Questions about the audio system

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanSolo

I test drove an SE with the 360 Watt/8 speaker non-Nav audio and I thought it sounded fine, but I was wondering how the 100 Watt/4 speaker (front speakers only) system sounds in the ES.

Also wondering if the rear speaker wires are in the ES and rear speakers could be added later.

What about radio station presets? Normally an audio system has 6 buttons or so to get to preset stations. I saw that the audio system does have a "memory" button. Does that scroll through presets?

I wish the owner's manual was online. I'd love to read one.

Hi Sean,

I am not an audiophile, so I can tell you that the sound system in the ES sounds fine, but don't take my word for it (a kazoo sounds fine to me!).

Regarding the radio in the ES, it has one preset list for AM and two for FM, each with six presets that you can scroll through by scrolling up or down (so you can scroll up one from #1 to get to #6, you don't have to scroll down five).

Jenn

I don't know if the wiring is there or not for the rear speakers. I bought the ES because i figured i could put a media deck in the car with some good speakers for less then SE upgrade cost and the Navi package.

I purchased an ES with the usb option, somehow thinking that the usb would be stereo input as it is on the SE. But it is only power - no play, no bluetooth. So I called our local aftermarket stereo installer and he says he can probably get the SE dash bezel and simply replace the ES stereo with something that has the bells & whistles that I want. So for a fraction of the difference in cost between the ES & SE, I get the SE bezel and the media center of my choice. I don't know about rear speakers.

Very disappointing about the ES USB. I figured my iPod would work - I guess not. Yeah, certainly not worth the extra $$ just to have that on the SE. Let me know if you do get the aftermarket stereo. I'd love to see photos.

I'm confused by your post dumemama. what does the usb port do if it doesn't give an audio connection for an ipod? Are you sure it was correctly assembled? I just ordered an ES with the $175 optional USB port expecting to be able to play my ipod.

Edit: just found this online, a reseller describes the usb kit as: "Plug in to listen to your MP3 play list directly from your vehicle's factory sound system." Here's the link:

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/mits...iev-usb-audio-cable-kit-accessories-shop.html

tonymil said:
I'm confused by your post dumemama. what does the usb port do if it doesn't give an audio connection for an ipod? Are you sure it was correctly assembled? I just ordered an ES with the $175 optional USB port expecting to be able to play my ipod.

As far as I can tell, my usb port provides power only... which of course I could have gotten for $5 using a cigarette lighter adapter. I hope that I'm wrong. The manual only describes playing usb devices via the FUSE hands-free link system... which is only available on the SE premium. I have not exhaustively tinkered with my ES audio system. But there is no obvious way to select input from USB and no instructions in the manual. The i.mitsubishicars.com web site options list describes the usb option as, "Plug in to listen to your MP3 play list directly from your vehicle's factory sound system."

My car is back at the dealer for my wrap, so I'll follow-up with them. I'm not happy about $145 for power only when I thought I was buying playback.

SeanSolo said:
I figured my iPod would work - I guess not. Yeah, certainly not worth the extra $$ just to have that on the SE. Let me know if you do get the aftermarket stereo. I'd love to see photos.
I don't think the upgraded stereo was the primary reason many of us chose the SE over the ES, although the 360 watt, 8 speaker sound system does sound really good. For me, it was the alloy wheels and the driving/fog lights as well as the upgraded interior trim and finish. I added up what it would cost me to make an ES into the car I really wanted and found the SE did all that for less $$$

I can't imagine that the USB option doesn't give you audio playback capability on the ES like it does on the SE though - If all it did was charge your cel phone, Mitsu likely wouldn't have offered it as a $175 upgrade for the ES . . . . it would get them way too many irate customers to be worth it in the long run

Don

my ES has the USB port and it does charge the phone or get music off it i just plug a 16g usb stick into it with music and i am off and running for the time being. I bout the foglights as a option and i will upgrade the radio sometime soon when they start to make double din dash kits for the car.

I wonder if the SE with the USB cable (but not the FUSE,) can play an iPhone. Really, that is the main reason I'm leaning toward an SE over an ES. (Fog kit can be added later to ES, same with the wheels. Both, plus an after-market system can be done for less then 2 large.)

YES. I have an ES with the USB option and finally got iPhone and iPod to play. It's not intuitive or documented that I could find, but you have to push the CD selector button to select CD mode, then touch it again to cycle to USB input mode on the stereo. Then, not all USB cables work. You need a real/full iThing cable. Apparently a few I have are power only. The stereo then will access your playlist and you can cycle through tracks from the buttons on the stereo console. Track info also displays on the LCD and you can use the menu button on the stereo to display the album, artist, and title of the playing track. No Bluetooth. Looking at a Parrot.

Re rear speakers. They are indeed non-existent in the ES. However, the grill is in the rear doors and the stereo seems ready to accommodate as the menu accesses fader which can be set to rear. I was unable to confirm pre-wiring as the door panel required more force to remove than I was willing to apply. However, I did pull off the boot between the door and frame and confirmed plenty of wires going to the door to support stereo, i.e., more than 4 total wires going to the rear doors.

Logandzwon said:
I wonder if the SE with the USB cable (but not the FUSE,) can play an iPhone. Really, that is the main reason I'm leaning toward an SE over an ES. (Fog kit can be added later to ES, same with the wheels. Both, plus an after-market system can be done for less then 2 large.)

I've been going through all the material I received with my MiEV and I found instructions for using the usb adapter kit. It has one set of instructions specific to the ipod and another set of instructions for other "memory devices". So I think you should be able to play music from your iphone.

I play audio from my iPhone fine with the ES stereo set to USB.
The speakers get a bit buzzy with bass turned up only a notch or two...
Glad to hear that rear speakers should be a simple add-in. I've got panel removal tools and a few different sizes of spare speaker, so will try to take a look soon.

Last night I found this pamphlet among all the paperwork I received from the Mitsubishi Dealership. It's the instructions for the USB adapter. The controls are not intuitive at all, but the good news for ipod owners is you can select the music from the ipod itself before connecting and then once you connect it just starts playing. And there is a way to shuffle songs. I have to say the base stereo system is really good. All four speakers are in front and the sound comes right at you.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BynTUBJU4BATRldGQm5rYUVGb0U

Tony

Excellent to read. Thanks for the reports. If I do get one, it would be the ES. Thank you also for posting the pamphlet about the adapter. Glad the four speakers sound good.

Back