If I buy out of state will a local dealer do warranty work

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigger19687

If I can get a great deal out of state and then have it shipped (or I tow it) home, WHO will do the warranty work if it needs any ?

Just curious as when I had bought my Dodge truck back in the 90's a local dealer said he wouldn't do the warranty work and that I had to go to the original dealer I bought it from.

I had not heard about that before. Have not had any real issues with other cars .

Didn't know if Mitsu was not as stuck up at American built vehicles :lol:

Although I guess a dealer can try to pull anything, technically they can't. You would have recourse such as contact a factory rep, contact the BBB, contact your state consumer affairs division, sue!

But If you had to resort to such measures, would you want that stealership to work on your car?

With Mitsubishi, your options may be few as they have the smallest US dealer network of any car made. In my area there's just 1. Even so, I've had no problem with them performing warranty work on our i-miev. But we purchased it used with only 8800 miles.

While we're talking used have you seen how many i-miev's are available used???? Many were leased for two years for $99 or even $69 and have come off lease. Most have low miles and some are selling for as low as $9000 dollars. At $99 or $69 a month people leased them just to play with as a third or fourth car. The one I got was purchased instead of leased. The guy that got it took the $7500 rebate and then quickly decided it was a little too limiting for him. Traded it for a Chevy Volt.

I would be fine with a Used, but they would have to sell them for under $8000. As I can get a New 2014 for 18000 - 7500 - 2500 (ma rebate) = 8000.

Good to know that any dealer should do the warranty :) I was Very young when that happened to me before :oops:

If you're in a tax bracket where you're paying $7500 or more to Uncle Sam each year then . . . . what's a few extra bucks to get a brand new car? - Go for it! :)

Any qualified Mitsu dealership will happily do warranty work on your car, no matter where you bought it. We just bought a used 2012 with 4,000 miles on it for $8500 out of state. Finding a dealer to service it is no problem

Don

tigger19687 said:
I would be fine with a Used, but they would have to sell them for under $8000. As I can get a New 2014 for 18000 - 7500 - 2500 (ma rebate) = 8000.
tigger19687, perhaps putting the cart before the horse? First, your $18K offer to the dealer needs to be accepted. Hope you're successful. We don't want to give someone reading this the wrong impression since the typical new prices have not dropped that low. While we're at it, how about sales tax and registration fees? - a used vehicle pays less, as sales tax is calculated on the pre-rebate/credit amount. By the standards of us early-adopters of three years ago, today's prices are great!

Back on topic, the warranty is by Mitsubishi and covers the cars which are sold in all states. Other than not having trained techs, I can't imagine a dealer refusing work, even though they're like the Maytag Repairman and rarely see one of these things in their shop.

http://www.biggersmitsubishi.com/Chicago/For-Sale/New/?Model=i-MiEV
Here you can see the cheap price. **** This price INCLUDES the $7500 Fed Credit **** so it is roughly $18000
I would not have said it if it was not possible. I may still have this dealer ship to me since he has the Blue I want.

Still trying to figure out how much a used one SHOULD be. I think $5000 tops, if a new 2014 would be $8000 after Fed and my state $2500 cash ;)
I still have plenty of time before I buy. So much snow on the ground and I will wait till the 2016 come out and see what they are willing to take for a new 2014 still sitting around :mrgreen:

JoeS said:
tigger19687 said:
tigger19687, perhaps putting the cart before the horse? First, your $18K offer to the dealer needs to be accepted. Hope you're successful. We don't want to give someone reading this the wrong impression since the typical new prices have not dropped that low. While we're at it, how about sales tax and registration fees? - a used vehicle pays less, as sales tax is calculated on the pre-rebate/credit amount. By the standards of us early-adopters of three years ago, today's prices are great!

Back on topic, the warranty is by Mitsubishi and covers the cars which are sold in all states. Other than not having trained techs, I can't imagine a dealer refusing work, even though they're like the Maytag Repairman and rarely see one of these things in their shop.

tigger19687 said:
Still trying to figure out how much a used one SHOULD be. I think $5000 tops, if a new 2014 would be $8000 after Fed and my state $2500 cash ;)
Not everyone will qualify for all of the $7500 tax credit . . . . many people don't qualify for any of it at all. Most folks don't live in a state which offers any state credit at all, so the price of a nice used one will never be as low as $5K

If I was to buy a new one tomorrow, my actual price would be more than $18K . . . . and then there are the transportation fees if I had to have it delivered from out of state. From my standpoint, a nice low mileage one for $10K would be a heck of a deal

Don

tigger19687 said:
http://www.biggersmitsubishi.com/Chicago/For-Sale/New/?Model=i-MiEV
Here you can see the cheap price. **** This price INCLUDES the $7500 Fed Credit **** so it is roughly $18000
I would not have said it if it was not possible. I may still have this dealer ship to me since he has the Blue I want.

I still have plenty of time before I buy. So much snow on the ground and I will wait till the 2016 come out and see what they are willing to take for a new 2014 still sitting around :mrgreen:

JoeS said:
tigger19687 said:

Only $229.000 left in the Massachusetts MOR-EV rebate program.

