CGauer

Should I buy a 2010-2011 i-Miev here in Brazil???

Thu May 31, 2018 4:17 am

Hey guys, first post!

I just stumbled on a 2010 iMiev for sale with just 7000km (4k ish miles).

This was a internal Mitsubishi car used solely for events, press and also driven by the former president of Brazil, yep Lula...

90 day warranty! Yep!

Would you buy it?
What should I look for?
What is the impact of letting it plugged over tha last 8 ( lithium hates 100% soc)?
A place I could source parts in US? I.e. single cells, brake pads, bushes, struts, etc...
Is the workshop manual available?
Besides the MUT3, any other scanner I could use?
In case something pops, do you guys have a place to go for 2nd hand parts?

Too many questions... rsrs

Best regards from São Paulo

Clemente
Last edited by CGauer on Thu May 31, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiev

Re: Should I buy a 2010-2011 i-Miev here in Brazil???

Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 am

Howdy Clemente,

They are a lot of fun to drive, so that is a good reason to but it.

But it would be good to first know the condition of the energy storage battery pack, either from a service dealer's check/scan with the MUT tool, or using an OBDLink scantool.net dongle and the Canion app on an android phone or tablet, or the apple version for iphones, or using the iCarsoft 909 scanner. Lithium cells are robust--they are either good or bad, so leaving it plugged in for 8 years shouldn't be a problem. The cell voltage scan of all the cells will tell the story you need to decide.

The only replacement parts are rubber: tires and wipers . Maybe the cabin air filter.

Anything else that breaks will be expensive and likely need dealer service, e.g. A/C compressor, charger, motor controller, unless you are good at electronics and electrical repairs. So far only a few folks have reported any failures, so most of us have a positive attitude about the cars.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

bradleydavidgood777

Thu May 31, 2018 6:11 am

Are the main batteries still under warrenty? Are there Mitsu dealers there?
Does it have a quick charge port? If not thats a big down side to me. This lets you charge 80% in 20-30 minutes.
It's a great car - I love it. If you are into simple things that work and are inexpensive.
2017 I-Miev

CGauer

Thu May 31, 2018 9:01 am

Hey @kiev , hey @bradleydavidgood777,

I do have the 90day warranty, just... So, this is it.

If it went south, busted cell, I do have the plan to sell the bits and use the remaining cells for an off grid solar project, so, still relative a good deal. ± USD 15k, which for this country is almost a bargain.

Good to be part of the group.

See you folks around!

Clemente

JoeS
Site Moderator

Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 am

Hello Clemente, and welcome to the forum. Exciting that there is an i-MiEV in Brazil and you might actually be able to get one!

Before you buy, the most important aspect will be to assess the condition of the battery - specifically,

1. The overall capacity of the pack
2. The relative charge level of all the individual 88 cells inside the pack

kiev mentioned a number of alternatives. Perhaps your simplest and least-expensive option os to obtain a bluetooth OBDII adapter from https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/, either an LX or MX (must be a genuine OBDLink and not an imitation) and an app called CaniOn for an Android phone or tablet https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion&hl=en_US.

This CaniOn app will provide -

1. A battery capacity reading in ampere-hours (Ah), which, in your case, anything over about 35Ah would be a good reading. The maximum of a new battery pack is around 45Ah.
2. A graphical display of the instantaneous voltage of each of the 88 cells within the battery pack. The voltage itself is not important, but what you would be looking for is one or more cells that are significantly lower than all the others. Significantly lower meaning a number larger than about 0.15 volts. If you get to that point be sure to take a screenshot or photo of that screen and post it here so we can discuss it.

As far as spare and repair parts are concerned, most of us have not had a single issue with the car but recognize that parts are both difficult to obtain and expensive. With a 90-day warranty I would expect any problems to show up immediately and would hopefully be taken care of by Mitsubishi. With that low a mileage, nothing would be worn out on the car at all!

Regarding price, I hope it is reasonable - compared to other EVs or purchasing a used i-MiEV overseas and having it shipped to you.

