New or preowned?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iMievdreamin

I am looking at purchasing an iMiev, but I am not sure whether to look at new or preowned.
I read some of the posts and it sounds like nobody is really sure if you get the full $7,500.00
tax rebate/credit from the Fed.'s? I did not know it depends on your total income for the year.
No one seems really sure if the warranty is transferrable on a clear title for a preowned I.
I have also heard a rumor that Mitsubishi will be pulling out of the american market in 2 years?

Mitsubishi's demise has been rumored for several years now - I wouldn't put too much stock in it

You definitely need to get with a tax professional and figure out what your status would be - You can get a quick idea by looking at your last year's tax return. I believe it's line 46 of your tax form 1040 . . . . whatever number is there is the actual number you would have received (actually, you wouldn't 'receive' anything - You just wouldn't owe that amount to the government) if you had bought the car last year. Unless you're moderately wealthy, that number is probably something between zero and $7500

If you don't qualify for a very big number, a good used low mileage 2012 for $10K to $12K would be very tempting. I'm 98% sure the factory warranty would transfer to you as the new owner.

Don

Does anyone know who I could call or e-mail at Mitsubishi to find
out if warranties are transferable? Has anyone on the forum purchased
a preowned iMiev and had the warranty transferred? If so, how did you
go about it?

in Europe for Mitsubishi, the 2 years full car warranty & 5years-50.000km battery+motor warranty are linked to the chassis number, not to the owner.

I don't know how it works in case of warranty extension purchased when car is new, to be checked with Mitsubishi retailer or in the contract.

Mitsubishi says their warranties are transferable

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/service/warranty

I'm not 100% certain, but I think in the USA, any car warranty is transferable when the car is sold used

Don

Yes, we just purchased a pre-owned i-Miev and the warranties transfer. Confirmed with the local Mitsubishi dealer and from the selling dealership. Also confirmed by creating an account with MitsubishiMNA.com. All cars are tracked by their VIN number so Mitsubishi website gave me all the warranty expiration dates based upon the date of original purchase (in service date).

By the way, great car! My wife loves it even more than she thought she would. Meets all her needs with no range anxiety. We bought a 2012 ES with QC, only 8800 miles on the odometer for $10,500 plus tax. $191 a month.

If purchasing new, you may qualify for up to $7500 tax credit, but not more than your tax liabilty. If you don't owe at least $7500 dollars after all your other credits, then you won't get the full credit. My wife and I are in that category so we preferred to find a great deal on a used one. We always prefer low mileage used cars and this is our second used EV. We also own a Chevrolet Volt that we bought two years ago. Had 3300 miles on it when we got it but that one now has 35,650 miles.

I am looking into an iMiev for my son to use around the city. There is a new 2012 SE with the premium option and a new 2014 ES. What is a decent price to pay for the 2012?

New or preowned? I think it does come down to the subsidy and how it affects you. If your household pays federal income taxes (remember that does not include FICA taxes collected to pay for future Medicare and Soc.Security retirement benefits), then keep in mind that the i-MiEV will "cancel out" your federal income taxes, up to $7500 - so the higher your taxes (up to $7500 anyway), the higher the subsidy. You also need to remember that this subsidy is not available to you at purchase time - you'll have to pay or finance the full price of the car, then get the tax credit when you next file your income taxes. Right now (it being June going on July), that means you're half a year away from getting that money back.

Once you know what a new i-MiEV is going to cost you (i.e., sticker minus either your federal tax bill or $7500, whichever is less), you need to compare that with the pricing for used i-MiEVs in your market. A complicating factor is that the 2012 and 2014 models were equipped very differently, so nothing is exactly comparable. In 2012, Mitsubishi offered the i-MiEV in what amounted to three trim levels - ES, SE, and SE Premium (technically, the Premium was just an option package on the SE, but it cost as much again as the ES->SE trim level upgrade), hoping that most buyers would opt for the higher-margin SEs. To add real confusion to the mix, Mitsubishi made CHAdeMO quick-charging standard on the SE Premium, a $700 option on the ES, and not available at all on the SE.

Things are much simpler in 2014. There is only one trim level, ES, and no factory options whatever - everything's standard equipment. 2014's ES effectively combines the 2012's ES "black on black" interior color scheme with the 2012 SE's additional equipment (upgraded radio, fog lights, aluminum wheels, etc.), standard CHAdeMO charging, and a few minor but desirable new features (12A Level 1 charging, heated passenger seat, illuminated charge port). The advanced entertainment and nav system components of the SE Premium are no longer available.

I mention all this because you'll need to decide what features have what value to you in order to make a value judgment. The lack of brown and silver color accents aside, the 2014 is basically the same as a 2012 SE plus CHAdeMO. If you care about quick charging, a 2012 SE (and many ES as well) won't have CHAdeMO. If you're interested in the SE Premium's fancy electronics package, you can't get that for any price in a 2014 (though of course you could install your own afermarket radio). And of course, one big advantage that pre-owned i-MiEVs have is that their prices should reflect the fact that they're competing with new cars carrying $7500 tax credits, a credit their original buyers have already collected (though remember that the cars they bought also had a roughly $7500 higher MSRP comparably equipped). If your household expects to have little or no federal tax liability for 2014, a good condition used SE Premium is probably worth at least as much as the subsidized price of a new 2014 ES, since you can't get the subsidy.

