Auction selling price thoughts...

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigger19687

So as I am looking around at Used i's and I think I may have figured something out.

I see MANY i's on dealers lots that are NOT associated with Mitsubishi.

That HAS to make you think.
Why would a Non Mitsu dealer buy a car at an Auction that they know nothing about .... Especially an EV ??!!

My only thought it that is HAS to be SO CHEAP that they feel they can't lose !

Anyone else think that?

tigger19687 said:
Why would a Non Mitsu dealer buy a car at an Auction that they know nothing about .... Especially an EV ??!!
My only thought it that is HAS to be SO CHEAP that they feel they can't lose !

Yes. Dealers always want something interesting to look at and inexpensive to put on the front row and bring in prospects. Plus, auction purchases are often a spur-of the moment thing. A buyer may start off with a well-researched list, but jump in at the last second for something cheap and shiny. When they get home and read the reviews and see the depreciation curve, it oughtta make them willing to unload it fast!
I ran cars through a used auction in the 90's ($100 plus dinner for each car that sold) and often drove home with a purchase that my boss regretted buying... He Always plowed the auction proceeds back into auction purchases. :roll:

Ok, I can understand Shiny and New, maybe a VW Jetta, but the i-MiEV ???

Most people think it is the ugliest thing out there. Even other EV drivers ! Not us i people, but Leaf and such.

You know people think the Leaf is ugly, but to me it looks like every other small car.
The i looks like a "jelly bean". It was mentioned in an article and I like that name for it :)

tigger19687 said:
Most people think it is the ugliest thing out there. Even other EV drivers ! Not us i people, but Leaf and such.
Let me get this straight - You know of a Leaf owner who has the gall to call the iMiEV 'ugly'??? I think he's just jealous! :lol:

Our $8700 2012 with 3,900 miles was bought at auction by a used car dealership not associated with any brand for about $7K because he didn't see how he could go wrong - He said it was about the price of a good golf cart and was essentially a new car. He made about $1500 on it only because it was a very low mileage SE Premium. He could not be talked below $8700 because the 'super dealership' in Bloomington Normal Illinois told him they would meet him at the Indiana/Illinois state line and take it off his hands for $8500

As to auction prices. He mentioned that our car was the first one ever seen at any of the 4 auctions he regularly attends and he got it only because nobody else was willing to bid . . . . at all. He did mention that he thought other dealers must 'have done their homework' after that first auction because later on, he saw many other iMiEV's were selling for lots more money AND they were lesser desirable cars - ES's and cars with lots more miles

Currently, I don't see anyone willing to let a low miles example with QC go for much less than $9K. Once all the QC cars are gone, the remainder may start going for less, but then I think holding our for a lesser car for less money is a bit of false economy - No matter where you live, I think the addition of QC to your car is going to (eventually) be worth a couple grand to you. I could be wrong, but even though no one in my city has yet to install a single public charging station of any kind, eventually I'm going to be very glad I held out for an SE Premium, even if it meant paying a bit more for it

Don

yeah, I was talking to a Leaf guy and he thought the i was UGLY he said. I told them they all were ugly compared to my F-350 LOL He didn't think that was funny {shrug}

I would ONLY get one with the QC, with out it, it's not worth it.

I have time to wait.
I can get a New 2016 for $20000 but I am thinking that I will see how far down I can get for a Used.
They are STILL just starting to fill Pot Holes here in New England ;) So I can wait

tigger19687 said:
Ok, I can understand Shiny and New, maybe a VW Jetta, but the i-MiEV ???
Heck yes- females call the i-MiEV cute all the time, and my Cub Scouts think it's cool, but the Boy Scouts are politely silent on the issue.... Pretty much any oddity can attract customers. Remember when shopping centers used to have captive exotic animals?
A local Ford dealer has a Model T on permanent display in their most prominent spot, and I'd swear that thing brings in more foot traffic than any new model. How many sales that translates to is another question...

jray3 said:
Pretty much any oddity can attract customers. Remember when shopping centers used to have captive exotic animals?
Considering where you're from, I can guess you're talking about Ivan, the B&I Circus Store Gorilla
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/aged-beloved-ivan-the-gorilla-from-tacoma-dies-at-atlanta-zoo/
I was stationed at McChord from '67 to '70 and saw Ivan there many times - Pretty sad even then, but I understand they really let the place go in later years

Don

I am NOT old enough to remember that :)
But my Uncle used to collect cars, Model T and Model A - along with 2 (of each year ) for the 1st 3 years of Mustang, T-Bird. Then others like MGB, convert Mercedes but don't remember the years.

