauge extension cord - Mitsubishi does not recommend doing this (just as they don't recommend towing a trailer with the car) but I'm sure this is just for liability reasons. Electrically, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using any 8 amp device on 100 feet of 12 gauge wire . . . . if they ran a permanent fixed 120 volt outlet direct to your parking stall, it would also use 12 gauge wire

This way, you could make the best use of any local opportunity charging stations whenever possible, but you would know that should you need to make a max range trip in the car the next day, you could use your charger and the cord overnight to ensure you had a 100% charge when you leave home

Don't give up on the idea of an EV until you've thoroughly explored *every* option

Don

Don said:
There have got to be some other options for you at your condo Art . . . . other than paying $10K+ for a permanent L2 outlet for your car - I would explore those before I made a decision one way or the other
Unfortunately, I won't be in Honolulu to explore the other possibilities in person until 29 December.

Don said:
Check to see if there's a 120 volt outlet anywhere in the parking area you could use.
There is a 120 v. outlet that I used (surreptitiously) when I wanted to vacuum the carpets of my Insight. But it would not be possible to run an extension cord from this outlet to my parking stall because it would cross the parking garage driving lanes.

I know that the building developer rents several parking stalls to which an extension cord could be run from a 120 v. outlet. If one of these is or becomes available, I could rent it and then try to rent mine to someone else in hopes of offsetting the rental cost. But to do so, I would have to get permission from the condo association to use the outlet to charge my car. That won't be easy. As a condition of installing power in my parking stall, I would have been required to buy liability insurance to cover any damage that might have resulted from the use of that electrical power. They will be worried that my charging using their 120 v. outlet would potentially cause a fire for which they might be held liable, I'm sure. It's so easy for them to say, "no", when one is only one of over 700 condo owners.

The condo association would not want one owner to be using electricity paid for by all owners. They were going to require me to connect my parking stall electrical circuit to their submetering system at a cost of several thousand dollars. I would be charged $5/month to read the submeter even when I was away in Sweden for half each year. This is just crazy when considering how little electricity I would likely use.

I know that in some areas of the world, homeowners read and report their electrical usage instead of an electrical utility meter reader doing so each month. The utility company sends a meter reader out maybe once each year to insure that the homeowner is correctly reporting the electricity usage. I'm sure that a similar arrangement could be made in my case but with a meter installed in my stall rather than connected to the existing submetering system. That would cost far less, but it would be different from all other owners, so it would again be easy to say, "no".

Don said:
Don't give up on the idea of an EV until you've thoroughly explored *every* option
I'm not. I really need to be there to lobby for a reasonable solution. But by the time I get there, the one i that's available for a good price might not be available at the only dealer where a Hawaii resident can purchase an i. So I'm feeling some pressure to decide before I know my charging options. We will be in Honolulu for only 4 months, so it is unlikely that any convenient charging solution will have been implemented prior to our departure. When we return in fall, 2013, a convenient charging option might have been implemented, but will a reasonably-priced i or EV of any kind be available at that time?

I kind of like the idea of the Mitsubishi dealer meeting us at the Honolulu airport when we arrive around noon on Saturday, 29 December, driving us to a branch of our bank near the dealership that happens to be open on Saturday afternoon, buying the necessary cashier's cheque to complete an i purchase, and then driving to our condo in a new i with little idea how easy it will be to charge it. There's something about the challenge of all this that appeals to me (including being able to take advantage of the 2012 Federal tax credit for an EV purchase :)

Back