Thoughts on Prices for 2016, New 2014, used 2012 (or 2014)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigger19687

I was thinking of getting a Used 2012 since Blue Book has them at around $7k to $9k. But Dealers are looking for $11k to $13k or even $16 k !!
I only need around 16 Miles a day for work, some times 40 or 45 if I have to go to a satellite facility.
The I-Miev fits that and is good till they make a longer distance EV. I will need one for long distance at some point but my Diesel is that till then.

So with there being a few 2012's around the East Coast it wouldn't be hard to get one (with QC).

Problem is, now that the 2016 is coming (possibly coming out in 1-3 Months) and there are still a bunch of NEW 2014's available, what would the price of the Used 2012 go down to ? Or what would a Dealer go down to to get rid of his 2014's?

I could get a New 2014 for $10k after Fed/State discounts and Mitsu has a $2000 incentive (till 3-3-2015) to finish getting rid of the 2014's Maybe less if I can get more off the top.

I guess I would need to know what all these Dealers are ACTUALLY paying at the Auction for these used 2012. I have a feeling it is around $4k
Nada 2012 http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2012/Mitsubishi/I-Electric/Hatchback-5D-ES/Values
Nada 2014 http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2014/Mitsubishi/I-Electric/Hatchback-5D-ES/Values

What say you ??

tigger19687 said:
So with there being a few 2012's around the East Coast it wouldn't be hard to get one...
True, but
(with QC).
Not so much. Many of them are bare bones base models, no quick charge.

I'm not so sure that a new model is coming so soon. There is nothing on Mitsubishi's website regarding the i-MiEV newer than June, 2014 that I could find.

Used without incentives vs. new with incentives, I'd personally jump for a new one (make sure you actually pay $7,500 or more in Federal Taxes in order to get that incentive). I doubt that you'll find any used 14's right now. The main reason there are any used 12's available are because of expiring leases and a handful of people that the car doesn't work for (or those that upgraded).

Thanks for the response. So far it seems that all but 1 or 2 from NJ to Boston all have the QC. But I am not willing to pay more then $7k for one.
After almost finishing my taxes this year (ugh) I know I will have that much in Taxes next year :(

There seems to be a bunch on the Illinois area of New 2014 Models ... in case anyone is wondering ;)
I would just need it shipped to Boston.
But I think I will wait till the 7 feet of Snow we have here has melted some ... or at least wait till it STOPS snowing :( :( :(

tigger19687 said:
Thanks for the response. So far it seems that all but 1 or 2 from NJ to Boston all have the QC. But I am not willing to pay more then $7k for one.(
There are now a few in PA - two sprung up near me just recently. (I look on www.autotrader.com.) One has been at a dealer since last June, NO QC, 21k miles, and they want nearly $15k! I think that's way over-priced. The other two near me (in Myerstown, PA) are listed at $10.9k, which I still think is over-priced, but I doubt that you can get one for $7k, but you never know, maybe the prices will drop. In fact, I'm sure they will if Mitsubishi announces a 2015 iMiev with any sort of improvements or price reduction (I kind of doubt it since they didn't sell more than a handful of 2014 models - so why would they bother??).

Yes, I was including PA in my list.
I was able to see many through Auto Trader, including the New 2014's
I sure hope they really want to get rid of them. Most were bought back in October and have sat on their lot.

Still would like to know what they pay at the auction

After talking to the Mitsubishi folks at the Pittsburgh Auto Show, it sounds like 2014 may be the last model year of the current i-MiEV. They are supposedly revamping the car for 2016. The main thing he mentioned (though pure speculation at this point) was a 200 mile range. So for 2016, we'll probably see the Nissan-Mitsubishi joint world car, though I hope it retains the distinctive i shape, maybe a foot longer for legroom.

PV1 said:
After talking to the Mitsubishi folks at the Pittsburgh Auto Show, it sounds like 2014 may be the last model year of the current i-MiEV.
Really? Read today's Green Car Reports telling us the 2016 model deliveries will start next month:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ectric-minicar-to-start-deliveries-next-month

[Mitsubishi] did, however, tell InsideEVs that it would adjust the mix of options fitted to the car to suit buyer preferences better.

