What's everybody paying?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjpod

Are people paying MSRP? Any dealers doing ad-ons...or discounting?

What has been your experience? Which way do you think iMiev prices are headed...in the Northeast?

Up until the last 2 months dealers were charging MSRP, and in a few cases more, for the i. Recently I've seen several dealers discounting the car from $600 to over $1100 off MSRP. I use Autotrader.com to check on prices and the number of i's available. There are 6 used i's already (4 on autotrader, 1 on ebay and 1 by a member of this forum) for sale.

Sales have been lackluster with the best month being December with 76 (March had 56). My car is scheduled for delivery in mid-June and I will not pay MSRP when it finally (ordered in January) arrives. My dealer (only one in WI) is not local for me and they are aware that other i dealers in IL are discounting the car. I would like to lease, but as of April 1st Mitsubishi is still not providing retail leasing data on the i.

I think the price on the i will come down in the next few months if sales do not improve. If need be I will wait a few months to see what happens. The odds of the i being priced more than MSRP are slim.

I paid MSRP at Younker Mitsubishi in Renton, Washington. I had ordered a car but the next showroom vehicle delivered also had the CHAdeMO quick charge port I'd wanted and was an ES model. It didn't have the USB port installed and the dealer wanted to charge me for installation so I'll probably have that done after-market somewhere or do it myself.

I really don't see the point of paying thousands more for a navigation system in an EV that lists gas stations as relevant points of interest but doesn't show charging stations. My cell phone does a much better job as a navigation system: voice control is where it's at.

leec said:
I paid MSRP at Younker Mitsubishi in Renton, Washington. I had ordered a car but the next showroom vehicle delivered also had the CHAdeMO quick charge port I'd wanted and was an ES model. It didn't have the USB port installed and the dealer wanted to charge me for installation so I'll probably have that done after-market somewhere or do it myself.

I really don't see the point of paying thousands more for a navigation system in an EV that lists gas stations as relevant points of interest but doesn't show charging stations. My cell phone does a much better job as a navigation system: voice control is where it's at.
Yeah, I don't see the point of nav in a car that you are not going to drive more than 35 miles in one direction before heading back.

I"ve been to two dealers, one in NY, and one in NJ and they are not moving from MSRP. They act like they are the ones giving you the federal tax credit.

Anybody else?

For fjpod or anyone on the east coast looking for an i:

A Mitsubishi dealer in New Britain Connecticut has a new raspberry i ES listed on E-bay (#160788258740) with a current high bid of $5,000 and a buy it now price of $28,600. The buy it now price is $1,375 below MSRP.

The dealer has 3 ES and 1 SE in stock. Contacting them direct and they may be willing to deal on one of their other in stock i.

jennrod12 said:
Leec,

What cellphone nav system do you use?

Thanks!

Jenn

I use an Android phone with voice commands and synthesized speech for directions. Being able to tap a button and say "navigate to such-and-such" is so much nicer and safer than tapping in addresses on a soft keyboard or fiddling with a tiny UI. On my other car I have a Bluetooth receiver that plugs into the stereo's aux input. I haven't looked yet, but maybe the MiEV has an aux on it's stereo, too.

Oh, the phone is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the GSM version.

archie_b said:
For fjpod or anyone on the east coast looking for an i:

A Mitsubishi dealer in New Britain Connecticut has a new raspberry i ES listed on E-bay (#160788258740) with a current high bid of $5,000 and a buy it now price of $28,600. The buy it now price is $1,375 below MSRP.

The dealer has 3 ES and 1 SE in stock. Contacting them direct and they may be willing to deal on one of their other in stock i.
Thanks for the headsup...now if I can convince the wife that we NEED this car...

How the heck would I get it home from there?

Pick it up over a weekend and drive it back in stages. Check out hotels that will let you plug in overnight and resturants that will let you plug in while eating. I don't know exactly where you are located, but New Britan to the New York metro area is about 110 miles.

Take the scenic route, drive 55mph or less, plug in while eating enroute and you can easily make it in two days. Pay for the cost of the mini-vacation out of your MSRP savings and have fun while doing it.

archie_b said:
Pick it up over a weekend and drive it back in stages. Check out hotels that will let you plug in overnight and resturants that will let you plug in while eating. I don't know exactly where you are located, but New Britan to the New York metro area is about 110 miles.

Take the scenic route, drive 55mph or less, plug in while eating enroute and you can easily make it in two days. Pay for the cost of the mini-vacation out of your MSRP savings and have fun while doing it.
LOL...sounds like a nice idea. Could really use the break.

Ebay now has two i for sale: 1 new on the east coast (160788258740) and 1 used on the west coast (120904206077).

The west coast i is a used SE with the premium package and 1,345 miles. It has a buy it now price of $24,500 which is a little more than $2,700 less than MSRP after the tax credit. The seller will also consider offers. If you were successful with an offer of say $23,500 you would save $3,700 off of MSRP and save a significant amount of sales tax (tax on $23,500 versus $34,765). If you can get it for even less, you could end up with an SE with the premium package for about the same price as an ES with no options, and not have to wait for the tax credit.

Well, if someone would sell one for the right price close to SoFla they'd have a deal. My SE is still on the assembly line.

At lest it seems the longer I have to wait to lower the price is going. :?

I paid msrp for mine and he worked a deal on the fog lights but really dealers are not making much money on these cars.

I have a feeling things in the EV market are going to change quickly. Within two years, there will be closer to a dozen different choices. (I don't really count Tesla, fisker, because they are not for the masses).

A dealer I walked away from a week or so ago called me back hinting of a discount. He was firm on MSRP.

Up here in Everett WA I picked up my SE for $1000 under MSRP. The dealer had 6 of them that weren't moving, including my pre-order SE model. I think they had a few pre-orderrs form customer that were not ready to buy. I wasn't ready to purchase my pre-order but they ordered it anyway. I was waiting for the quick charge port option but decided that for $1000 under MSRP I could live without.

There are several iphones apps that help locate all the available chargers in your area or on your route.

Plugshare, EVCharger, Charge Point and Recargo. All apps were free.

Plugshare will even show you EV owners that will let you use their home chargers.

Maybe the same apps are available for Android and Microsoft phones?

Nissan and Chevy dealers should have level 2 chargers outside in front of there showrooms.

The SOC gauge shows 16 bars. 8/9 hours of charge from full empty to full charge. Charging occurs faster when batteries are partially empty. Rough estimate would be 1-2 bars with 1/2 hr of charge time on a level 2 EVSE.

I have my car on order for a late June delivery. My dealer told me they lost a sale of the I to a Volt owner because he did not think they were offering him enough for his Volt. He went to the other dealer in town and traded in his Volt there.

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought one today. A raspberry ES with chaedemo for $1250 under MSRP. Took it right off the dealer floor.

Back