i-bargains

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

I hesitate to be a spoiler of someone's careful market research, so will post the question: would you appreciate leads on attractive purchase opportunities to be posted here?

Case in point: a silver 2012 base model was just traded in at our local KIA dealer, and it's in rough shape cosmetically (DIY black primer on the front fascia, no other apparent issues). The dealer sent it straight to wholesale, so a bargain i-MiEV will be appearing soon in the Seattle area.

On the other hand, if I were bidding on EBay or calling Craigslisters, I'd hate for some do-gooder to tell the world about my pending purchase. What's the consensus of our members?

I agree - I think it's our 'duty' to help find used iMiEV's a good home . . . . and if it saves someone here a bundle, so much the better!

IMO, we should have had a separate forum for this a long time ago

Don

Although a CraigsList search in the SF Bay Area usually results in a few hits (I search for "miev"), I've now come to appreciate how rare the i-MiEV is in the rest of the country. Sure, if we can provide leads I see no harm in such postings. The title is "i-Bargains", so none of the present SF Bay CraigsList offerings (at $7900+) qualifies, IMO.

When did all those i-MiEVs hit the lots (TWO in Confluence, PA?!)? For a relatively rare car, they sure do get around.

This is a first for an ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Mitsubishi-i-car-turbo-petrol-auto-5door-1-year-MOT-30tax-2CARS-/112105276714?hash=item1a19fec52a:g:mdoAAOSwV0RXuwwX

Probably worth it for the bodywork!

The PA car on Facebook by Ben Nelson: https://www.facebook.com/ben.nelson.52493/posts/10157492433510165

The fellow who gave me a flat-bed tow today told me he recently hauled a load with a dozen mievs from Orlando to a dealer in Nashville. He works for a long distance hauler and they also have a contract to haul for some of the insurance auctions. His most frequent runs are from the auction yards to port cities--the wrecks are taken overseas and parted out (or repaired).

Looks like bargain prices:

http://www.markmitsubishiscottsdale.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=I-miev

This looks like a bargain also:

http://chicagofinemotors.com/2012-Mitsubishi-IMiEV/Used-Hatchback/Lyons-IL/8095480/Details.aspx

Odd that leafs are cheaper than Miev's.

Missed out on a $4500 2011 leaf :0 Still had the battery warranty even.

As to used Leafi, there are more than just a handful on the Phoenix craigslist and listed at Phoenix dealer sites around the $10k mark, but they have on average 30,000 miles or so. I saw one at $8,500 or so with 41k miles.

Lease returns I imagine. Prices and mileage are probably typical of markets elsewhere. I am not sure that one would consider any of these as "bargains", but who knows.

Phximiev said:
As to used Leafi, there are more than just a handful on the Phoenix craigslist and listed at Phoenix dealer sites around the $10k mark, but they have on average 30,000 miles or so. I saw one at $8,500 or so with 41k miles.

Lease returns I imagine. Prices and mileage are probably typical of markets elsewhere. I am not sure that one would consider any of these as "bargains", but who knows.

As strange as it sounds many people feel a low mile 9 or less bar Phoenix AZ leaf is more valuable because of the possible 30kw battery replacement (Nissan doesn't make 24kw batteries anymore)

Strange world due to battery degradation

rmay635703 said:
As strange as it sounds many people feel a low mile 9 or less bar Phoenix AZ leaf is more valuable because of the possible 30kw battery replacement (Nissan doesn't make 24kw batteries anymore)

Has there been such a replacement?

I've read of replacements for equal sizes, and due to the lawsuit, Nissan may be obligated to replace the defective batteries, but 30kw for the 24kw? If that's the case, then those particular Leafi may be more valuable. Given the progress of Nissan's efforts after the lawsuit, I imagine that we would be talking about 2011 or 2012 Leafi.

The next question is just how does one locate them on the internet without having to exhaust oneself?

rmay635703 said:

Strange indeed - A car much more prone to battery failure (especially in the HOT Phoenix area) is perceived as a 'better deal' solely because you *might* get a better battery than the one that failed???

Reminds me of an advertising blitz for Motorola TV's 35 or 40 years ago - The 'big deal' with them was "works in a drawer" so when it crapped out, the service man could fix it without even having to pull it away from the wall to get at the 'works'. They were pretty much admitting "Our TV's are crap and break all the time, but boy did we ever design them to be easy to fix!"

Don

Back