Considering a 2014

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsheep

My local mitsubishi dealer, who is not currently an I-miev certified dealer has one on the lot. I have driven it twice and I find it charming. I am thinking of scheduling an extended test drive to take it to work for a day.

http://www.porcaromitsubishi.com/us...i-i-MiEV-247399980a0e0adf16a64d1f7b88de3d.htm

Super Low mIles (1950). Has had the front bumper replaced and there is a dink in the bonnet. Clean inside.

My daily commute is 40 miles round trip, in Wisconsin. Should I be having range concerns... will I make these round trips with the heat on? What about 5 years from now?

Does the USB to stereo connection work with Android Phones? This is actually a big deal to me as I use my phone for all of my audio (podcasts and audible)

I am going to keep cruising around these forums, but is there anything else I should know? Be wary of?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Does your commute include highway driving, or is it mostly main roads? 40 miles should be pretty doable year-round if you stay off the highway. Even more so if you have workplace charging available.

My older Android phone shows up as a flash drive. However, it is possible to add an Auxiliary input to the radio rather easily if that doesn't work for what you need.

Rather few 2014 models out there. I think most of what you'll find here is specific to the 2012 models, but not much has changed between the two.

Hi drsheep, welcome to the forum.

I entered this vehicle's VIN just to verify a few things (e.g., the CHAdeMO DCQC port was standard), and here's the full Monroney sticker information:

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/rs/file/monroney?vin=JA3215H46EU024960

It shows that the car came with the $135 accessory USB adapter. Sorry, can't help you about Android phone to stereo compatibility. If you go for a test ride, be sure to try it out as that USB may only be a charging port.

I agree with PV1 that a 40-mile round-trip commute should be no problem, with mid-winter operation possibly being marginal. Pre-heating the car (using the Remote) before you leave home (while it's still plugged in) gives you a great head-start without using the battery and feels soooo nice on cool mornings. If you have the ability to plug into an ordinary 120vac wall socket at work then you will definitely have no range issues at all.

Be sure that a Remote is included with the purchase, as that's a $1000 replacement cost gadget.

That price is a bit on the high side, but, after all, it is a 2014 and there are very few of them around. Ridiculously low mileage means just about zero wear on everything. As for the battery, it all depends at what charge level the car was stored (for example, storing at 100% SoC in hot weather is not healthy). The good news is that it has 8 years left on the battery warranty, and Mitsubishi is very good about battery replacement for outright failures, which are relatively rare.

Do go for a test drive and let us know if you have any more specific questions. Good luck and enjoy your test drive - careful, you might get hooked!

Still Considering a Miev. The 2014 I posted above is still available, but this came up on craigslist. Which is the better way to go? What price should I be pushing for on either of them. I don't think the dealer is getting much love on the '14 around here so I bet I can get it at $9K. I would want to get the '12 for $5,500?

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/6052471593.html

Both have CHAdeMO, and are otherwise identical except for color and nav.

By now, though, even the 2014 models are out of vehicle warranty, but the powertrain and battery warranty will be around longer than the '12. The '14 definitely has the improved cells in the battery, where the 2012 may not. I've also heard slight mention to fit and finish being better in the 2014.

Ultimately, it comes down to color preference, price point, and the gamble on the 2012's battery health. Personally, at this point, I'd spend the extra on the 2014.

I agree. $9K is a good price for the '14 with so few miles and it would be less of a gamble than the '12 I think. Warning: - If you go drive it a bit more, it will sell itself to you pretty quickly, so be careful if you've not made up your mind yet! :lol:

Or . . . . you could always offer him $8K and then turn and leave if he refuses - As you said, he's not had many serious offers yet, so it's worth a shot. If he really wants to move it, you might get a bargain :D

Don

Go for it, DrSheep! Lately I've been feeling a bit smug, approaching 70k miles on the clock with full advertised range available, while wilting LEAFs with half the miles are delivering fewer miles and yet can't use the moderately expanded Nissan battery warranty.
I dunno if you're a vet, or a sheep farmer, or just sheepish... :roll: but my Vet loves the i-MiEV so much that she convinced her boss the Vet to buy one.

for what its worth, I'd go for the white one over the black. My parents IMIEV is black, and it always looks filthy and the richness of the black colour isn't up to prestige standards. My silver one, and other white ones around seem to be far easier to keep clean and maintain the paintwork... my 2c.

Yeah, offer the dealer $8.5, and then bargain and grab it... I think that would be a good deal with 2K miles on the clock, its practically brand new.

Here in Canada, we had quite a few AC units fail on the 2012 models , my 2012 included ,
they are expensive to replace.
On our 2014 model thy have changed the AC unit for a different model, at 55,ooo miles, 110,000 km no problems

Back