How does Mitsubishi assess buyer preferences?

BTW, PV1, I don't want a longer (or wider) car - I just want to be able to move the seat back a bit more.

So, Green Car Reports picked up the InsideEVs story and the saga continues... makes me wonder why Mitsu is giving dealers $2000 at this moment?

Hi everyone I’m new here and have been lurking for a few weeks.

I had made an appointment with a local dealer recently to drive the I ( a 2012 that they use as a “shuttle”) Afterwards I discussed ordering and they offered the opportunity to order a 2016. The dealer claimed that I could (probably) get it delivered in 6 to 8 weeks.

The standard equipment list is too long to type. However if someone wants it I have a scanned PDF copy which could be emailed. Mostly the same or very similar to the 2014. Notably the cabin heat is described as “Electric compressor cabin heating”. The battery capacity is not listed. I would be surprised if it is larger. Pricing stays the same as 2014 with a $2000.00 nav system (yawn) offered as the major option available. Nice EV and affordable I want one. Now I just need to convince my wife :?:

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt said:
Now I just need to convince my wife :?:
Aerowhatt

Hi Aerowhatt, and welcome to the most sensible corner of the EV-iverse.
If your domestic experience mirrors the rest of ours and you get the wife's begrudging consent, take it! Promise that the clown car will be your responsibility alone and that she always gets dibs on whatever luxo-ride currently inhabits your driveway. Give it a month or two, and she will have named the car and you'll be lucky to get much time behind the wheel at all.. :roll:

If they really have upgraded the air conditioning to work as a heat pump, that'd be a great improvement!

Going one step further, I'd love to see an EV that uses a water-source heat pump so that an insulated reservoir of pre-heated hot water can be drawn upon, and once that heat is exhausted, then the valve open the motor coolant loop to scavenge waste heat, and lastly the radiator to extract what little atmospheric heat there is available. In deep-freeze conditions, the compressor should remain locked out and an in-duct electric strip heat used rather than reheating the whole water loop, as is done now. With such a design, during summer the system could also pre-chill the reservoir of water for air conditioning. That added water weight would be more valuable than additional batteries on an energy density basis, and exponentially so on the basis of cost for performance!

Give it a month or two, and she will have named the car and you'll be lucky to get much time behind the wheel at all.. :roll:

Yes like the ferrel kitten I brought home last june. A super cool little guy with a great attitude. You could just tell seconds after meeting him. After a couple of days of frowns and disapproving looks from my wife he won her over and they are inseparable now!

Heating EV is challenging. With the most efficient way becoming very inefficient at low ambient temps. I had good luck using ceramic heater cores (somewhat self regulating) on conversion DC motor Lead Acid cars. Mostly for defrosting since battery packs are more like 7 Kwh usable. But instant heat and all in the cabin with no ancillary losses.

In a lagging attempt to be on topic (?) I keep reading about a current $2000.00 incentive from Mitsu. Can someone fill me in on the details or direct me to it?

Aerowhatt

I'd take the "Electric Compressor Cabin Heater" with a grain of salt, as the same feature was listed on the 2014, which simply has electric resistance heating.

The waste heat loop definitely has potential to provide useful heat, if not to the cabin, then the battery. I'd love to see something done with that.

JoeS, that's what I said to the Mitsubishi rep. I wouldn't mind a larger battery, definitely a faster charger, and maybe a foot longer purely for legroom (though I'd have no use for that). Take the current i-MiEV, put a heat pump in it, a 24 kWh battery, and a 6.6 kW charger. That'd sure give the LEAF a run for its money.

I hope they continue with the i-MiEV. It's a wonderfully engineered vehicle that just needs some commitment from upper management.

Can you look on that list you have for the 2016 and see if it lists the 3.3kW charger or the 6.6 kW Charger
It should list somewhere the Battery size.
What was the price they said ?

That would make all the difference to many thinking of buying.

