Test drove an i - question about the back seat

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanSolo

I test drove an i last week. I really liked it and I think it might be just right for me. I have a very short commute (5-6 miles round trip) and my wife has a Civic we could use for longer trips. I think I would also qualify for the full tax rebate (or most of it). I loved that the i is so basic. With such a short commute, what the heck do I need with all the whiz-bang features on most new cars? Just give me a place to plug in my iPod and I'm fine. Even after adding in the cost of a home charger and tax, it seems I could have an i for about 25-26K. That seems doable. LEAF, Fit EV, and Electric Focus are all way too expensive for me. I also liked the lower back support in the i. For every other car I've driven, I've had to use a back pillow for more support. I don't think I'd need that in the i.

Question for those who have one: The back seat cushion (the seat part, not the seat-back) in the one i drove was loose. I mean it was moving all over the place, like a cushion on a wooden rocking chair. I asked the salesperson about it and he thought that was how it was supposed to be. I hope not. I'm hoping it has some kind of a latch to lock it down. I didn't have time to really get in there to look at how it was in there. So, does the back seat cushion latch into place? Seems pretty odd if it doesn't.

Also, I was thrilled with the headroom. The Mitsu site lists it as 35.6", but it's got to be higher than that. I sat in an IQ that is listed at 37.7" and my head hit the roof. I'm 6' 1''. The i reminded me of the cathedral-like Fit.

I don't know much about Mitsubishi, so I'm a bit concerned about reliability. I've driven Hondas since 1986, so I've always taken vehicle reliability for granted. I just wonder how reliable the i has been in other countries. I realize the i is much more maintenance free compared to an ICE, but I also read on here where it wouldn't start for someone.

Anyway, I'm excited about the i and glad I found this forum. Good reading.

Hi Sean,

I have had the back seat "seat" portion off a couple of times, and I recall that it is a little difficult to get latched back in properly. Unfortunately, I can't now recall how it latches in, only that it does. I'm sure the salesman you talked with just didn't know how to latch it down.

Jenn

Wow...I feel exactly the same as what you wrote. I also feel that for what it is, the Miev is a great value, and roomy enough. I also feel all that dashboard electronics on other EVs is hogwash...on a car that will be used for local driving. And that's where EVs are today...they are not "pile the family in and let's drive to Florida" cars.

While Mitsubishi is not exactly Toyota, they do make a lot of equipment for heavy industry and electronics. They are backing up their battery for 8 years or 100k miles, their battery, although not the largest, is a better design than anybody elses, The drive train is guaranteed for 5 or is it 6 years, so in my mind it is hard to go wrong. This isn't some startup company making their first production automobile. This is a company that's been around for decades making cars.

As far as that loose seat, it's not supposed to be that way. But the rear seat cushion does snap out easily for access to some of the drive components and to the tire repair kit. It probably wasn't snapped back into place properly.

SeanSolo - you expressed our sentiments towards this car very well: straightforward transportation without a lot of bells and whistles, although it does have six airbags and an interesting active stability control system. Brakes are incredibly good. Wouldn't worry about reliability, as this car already has an established track record and a decent warranty. That rear cushion just needed to be snapped in. The car's seat height with respect to the ground makes it particularly easy to get in and out of. Before you splurge for a home charger, read up on some of the comments on both this website and the Nissan Leaf one. Unless your wife has lots of long drives, the iMiEV will quickly become your family's primary car and your Civic will stay in the garage and you'll be riding a bike to work... :roll:

SeanSolo-
The back seat bottom should not be loose. Most likely scenario is someone had removed it to show where the tire repair kit is at the dealership. The sales person shouldhave had someone more technical look at it to verify your issue.

To reinstall the cushion/seat bottom, slide the two pointed wire guides toward the rear of the vehicle and under the seat backs. Don't forget to make sure the seat belt clasps are on top of the cushion. Push rearward then downwards until the two tabs under the leading edge of the seat bottom locks into slots in the floor off the vehicle. It's super simple.

Thank you all for the feedback and the details about the seat.

I have walked my commute before. It takes about 40 minutes, which is fine. I'm just not a fan of getting to work and needing a shower when it's hot out. Biking is not really an option safety-wise as the route I'd have to take is not at all bike-friendly. I'm also considering a Prius C, but from what I've read, even the best hybrids don't seem to do all that well MPG-wise with very short, stop-and-go commutes. My 1998 Civic gets about 19-22 MPG for my commute (tracking it since 2001), even though most with more mixed driving get closer to 30. I used to get around 28 when I was doing more mixed driving years ago. Not sure if my wife will like the lower back support of the i. She can't drive my car with the back pillow in place. Need to get her out there for a test drive as well. Anyway, the i seems like it might be a good choice for me. Thanks again.

Sean

SeanSolo said:
Thank you all for the feedback and the details about the seat.

I have walked my commute before. It takes about 40 minutes, which is fine. I'm just not a fan of getting to work and needing a shower when it's hot out. Biking is not really an option safety-wise as the route I'd have to take is not at all bike-friendly. I'm also considering a Prius C, but from what I've read, even the best hybrids don't seem to do all that well MPG-wise with very short, stop-and-go commutes. My 1998 Civic gets about 19-22 MPG for my commute (tracking it since 2001), even though most with more mixed driving get closer to 30. I used to get around 28 when I was doing more mixed driving years ago. Not sure if my wife will like the lower back support of the i. She can't drive my car with the back pillow in place. Need to get her out there for a test drive as well. Anyway, the i seems like it might be a good choice for me. Thanks again.

Sean
I also have a very short commute to work...about two miles. My lifetime Prius Gen3 mpg is about 52 from the display. In two and a half years, I have put 19k miles on that car, so it's not all just driving to work. If you are only going to do a two mile commute to work, then get a non-hybrid, but if you are going to use it for other things, like I do, you should be fine.

Hi Sean,
If you daily mileage average is that small, then Level II charging might not be a worthwhile investment at this time. Even the measly 8 amp OEM charger refills my 16 mile commute before lunchtime..
You'll enjoy the i. I think it's a modern successor to the original Beetle- underpromise and overdeliver.

Back