Wait for the Gen 2 Mitsubishi i?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchell

Any thoughts on waiting for the next generation Mitsubishi i-Miev? That would give Mitsubishi a chance to work out the kinks, and probably give battery manufacturers a chance to create a battery that could perhaps double the range of the current Mitsubishi i-miev?

That's the way it is with everything - think iPhone. They keep releasing new versions, but people still keep upgrading to the newest version and dumping their slightly used older version.

If the Mitsubishi i-miev has a version 2 that is way better, people who liked the 2012 Mitsubishi i will dump it and buy the version 2 of the Mitsubishi i-Miev. Either way, the cost probably won't be a lot cheaper since there will be a bunch of people interested in buying it. Plus, who knows how many years you'd have to keep driving your gasoline car just to wait for a better version of the Mitsubishi i Electric Vehicle to become available!

I read an article explaining this thinking (only with the Leaf, not the i) , and he worked out that it'd be cheaper to buy a Leaf and trade it in 3 years for a new one than it would be to lease one for 3 years.
That's my plan, personally. I plan on having the Gen 1 for several years, then trade it for a Gen 2.

I like the new Mitsubishi i MiEV SPORT 4WD electric concept car. I live in Wisconsin and we get a lot of snow. Lease may be a good idea for the Mitsubishi i. I'm not getting much of a credit ($7500) off the cost.

The reason I chose the iMiEV over the Leaf is simply that it is smaller and more efficient than the Leaf. I don't dare wait, as the next versions will undoubtedly be larger. As it is, Mitsubishi caved in to the belief that all Americans are fat and widened the iMiEV especially for us - dang, at least they could have made the rear seat center cushy and put in a third belt for that occasional need. What I'd really like is a small very aerodynamic lightweight vehicle - the aerodynamics is what can dramatically improve range at highway speeds. Sadly, I see nothing on the horizon - I had even been willing to live with Aptera's large footprint…

personally i'm pleased as punch with the current 'i', after driving mine for a couple weeks. The main thing for me was getting all the federal and Hawaii tax incentives, which may not all be continued.

There are two suggestions for Version 2, that I would make however: (1) put the P,R,N,D,ECO,B lettering on the LEFT side of the shift knob, and make them lighted, so you don't have to turn on the map light at night to figure out which gear you're in. (2) Quadrouple the size of the windshield washer tank, since there's so much room under the hood anyway. Other than that, I absolutely LOVE the car as it is. Hopefully it'll be the last car I own!

rickmaz said:
put the P,R,N,D,ECO,B lettering on the LEFT side of the shift knob, and make them lighted, so you don't have to turn on the map light at night to figure out which gear you're in.

rickmaz, there is also the gear select dial on the instrument panel beside the fuel gauge that lets you know what gear you are in.

Back