I have to remember where I saw that $2000 discount, It was Edmunds.com

Aerowhatt said:
In a lagging attempt to be on topic (?) I keep reading about a current $2000.00 incentive from Mitsu. Can someone fill me in on the details or direct me to it?
Aerowhatt

Regarding the $2k incentive. Mitsu did something similar to move out the remaining 2012 vehicles, giving an unadvertised $10k allowance to the dealers. This was only known by... knowledgeable buyers who were able to negotiate that into their deal. Dealers who could sell the car at sticker price pocketed an extra $10k!
Here's what Edmunds.com has to say on the subject.
Dealer Cash Dealer Cash
Requirements and Restrictions:
Dealer Delivery Bonus Cash is available towards retail purchases only. May be combined with available Customer Cash but cannot be combined with any finance offers from Mitsubishi Motors Credit of America, Ally Financial, Capital One Auto or AmeriCredit. Please note that dealer cash is payable to the dealer and not the consumer. Accordingly, dealer cash incentives are taken into consideration when Edmunds determines the True Market Value® of a vehicle, as well as by the dealer when it sets its Edmunds.com Price Promise® offer. These incentives for the dealer are applied independently of any customer incentives the manufacturer may be offering directly to the consumer.
Dealer Cash Start End
$2,000 02/03/2015 03/02/2015

jray3 said:
Regarding the $2k incentive. Mitsu did something similar to move out the remaining 2012 vehicles, giving an unadvertised $10k allowance to the dealers. This was only known by... knowledgeable buyers who were able to negotiate that into their deal. Dealers who could sell the car at sticker price pocketed an extra $10k!
Here's what Edmunds.com has to say on the subject.
Dealer Cash Dealer Cash
Requirements and Restrictions:
Dealer Delivery Bonus Cash is available towards retail purchases only. May be combined with available Customer Cash but cannot be combined with any finance offers from Mitsubishi Motors Credit of America, Ally Financial, Capital One Auto or AmeriCredit. Please note that dealer cash is payable to the dealer and not the consumer. Accordingly, dealer cash incentives are taken into consideration when Edmunds determines the True Market Value® of a vehicle, as well as by the dealer when it sets its Edmunds.com Price Promise® offer. These incentives for the dealer are applied independently of any customer incentives the manufacturer may be offering directly to the consumer.
Dealer Cash Start End
$2,000 02/03/2015 03/02/2015

Thank you for that. So with a little tact I should be able to be able to get 25% to 50% of that passed on to me, the buyer. Saving a few dollars and still making it more attractive to the dealer to sell some EV's (well at least one)

Aerowhatt

If you have a decent dealer, you should be able to receive all of that. There happened to be $6,000 dealer cash when I bought my white car, which the dealer passed wholly onto me.

PV1 said:
If you have a decent dealer, you should be able to receive all of that. There happened to be $6,000 dealer cash when I bought my white car, which the dealer passed wholly onto me.
Yes- take that entire $2k! I got a $10k markdown on my second i-MiEV before we even got serious about valuation of the trade-in.

PV1 said:
If you have a decent dealer

Sort of an oxymoron in my experience :roll: Plus, I don't want to be greedy . . . Good to know though. Any idea what their (dealers) standard margin is on one at current MSRP?????

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt said:
PV1 said:
If you have a decent dealer

Sort of an oxymoron in my experience :roll: Plus, I don't want to be greedy . . . Good to know though. Any idea what their (dealers) standard margin is on one at current MSRP?????

Aerowhatt

If you're getting MSRP minus the dealer cash, don't worry about being greedy — they'll get their margin through that. If you can negotiate below that, go for it.

I'm thinking that a dealers standard margin on these cars is lower than the Gassers??? Something has to explain their complete lack of enthusiasm for selling one. When we looked at the leaf last year they immediately tried to steer us into a gasser off the lot. Is there another explanation for this sales resistance? what am I missing if it isn't lower margins?

Aerowhatt

I also look at what they will offer in discounts.
New Grad, Military, loyal customer. add all those up and they are willing to take at least that amount off the MSRP.

Or so that is my thinking

Back