Group Purchase

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phximiev

Anyone involved in this purchase?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/2016/0810/Group-purchase-in-Montreal-signs-up-2-800-to-lower-price-of-2016-Nissan-Leaf

Anyone thought about doing a group purchase of i-Mievs for a discount? Mitsubishi, now being part of Nissan, perhaps may consider such a deal.

Interesting concept. Never thought of that.

It might be the only way to get a decent number of new i-MiEVs in the US.

The group for the Nissan purchase started on the AVEQ forums.
Last I read they had grown to around 3,500 nearing 4,000 people interested.

I participate in some of the meet and greet events that the AVEQ
(Association des Vehicles du Quebec ) organizes and often read the forum postings.

i think the idea started out targeting year end models 2016 Leafs but now, some also have interests in 2017 models.
They recently closed the list to new enrollment and are now in negotiations with Nissan. I believe Nissan is waiting for September & weighing out the situation.

This has now expanded to other groups forming as well...
Last I heard The Kia Soul ev purchase group was up to 179 people.

There was also talk of a group purchase for EVSE's for their particular models.
:)
Times they are a changing...

The legalities (e.g. in some states such as Texas, manufacturers have to sell through dealers) and politics (e.g. Mitsubishi probably already has a really fragile relationship with some of their dealers) of doing this might be difficult to do in the US.

Article and update on the Leaf Group purchase: http://cleantechnica.com/2016/08/18/nissan-leaf-group-buy-quebec-40-tesla-model-3-reservations-exclusive/

Ok, so I send my email to Mitsubishi about a group purchase and later call them and left a message again about a group purchase. This morning, a Mr. Doug Yordy, the fleet purchase manager (for North America), calls me and says the i-Miev will not be offered for sale any more in North America starting in 2017. I asked if there would be an announcement or replacement EV and he said no. He said one of the reasons for not offering it is that Mitsubishi would have to redesign the car because the US crash test requirements have changed. He didn't elaborate.

His number is 714-372-6000 if anyone would like to chat with him.

If all of this pans out, then the i-Miev is about to become a rarity.

:(

Well that sucks :cry: .

Their own fault for not marketing the i-MiEV and never making any powertrain improvements. So...group purchase on Chevy Bolt?

Talk about admitting defeat. It's amazing that the power train is really pretty impressive, the rest of the car is decent enough, but to think that you could make a success out of such a poorly executed business plan was foolish.

There was no regard to competitive pricing initially, nor was there much of a pricing strategy ever. No understanding that you have to create a lost leader before you make money, no obvious product advertising... poor.

I wonder what the loss was on each unit made- and what the reasoning behind upping the warranty from 5 to 10 years... what for if there is no plan for a replacememt.

I'll bet there is a plan, or at least was, they just have to rethink it and make something that is profitable... which should be far easier the second time round once they tooled up.

Either the story is wrong, missing a part, or there really was no business sense here and little hedging.

They still have the tools, expertinent and ability to make electric cars... maybe they understand that the imminent future is PHEV.

Where is their PHEV?

And you're right about their lack of strategy. I believe that they have the battery improvements now to double the range. After all GS YUASA is a battery tech company. Does anyone believe that haven't been making improvements to the battery capacity over the last couple of years? Look at the i3 for instance, same battery size but a measurable increase in capacity.

They have it; they're hedging for some reason.

:x

Just recently the Nissan group purchase received a response from Nissan.
In short
They politely blew off the group telling them that the AVEQ members already have a discount price structure, & to go to their local dealer where there are 100 2016 year end models available at a first come first serve basis.

What did the group expect. Nissan would never abandon or short their dealer network

More on the Canadian "NO": https://transportevolved.com/2016/08/24/president-of-nissan-canada-says-no-to-discounted-leaf-group-buy/?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=3e60628ecd-TransportEvolved_Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f4bbd3c96c-3e60628ecd-120112533

I am talking about this (quoted from the article):

"The reason? Paiva told government officials during a presentation on a proposed zero emission mandate in the province of Quebec that the existing $8,000 CAD Quebecois incentive offered to those buying an electric car already significantly discounted the electric hatchback’s sticker price."

What does the Quebecois incentive amount to and what model, make, and options does one get with the Quebecois discount?

Hopefully my question is now clearer. :mrgreen:

Back