Hopefully this will allow you to make an informed decision. Good luck, and do let us know how things turn out for you.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

CGauer

Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 am

Joe,

this is excellent!

I'll be getting the OBDLink MX, the WiFi one. Will it work with Canion too ou just BT ones? WiFi because it also works with iOS devices, handy for my Subaru Forester...

Is there a Canion equivalent for iOS? I'm an Apple Systems Engineer, can't be caught using Android! :D

I do have other cars in case this one decides to let me down, but apparently the battery is pretty durable (longevity/chemistry wise), unless a cell decides to go bonkers..

I'll keep you posted.

I should be receiving the car in about two weeks for inspection.

Kindest regards

Clemente

JoeS wrote:Hello Clemente, and welcome to the forum. Exciting that there is an i-MiEV in Brazil and you might actually be able to get one!

Before you buy, the most important aspect will be to assess the condition of the battery - specifically,

1. The overall capacity of the pack
2. The relative charge level of all the individual 88 cells inside the pack

kiev mentioned a number of alternatives. Perhaps your simplest and least-expensive option os to obtain a bluetooth OBDII adapter from https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/, either an LX or MX (must be a genuine OBDLink and not an imitation) and an app called CaniOn for an Android phone or tablet https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion&hl=en_US.

This CaniOn app will provide -

1. A battery capacity reading in ampere-hours (Ah), which, in your case, anything over about 35Ah would be a good reading. The maximum of a new battery pack is around 45Ah.
2. A graphical display of the instantaneous voltage of each of the 88 cells within the battery pack. The voltage itself is not important, but what you would be looking for is one or more cells that are significantly lower than all the others. Significantly lower meaning a number larger than about 0.15 volts. If you get to that point be sure to take a screenshot or photo of that screen and post it here so we can discuss it.

As far as spare and repair parts are concerned, most of us have not had a single issue with the car but recognize that parts are both difficult to obtain and expensive. With a 90-day warranty I would expect any problems to show up immediately and would hopefully be taken care of by Mitsubishi. With that low a mileage, nothing would be worn out on the car at all!

Regarding price, I hope it is reasonable - compared to other EVs or purchasing a used i-MiEV overseas and having it shipped to you.

Hopefully this will allow you to make an informed decision. Good luck, and do let us know how things turn out for you.

Don
Site Moderator

Thu May 31, 2018 2:53 pm

CGauer wrote:Is there a Canion equivalent for iOS? I'm an Apple Systems Engineer, can't be caught using Android! :D
Nope, there isn't - Do it hiding in your garage after dark and hopefully nobody will notice :lol:

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

JoeS
Site Moderator

Thu May 31, 2018 7:13 pm

As a lifelong Apple supporter (still have my 1984 512K Classic Mac), I sympathize. There is an app that runs on iOS called EVBatMon
http://evpositive.com/ios-apps.html
It does provide battery capacity in Ah and some cell min/max information, but without the view of all 88 cells that CaniOn shows.
Perhaps good enough for your purposes.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Phximiev

Thu May 31, 2018 8:35 pm

JoeS wrote:As a lifelong Apple supporter (still have my 1984 512K Classic Mac), I sympathize.

Dang, I had one of those also. Upgraded the memory to 1M and added a 20 MB hard drive, thought I had the King. Used it extensively from 1985 through 1994 or so.

Now we have iMacs, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhones, ho hum...
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

CGauer

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:58 am

Amazing!

I'm a also a computer collector/accumulator. Apple Quadras, Apple II, Mac 128, Portable, etc... Good old times, all repairable, durable and playful.

Best

Clemente

JoeS wrote:As a lifelong Apple supporter (still have my 1984 512K Classic Mac), I sympathize. There is an app that runs on iOS called EVBatMon
http://evpositive.com/ios-apps.html
It does provide battery capacity in Ah and some cell min/max information, but without the view of all 88 cells that CaniOn shows.
Perhaps good enough for your purposes.

Return to “Buying/Leasing the iMiev”