Cacti

Not all dealers. Depending on the nature of the work, Mitsubishi might allow any dealership to do it, or only a MiEV certified one.
You can search to see if your local dealers are certified.
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/dealers

I just wanted to update this thread as it states the Mor-EV amount has changed. Seems either they have taken out people that applied but did not get the car or got more money for the program.

I looked at it the other week and it listed $75,000 left. I almost panicked as I want the $$$

Looked today and it says
"Fiscal Year 2014-2015
Rebates Issued
$1,545,500
Currently Reserved $269,000
Remaining Funds $1,905,500"

That's a pretty big difference :eek:
I can wait and see if they drop the prices more on the used 2012 OR (in order to get the rebates) the 2014's

So I had a little experience this week with a local dealer...that I did not purchase the car from.

Oh, they were willing to take me in for an appointment... I haven't had the latest brake recall and the rust evaluation. And when I made the appointment, I told them I had an airbag warning light on. They said sure, bring it in.

When I got there, they wanted me to sign an agreement that I would pay a $150 diagnostic fee if it turned out that the reason the light was on was not due to a defect in a sensor or the system. I refused to sign.

I cancelled the repair work and told them the reason I was going to another dealer was because of their demand that I sign. My original dealer did not try to charge me to look into the airbag light. And they washed the car for me.

I wonder if I will get the same response here.
There is a dealer about 45 min from me.
They have a Used i but want like $12k for it.

When I said that I can get the same car for about $8 or 9k his response was.

"Yes, you can and have no ownership support or service department that specializes in this product..
you get what you pay for...."
my response was ..
"Wait, do you mean to say that if someone doesn't buy the car from you, you won't
do any of the warranty work on it ?"

He says " We will be glad to service that vehicle, no worries, but as we all know in
any business, our customer who purchase vehicles from us, service there
vehicles with us our going to get our priority..this is how it is in any
business.

We gladly service all makes and models and specialize in turbo and electric
vehicles for Mitsubishi Motors of North American. We are Mitsubishi of
North American flag ship dealer in the Northeast region with highest volume
sales, highest customer satisfaction in sales, service and parts."

Maybe it was the tone, or I miss understood. But in ANY Business, if you want REPEAT customers, you treat them ALL as a Priority !

It's a good thing that there are 2 other dealers that I can go to that are closer.

tigger19687 said:
I wonder if I will get the same response here.
There is a dealer about 45 min from me.
They have a Used i but want like $12k for it.
The dealer near me still has their used iMiev ES (no QC & 21k miles) for $14,963! I just think, nobody at that dealership really cares if that car sells. Thankfully the service department there has been really good about doing warranty work , even though we bought the iMiev from another dealer in Reading, PA.

I just looked at Autotrader again, there are now 238 iMievs for sale nationally (up from 190 or so when you posted a few weeks back). Prices seem to be softening as well, the lowest on Autotrader is now $7550. If I were you and really intent on saving some money, I'd keep waiting. I bet you could get one for $5k in a month or two.

I guess I'll be driving mine for a long time, just so I don't feel totally stupid for jumping the gun on the iMiev back in 2012. Thankfully, I'm quite happy with the car.

There are 195 used 2012
the 238 is including the 2014 and 2016.

Yeah I think the prices will start to drop even in a few weeks ! There is one for $7 in GA, but it was a FL car.
I am only looking at ones with QC.
But all the dealers are such jerks about lowering the price, and none of them know anything about this car let alone any EV.
duh !

To be honest, Mitsubishi Marketing department (the lack therof :lol: ) hasn't been accurate on the details of the i-MiEV, either.

We as owners know more about the cars than many of the dealers do. The dealer where I bought Koorz didn't know what the big issue was with a missing MiEV remote until they got one that had it.

Let the prices drop. Nearly all of the used 2012's for sale are former lease cars, and the buyout on them was reportedly horrendous, so they wouldn't have been bought out anyway unless someone wanted to spend $40,000 when all said and done. Hopefully the people that the i-MiEV is perfect for won't have an excuse not to get one.

I don't feel one regret with spending $27,000 on my white i-MiEV except that I didn't buy sooner.

Regarding warranty work, that message does have a negative feel to it. Basically, they're saying you'll wait longer on work for your car since you didn't buy from them. Similar to the owner/salesman of the Nissan dealer that chased me off of their quick charger, that's not a good business practice. You have to treat everybody as a potential customer. I may have recommended someone buy their LEAF there, no chance of that now. I wouldn't even use their quick charger again, especially now that they made up their minds to charge for it, after how they handled my situation. Same with my local Nissan dealer. The one salesman flipped out because the salesman I was talking to offered me a test drive of the LEAF, after I was there a month or so ago and drove the LEAF then. He said that I couldn't just keep coming in and test driving the car (requested one test drive and was offered a second, even after I told the salesman I was talking to that I previously test drove it). Guess what? That was the last time I drove a LEAF, but I do still use their chargers since their service manager is nice and drive a LEAF himself. I just stay away from sales ;) .

Back