Sorting through all this should allow you to figure out what any particular 2012 is worth to you. That's going to be very important to know, because this is an extremely thin market with very few recorded transactions, so prices in well-known references like Kelly Blue Book will be highly speculative, and I'm not sure there's any such thing as a "fair" price. You can count on dealers in particular to be listing any used i-MiEVs they might have with the highest price they could possibly imagine anyone paying (since nobody really knows what they're worth and the dealer can only negotiate down from the sticker, never up), so if buying from a dealer you'll need to negotiate hard, and that can only work if you have a pretty clear sense of the car's value to you.

415 said:
I am looking into an iMiev for my son to use around the city. There is a new 2012 SE with the premium option and a new 2014 ES. What is a decent price to pay for the 2012?
I didn't think there was any uch thing as a 2014 ES - Did you mean SE?

If both are truly 'new' with a factory warranty which starts the day you buy the car I think you have to decide how much more the 2014 is worth to you personally, since any rebates or tax credits would be the same for both cars

If you could buy the 2014 for $23,500, I think for me personally, that would make the 2012 an OK deal for about $17,500

However . . . . keep in mind that in September of 2013 Mitsu offered a $10K rebate to each dealer to help sell any remaining 2012's they still had in stock, and most dealerships gave all or most of that $10K to whoever bought the car . . . . so, the dealer might very well be able to sell any 2012 still around for even less than the $17,500

I would ask lots of questions and the responses I got would go a long way toward making the decision for me

Don

2014: ES or SE
For the record, the Mitsubishi web site shows the 2014 model as an ES only.

2012, ES, silver with QC
Leased, Feb 2013

Thanks, that is very helpful. I drive a Fusion energi so know a fair amount about plug-ins but am much less knowledgeable about pure EV. (I also have a level 2 charger installed in our garage which would be helpful with the iMiev) If I could get the 2012 for $17,000 to $18,000 before credits that would be great. We would be able to use the credits, $7,500 federal and $2,500 check in CA. Couple more questions.... thanks again. Since the original MSRP was $36,000+ would I have to pay taxes on the pre-discounted price? I would not like to pay 10% on the extra $18,000 or so from $36,000 to $18,000. I'm also concerned about the battery itself if it has been sitting on the lot for 2 years. What can/should I check about that?

if the 2012 is new and you can get it below 18k it is a great bargain. I bought a 2012 SE Premium with all options for $19k and got my $12.5 tax credits (I'm in Georgia, $5k state tax credit in addition to federal) . I love my iMiev.

iMievdreamin said:
Does anyone know who I could call or e-mail at Mitsubishi to find
out if warranties are transferable? Has anyone on the forum purchased
a preowned iMiev and had the warranty transferred? If so, how did you
go about it?

I bought a 2012 IMiev from a Buick dealer in Ann Arbor Michigan, they told me the warranty would be transferrable. After I took it to Livonia Mitsubishi dealer that transferred the warranty into my name. I live in Detriot Michigan area. Also the car was considered used because it was registered to a dealer as a demo. Hope this helps. :)

415 said:
Since the original MSRP was $36,000+ would I have to pay taxes on the pre-discounted price? I would not like to pay 10% on the extra $18,000 or so from $36,000 to $18,000. I'm also concerned about the battery itself if it has been sitting on the lot for 2 years. What can/should I check about that?
You'll need to check with your state to see how that will work. Here in Mississippi they use a 'book' to determine car values and what tax to charge. When we bought our 2012 new, we got it for less than the MSRP but since they looked it up in their book, we actually were taxed for more than what we paid for the car
zulyter said:
Also the car was considered used because it was registered to a dealer as a demo
Yes, in order to use the car at all, the dealership must put it "into service" so far as the warranty is concerned, so if they did that two years ago, your normal 3 year bumper to bumper warranty is reduced to just one year remaining. In addition, your 5 year powertrain warranty would only have 3 years remaining and your 8 year battery warranty would have 6 years left. The good news is the warranties all do transfer, so you're covered for everything, but the date the coverage began was whenever the dealer put it into service and the warranty expiration is based on that date

Don

Bought the 'new' 2012 SE today with premium package, silver with brown interior. Never registered so will get the tax credits. Paid $18,000, $19,920 out the door with $7,500 fed credit and $2,500 CA rebate to lower total price to $9,920. Bought it for my son to use back and forth to college, but I am going to use it until he starts.

Looking forward to getting to know it better.

One question, (of many to come), sorry if in the wrong place: Can I adjust the steering wheel? It is really awkward.

415 said:
One question, (of many to come), sorry if in the wrong place: Can I adjust the steering wheel? It is really awkward.
Good deal on the car! Now, subtract the gas that will not be purchased in the comming five years of projected use. You may like the number. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, no. The stearing wheel is not adjustable.

Back