A silver 2012 SE with navi and you could barely see the DCFC door release handle in one photo just went unsold on EBAY, bidding got to $5k. Unknown reserve price, 22,908 miles at a Chevy dealer in Pensacola Florida.
Enough to make one ill.... :roll:

Lol, there have been a few that have gone unsold and no-reserve met stated.

I wonder if that NEW 2014 ever got sold...

I called the guy identified on the eBay post who said the reserve price was $9,990, which I thought high given the number of miles.

jray3 said:
A silver 2012 SE with navi and you could barely see the DCFC door release handle in one photo just went unsold on EBAY, bidding got to $5k. Unknown reserve price, 22,908 miles at a Chevy dealer in Pensacola Florida. Enough to make one ill.... :roll:
When we were on the waiting list for a new i-MiEV in late December 2011, we had no idea what the demand for or the availability of the i-MiEV would be. By February 2012 I got fed up waiting for the vehicle I had ordered and bought an SE off the showroom floor for, at that time, a good price. After witnessing Mitsubishi's lack of marketing and botched interaction with 'professional' 'reviewers', I've become convinced that we are simply beta-testers for Mitsubishi's conscious low-volume entry into the US EV market. To their credit, they are nationwide and not just a California compliance car. So, here we are, 3-1/2 years later. I have long ago resigned myself to having eaten the depreciation on my i-MiEV, as I simply keep cars and don't expect to sell them - which is why I'm fastidious about my battery.

I perhaps look at the used i-MiEV a little differently than others: what a bargain to be had! It is offering a low-cost introduction to EVs - the beauty of this is that even though the person buying the used i-MiEV may be skeptical of its suitability but is willing to 'chance it', after purchasing the i-MiEV the person comes to realize just how usable a vehicle with 'only' an official EPA 62-mile range really is in their everyday life. After a few months of charging at home, silent peppy acceleration, and zero maintenance, this newbie is now sold on electric cars!

If the prices keep dropping, I'll be very tempted to buy one just to let family and friends use for a few months at a time simply to let them see for themselves that EVs really do work! After all, aren't the primary goals zero emissions, renewable energy, and weening ourselves off fossil fuels?

Earlier this month, I bought my used 2012 SE I-miev off a dealer who had it on ebay. Had 12k on the clock, 6400. but NO remote :( (didn't know they had a remote until recently) Still figured it was a heII of a price!

Since I had to get mine in May because my truck went in the shop. I got it local. THey didn't want to go lower then their (k price, but I called and said I would take it today for $8,600.
More then I wanted to pay but OH so worth it!

I have seen some prices drop in the autotrader to $6 something but those were the Non QC ones.
I doubt they will go too much lower.
Not sure about Ebay, those things change daily.

yes, mine has he QC. No remote.....did I already say, no remote :? Still not complaining at 6400 with 12k on the clock. Lovin it and wish I had bought one earlier!

I have seen 2 low baller MIEVs sell

1 at Dan Goben sold for $4000, not the posted price but what he let it go for.
1 at Honda Motorwerks, higher miles $5000

I have been trying to get a low price one to replace my fathers ZX40, ah well, see how long it takes.

Prices seem to be higher now than they were 3 or 4 months ago honestly.

rmay635703 said:
I have seen 2 low baller MIEVs sell
1 at Dan Goben sold for $4000, not the posted price but what he let it go for.
1 at Honda Motorwerks, higher miles $5000
Those two prices are, by far, the lowest I've seen to date. These are off-the-lot prices and not auction prices?
rmay635703 said:
Prices seem to be higher now than they were 3 or 4 months ago honestly... I have been trying to get a low price one...
That has also been my impression. You might poke around and see if any used car lots have these sitting around ... never hurts to make a really low-ball cash offer for something a dealer knows little about and may simply want to clear out... :roll:

Back